• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I think it is smart for AOC to be radical on it and try to move the center. A more mainstream Democrat in the election may be able to grab those moderates as a practical matter. BUT what I wrote is still true. We the human species are hosed if we do not do something radical about environmental policy. Republicans understand moving the center Rightward by sticking to their guns. Democrats generally don't do this and we all end up suffering as a result. So, I say don't stifle her. She's right and people need to be aware of it. The more awareness will influence moderates and again, come election time when a more mainstream candidate wins the primary, they will be more appealing.
According to most current reports, it's already too late in the sense that we can't mitigate the worst effects of climate change at this point.

Also, Harry, do you have any evidence that it was the left that politicized being pro-environmentalism? It seems to me that it occurred the other way around. Back in the 70s, both parties were, to some extent, pro-conservation, and it was the right that drifted into a more pro-business friendly stance over the decades. I could be wrong, but that's my impression from what little I paid attention back in the day.

Well, I misspoke a little. Look the republicans are totally fucking insane regarding science. No responsible person should ever vote republican due to their preference to believe in magic rather than science. However, there is a real debate within the scientific community that because the republicans are so powerful, and dems so weak (easily divided) that we have to put up with republicans. The stakes are too high. The debate is that maybe we should not criticize their beliefs. Go along with their craziness, but fight for small victories under the table.

Both cash payments and SNAP/food stamps (no longer actual stamps) are accessed through EBT (electronic benefit transfer).

Yes, she should not have had six children and ended up on food stamps.

Maybe if funds for public health programs had not been cut so much, and if she had received more support and a better education, she would have started using birth control at an earlier age.
True. That's where I part ways with conservatives on this. I am a big believer in real sex education as well as giving people access to birth control options.

Maybe she would have gone on to further her education. Her husband is a very nice man, who isn't educated and probably doesn't have the intelligence to further his education.
I wonder if her husband is the father of all her kids, including the one she had at 15. Was it a shotgun wedding?

He works as a fork life operator. He takes any over time that is offered to him. He's a good father and husband. I've never asked my friend why she doesn't work, but one of her children is still too young to be home alone. Day care averages about 150 a week where I live and I live in a relatively low cost area. One of her kids has a learning disability. She is going to try to home school him because he has so many problems behaving in school. ( She's an atheist by the way, religion has nothing to do with her decision. )
They knew they did not make much. So why not get fixed after say two of them? Why make six?

I see the comments in media comment sections that I visit. People don't complain about fraud. They say things like, "I work for my money and my taxes should never go to help feed people." That's how selfish and uncaring many in our society have become.
That would indeed be selfish and uncaring. I am fine with my tax moneys going to help people. However, if I see people paying with EBT that have more luxuries (at least overt ones) than I do - more expensive clothes (like baller sneakers on kids or LV purses), fancy phones or a nice, big SUV (most likely leased), then I do not have much sympathy. That is not most SNAP recipients, but people tend to notice people like that.

When it comes to SNAP, I would have no problem if people could no longer use it to buy junk food like chips and candy, but I think it's fine if they use part of their benefit to treat themselves to some healthy foods that are expensive now and then.
I agree. It's important to have treat yourself sometimes, as long as it is reasonable.

Sorry to go on a rant, but all of my working life, I primarily served poor people that needed help. Most of them were decent people. Most of them work or worked prior to their retirement or disability. I get a little upset when I see people making unsubstantiated judgments about them. And Loren. I think even the poorest person should be able to have a little something special at times. Oh and phones. I've offered to give my older phone to a friend that needed money, so you don't even know the details of where these people got their phones from, do you?

Smart phones are no longer a luxury. Even without service, they can be useful as internet devices on wifi. And there are really affordable ones. So I do not begrudge anybody a smart phone. It is not 2007 any longer. But if you have the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, then there is something wrong with your priorities. Same with cars. Not a luxury most places, but some cars definitely are.
If you see people like that, you can tell they are in that situation because of priorities. And they will never improve their situation while having to get the newest shiny thing.

