• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

AOC is standing firm on the side of workers yet again.
President Biden on Twitter: "I'm calling on Congress ...." / Twitter
I'm calling on Congress to pass legislation immediately to adopt the Tentative Agreement between railroad workers and operators. Let me be clear: a rail shutdown would devastate our economy. Without freight rail, many U.S. industries would shut down. As a proud pro-labor President, I'm reluctant to override the ratification procedures and views of those who voted against the agreement.

But in this case – where the economic impact of a shutdown would hurt millions – I believe Congress must use its powers to adopt this deal. No one should have to choose between their job and their health – or the health of their children. I have pressed legislation and proposals to advance the cause of paid leave in my two years in office, and will continue to do so. At this critical moment for our economy, in the holiday season, we cannot hurl the U.S. into a devastating rail freight shutdown.

Congress should get this bill to my desk as soon as possible so we can avoid disruption.
Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Railroad workers grind themselves to the bone for this country as their labor produces billions for Wall St.
They demand the basic dignity of paid sick days. I stand with them.
If Congress intervenes, it should be to have workers’ backs and secure their demands in legislation." / Twitter
Then
BMWED on Twitter: "Thank you, Rep. Ocasio-Cortez. We appreciate your support and your vote on this matter." / Twitter
Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Stay strong 💪🏽 we’ve got your back" / Twitter

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "The last time we stood with @Teamsters Local 202, we stared down a national food crisis over resistance to a $1 raise.
Back then, railroad workers stood with us. They turned trains around to not cross a picket line.
We won then, and we can win now. Let’s get these sick days 💪🏽 (vid link)" / Twitter

Jake Sherman on Twitter: "NEW PELOSI DEAR COLLEAGUE — House will vote tomorrow on ratifying the rail deal AND a separate vote on seven days of paid leave.
The paid leave element lines up w what ⁦@SenSanders⁩ wants the senate to consider. (pic link)" / Twitter
  • First, we will consider the strike-averting legislation to adopt the Tentative Agreement, as negotiated by the railroad companies and labor leaders.
  • Next, we will have a separate, up-or- down vote to add seven days of paid sick leave for railroaders to the Tentative Agreement.
  • Then, we will send this package to the Senate, which will then go directly to President Biden for signature.
The Tentative Agreement then the sick-leave days???
Wait, what??!

Is it the case that currently there are people currently employed in major industries in the USA such as railways who are not entitled to paid sick leave?

Fuck me, every time I think I have grasped the depth of your nation's awfulness towards its workers, I realise that rights literally every other developed nation has taken for granted for decades are still denied to Americans.

Sorry mate, if you take a couple of days off sick, you don't get paid. But on the plus side, you can own as many handguns as you can eat!

Why your workers haven't risen up in bloody revolution is completely beyond me. What the fuck are they waiting for? What the fuck do they have to lose, given that they're basically completely lacking in any rights to begin with?

A devastating rail freight shutdown is the least of what your nation should be facing. You need a general strike, to bring the entire economy to a standstill until the corporations and governments are forced to drag their employee rights kicking and screaming into the twentieth century.

AOC is standing firm on the side of workers yet again.
President Biden on Twitter: "I'm calling on Congress ...." / Twitter
I'm calling on Congress to pass legislation immediately to adopt the Tentative Agreement between railroad workers and operators. Let me be clear: a rail shutdown would devastate our economy. Without freight rail, many U.S. industries would shut down. As a proud pro-labor President, I'm reluctant to override the ratification procedures and views of those who voted against the agreement.

But in this case – where the economic impact of a shutdown would hurt millions – I believe Congress must use its powers to adopt this deal. No one should have to choose between their job and their health – or the health of their children. I have pressed legislation and proposals to advance the cause of paid leave in my two years in office, and will continue to do so. At this critical moment for our economy, in the holiday season, we cannot hurl the U.S. into a devastating rail freight shutdown.