Conservatives just can't resist judgemental replies to anecdotal posting. It's one family, dude. You actually go around inspecting the attire of family members of welfare recipiants to the point of reading the name on their sneakers? Do you have night-time binoculars and a telescope too? JFC!

I am fine with my tax moneys going to help people. However, if I see people paying with EBT that have more luxuries (at least overt ones) than I do - more expensive clothes (like baller sneakers on kids or LV purses), fancy phones or a nice, big SUV (most likely leased), then I do not have much sympathy. That is not most SNAP recipients, but people tend to notice people like that.

My mother worked in her youth. Her mother worked hard her whole life. I work hard. My sister works hard. My brother works hard. Now, given all that, when I was a kid I was poor--to include my mother being on food stamps, AFDC, WIC, etc. First, I have to ask why assume our money came from people like you instead of from ourselves. We all worked and contributed tax to the govt which is somewhat like insurance. Since you don't know the particular people in question personally, maybe they've paid for themselves, so to speak. Second, why assume their fancy sneakers or whatever were paid with these govt programs as opposed to gifted to them from wealthier relatives/friends or from some other source. I mean, when I was a kid and dirt poor, hardly food in the fridge quite often, I had a couple of well-to-do aunts who on occasion may have given me Christmas gifts of nice clothes. So, if you saw me, you'd assume I bought nice clothes with welfare checks or whatever. Third, the whole thing about luxury item restrictions for poor people is a bit of an arbitrary and unfair requirement from nowhere. Why can't poor people have several nice things, even if paid for with govt checks. Why can't they treat themselves to a nice meal a couple of times a month. I really have to recommend some empathy here--not sympathy, but try to treat others like people.
Derec is like that now infamous quote from the trumpster fire supporter, "He's not hurting the people he should be hurting." For some reason (other than a complete lack of empathy?), right wingers thing poor people should suffer more for being poor. As is they have any bloody clue what it's like and what their circumstances might be.

Conservatives just can't resist judgemental replies to anecdotal posting. It's one family, dude. You actually go around inspecting the attire of family members of welfare recipiants to the point of reading the name on their sneakers? Do you have night-time binoculars and a telescope too? JFC!
These kinds of judgemental arguments ignore the possibility of people that have fallen on hard times. Maybe the family was doing good, then layoffs or severe medical problems hit them, or both. In the news on the shutdown there was mentioned an air traffic controller who has a baby on the way, and now no paycheck. If he has to get SNAP or other type of assistance will the same people argue that this person shouldn't have had a kid if they couldn't afford it?

Back then there were so many loopholes it looked like Swiss cheese. Most people didn't actually pay those high rates. (But we will never know the true data as most of the issue was dodges that kept it from being reported as income in the first place, thus there's nothing in the IRS records to use to figure it out.)

The very rich didn't pay those high rates because, instead of paying that rate, they put their money back into their businesses or paid their employees more. That's why back then, CEOs made only thirty times what the worker under them made. Today, CEOs make 1000 times more and many times even more than that. Low tax rates on the 1% equals fuck over the worker.

Wishful thinking.

1) The issue was making things look like corporate expenses rather than personal income. That's not actually putting money into the business.

2) CEOs make more compared to workers now because companies are bigger now. CEO pay vs worker pay is mostly a function of company size.

I think it's because of the fraud. We buy most of our produce from a couple of Hispanic markets here--and the number of people we see using EBT to buy expensive food is huge. Said people are also very often talking on expensive cell phones in the checkout.

This thread is going in all different directions but let me at least respond to this. No. I don't think fraud has much if anything to do with it. And, I'm skeptical of your remark that you often see people buying expensive things with EBT. Did you mean SNAP, the benefit that provides help with food? EBT payments average 125 per month. I think that refers to cash payments. They are hard to get, limited to a five years and aren't the same as SNAP, so I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.

Ok, could be SNAP. I'm talking about the cards that replaced the old food stamps.

But, I do have a 39 year old friend who receives SNAP benefits. She has four school age children living at home and a husband who works full-time. They do have phones but they are on her mother's plan and I have no idea how much her phones cost her or if they were a gift. How do you know the circumstances of these people's lives that you see in the grocery store? You don't.

The point is while some may be legitimate I see far too many. And many are modern high end phones, not castoffs.

Some would say that my friend should never have had so many children. Well, she actually had six, but two are grown and she was 15 when she had the first one. Maybe if funds for public health programs had not been cut so much, and if she had received more support and a better education, she would have started using birth control at an earlier age.

I do agree our system has some serious problems that lead to things like having a kid at 15. That's no reason for having six, though.

I see the comments in media comment sections that I visit. People don't complain about fraud. They say things like, "I work for my money and my taxes should never go to help feed people." That's how selfish and uncaring many in our society have become. Sorry, but I don't understand that attitude. We aren't a poor country. People don't always make the best decisions. Should their children be left to go hungry because their parents had them? Should those that use the system honestly be punished because a tiny number abuse it? When it comes to SNAP, I would have no problem if people could no longer use it to buy junk food like chips and candy, but I think it's fine if they use part of their benefit to treat themselves to some healthy foods that are expensive now and then.

People work for their money is indirectly a complaint that those on welfare don't work.

She's 29. They're looking at her for two reasons as far as I can tell.

First off, she's attractive and also unattainable. These guys (cough cough Derec) wouldn't have a chance even if they somehow managed to get in the same room with her.

Second - and this is far more important - she's got a long political career ahead of her by all indications. The bogeymen (or bogeywomen) of the right wing are the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton. They're in their 70s and won't be around for the next generation of wingers to demonize. A O-C will provide them with decades of paranoid fantasies they can spew to the villagers. The reason they're so worked up about her isn't the policies or the dancing video, but because she's the future of their twisted obsession with strong women.

These kinds of judgemental arguments ignore the possibility of people that have fallen on hard times. Maybe the family was doing good, then layoffs or severe medical problems hit them, or both. In the news on the shutdown there was mentioned an air traffic controller who has a baby on the way, and now no paycheck. If he has to get SNAP or other type of assistance will the same people argue that this person shouldn't have had a kid if they couldn't afford it?

These kinds of responses ignore the fact that the people qualify for EBT. For fucks sake. We either do or do not let people starve.

It's official. The neoliberals are coming after her. In their condescending piece to the rest of the public, Politico claims AOC is out of touch, isolating herself and risks the party as a whole.

The gloves are almost all the way off. And, I'll mention, that I would not be a bit surprised to learn that neoliberal fingerprints were all over the bathtub thing.

It's official. The neoliberals are coming after her. In their condescending piece to the rest of the public, Politico claims AOC is out of touch, isolating herself and risks the party as a whole.

The gloves are almost all the way off. And, I'll mention, that I would not be a bit surprised to learn that neoliberal fingerprints were all over the bathtub thing.

Neoliberals as in those who support laissez-faire economics and free market capitalism?

I agree. They hate her.

Ocasio-Cortez hits back at Dems fretting over her ‘Twitter star’ status | Fox News
“She needs to decide: Does she want to be an effective legislator or just continue being a Twitter star?” one House Democrat told the outlet. “There’s a difference between being an activist and a lawmaker in Congress.”

That sentiment was echoed by former Sen. Joe Lieberman, who said on Fox Business Network that Ocasio-Cortez should not be the future of the party.

“With all respect,” he told Fox Business’ Neil Cavuto on Thursday, “I certainly hope she’s not the future and I don’t believe she is.”

“If you look at the majority of new Democrats in the House, they tend to be, I say, center-left, if they are not left-left,” he said. “And that is because they had to be center-left to win some of those competitive swing districts that they took from Republicans. So that’s the hope.”

But Ocasio-Cortez swiped back with a snarky: “New party, who dis?” (a play on “new phone, who dis?” a meme people use to pretend not to know who a texter is).
About that Politico article, she tweeted in response
To quote Alan Moore: “None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with YOU. You're locked up in here with ME.” 🤣
That article: Exasperated Democrats try to rein in Ocasio-Cortez - POLITICO
So far, most of them have kept their criticism of Ocasio-Cortez private, fearful she’ll sic her massive following on them by firing off a tweet. But a few are engaging with her in the hopes she’ll opt for a different M.O., especially when it comes to trying to take out Democrats in primaries.
Seems like the Republicans with Donald Trump.

Ocasio-Cortez hits back at Dems fretting over her ‘Twitter star’ status | Fox News

About that Politico article, she tweeted in response

That article: Exasperated Democrats try to rein in Ocasio-Cortez - POLITICO
So far, most of them have kept their criticism of Ocasio-Cortez private, fearful she’ll sic her massive following on them by firing off a tweet. But a few are engaging with her in the hopes she’ll opt for a different M.O., especially when it comes to trying to take out Democrats in primaries.
Seems like the Republicans with Donald Trump.

Very much so in more ways than one.

What Trump and AOC seem to have figured out and understood very well is that it's imperative to remain connected to your constituents on a constant basis. I myself don't use my Twitter account, but I see how effective it is for certain people. The exclusive access the corporate media has traditionally enjoyed has allowed them (and the Pentegon and intelligence agencies that use them as their PR arm) to control the narrative that maintains politicians to doing their collective bidding for them. Those days appear to be coming to an end and, incidentally, is also the reason for the assult on social media by the three entities through congress.

Neoliberals as in those who support laissez-faire economics and free market capitalism?

I agree. They hate her.

Oh come on! Don't let the Russian Bots control your message. I love AOC. Love her brashfullness and willingness to confront the republicans and Fox. I'd personally never vote for a politician who uses twitter or social media to bypass the media. Never. Trumps use of twitter has come close to starting wars, tanking Wall Street, causing havoc with our allies, and etc. His use should be outlawed by congress. Secondly, I'm willing to listen to her and give her a chance. She's too my left - no doubt about that. That's okay. But she has to understand that she was elected in one of the most liberal areas in the country. I don't like her mocking more conservative democrats who come from conservative districts.

Oh come on! Don't let the Russian Bots control your message. I love AOC. Love her brashfullness and willingness to confront the republicans and Fox. I'd personally never vote for a politician who uses twitter or social media to bypass the media. Never. Trumps use of twitter has come close to starting wars, tanking Wall Street, causing havoc with our allies, and etc. His use should be outlawed by congress. Secondly, I'm willing to listen to her and give her a chance. She's too my left - no doubt about that. That's okay. But she has to understand that she was elected in one of the most liberal areas in the country. I don't like her mocking more conservative democrats who come from conservative districts.

Tool: (noun)

1.) A guy with a hugely over-inflated ego, who in an attempt to get un-due attention for himself, will act like a jackass, because, in his deluded state, he will think it's going to make him look cool, or make others want to be like him. The person may even insincerely apologize later on, but only in an attempt to get more attention, or to excuse his blatantly intentional, and unrepentantly tool-ish behavior.

2.) Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

3.) Someone who others normally refer to as a prick, dick, or schmuck.

4.) Someone who acts like a dick, because...well...he's compensating.

5.) Kanye West

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tool

Tool: (noun)

1.) A guy with a hugely over-inflated ego, who in an attempt to get un-due attention for himself, will act like a jackass, because, in his deluded state, he will think it's going to make him look cool, or make others want to be like him. The person may even insincerely apologize later on, but only in an attempt to get more attention, or to excuse his blatantly intentional, and unrepentantly tool-ish behavior.

2.) Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

3.) Someone who others normally refer to as a prick, dick, or schmuck.

4.) Someone who acts like a dick, because...well...he's compensating.

5.) Kanye West

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tool

Sorry, but I'm not following you... I'm not into social media meme's of today. What are you trying to say?

Back
Top Bottom