Congress should get this bill to my desk as soon as possible so we can avoid disruption.
Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Railroad workers grind themselves to the bone for this country as their labor produces billions for Wall St.
They demand the basic dignity of paid sick days. I stand with them.
If Congress intervenes, it should be to have workers’ backs and secure their demands in legislation." / Twitter
Then
BMWED on Twitter: "Thank you, Rep. Ocasio-Cortez. We appreciate your support and your vote on this matter." / Twitter
Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Stay strong 💪🏽 we’ve got your back" / Twitter

Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "The last time we stood with @Teamsters Local 202, we stared down a national food crisis over resistance to a $1 raise.
Back then, railroad workers stood with us. They turned trains around to not cross a picket line.
We won then, and we can win now. Let’s get these sick days 💪🏽 (vid link)" / Twitter

Jake Sherman on Twitter: "NEW PELOSI DEAR COLLEAGUE — House will vote tomorrow on ratifying the rail deal AND a separate vote on seven days of paid leave.
The paid leave element lines up w what ⁦@SenSanders⁩ wants the senate to consider. (pic link)" / Twitter
  • First, we will consider the strike-averting legislation to adopt the Tentative Agreement, as negotiated by the railroad companies and labor leaders.
  • Next, we will have a separate, up-or- down vote to add seven days of paid sick leave for railroaders to the Tentative Agreement.
  • Then, we will send this package to the Senate, which will then go directly to President Biden for signature.
The Tentative Agreement then the sick-leave days???
Wait, what??!

Is it the case that currently there are people currently employed in major industries in the USA such as railways who are not entitled to paid sick leave?
There are people employed in Australia in 'major industries' who are also not entitled to paid sick leave.

Waleed Shahid on Twitter: "The Squad and @justicedems-backed members stood with rail workers, flexed their bloc, and began turning Biden and Democratic Party leadership around on this one. (pix link)" / Twitter
noting not only AOC but also Rashida Tlaib, Cori Bush, and Jamaal Bowman.

Waleed Shahid on Twitter: "Let's get it to the finish line." / Twitter

Waleed Shahid on Twitter: "Collective action can make a way out of no-way. (pix link)" / Twitter
Ilhan Omar, Marie Newman, Ayanna Pressley, Ro Khanna

Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib on Twitter: "Last year, the rail industry made a record-breaking $20 billion in profits. They can afford to give their workers paid sick leave. The rail industry must put the quality of life of their employees over profits. I stand with rail workers." / Twitter

Ilhan Omar on Twitter: "Railroad workers are asking for paid sick time, it’s a simple dignified request.
We stand with them and will do everything in our power to make sure their request is granted. Railroad corporations are making record profits and shouldn’t put profits over people." / Twitter

Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: "Every worker deserves paid sick time." / Twitter

Marie Newman on Twitter: "To be clear, I stand with rail workers and passengers and will not support any legislation or deal unless it includes paid leave." / Twitter
noting
Marie Newman on Twitter: "Agree: paid leave should be the bare minimum. Workers and passengers deserve safety and quality. Good Lord, this is the U.S., not a third world country. Paid leave has to be part of the deal. Period." / Twitter

Rep. Ro Khanna on Twitter: "No worker in America should have to choose between their health and a paycheck.
I will not vote in favor of any rail agreement that comes to the House floor without adequate sick days and the support of rail workers." / Twitter

Rep. Ro Khanna on Twitter: "It’s unacceptable for these CEOs to be raking in huge salaries while denying workers a single sick day.
Standing with America's rail workers." / Twitter

noting
David Sirota on Twitter: "Railroad executives recently paid themselves $200 million. (link)" / Twitter
noting
Railroad CEOs Were Paid Over $200 Million As Workers Suffered - Rail execs defend themselves by claiming their skyrocketing profits do not reflect “any contributions by labor.”

Congresswoman Cori Bush on Twitter: "Every worker deserves paid sick leave.
I will not support a deal that does not provide our rail workers with the paid sick leave they need and deserve." / Twitter

then
Congresswoman Cori Bush on Twitter: "I'm proud to stand in solidarity with rail workers in St. Louis &across our country.
Read my statement here: (links)" / Twitter[/url
noting
[url=https://bush.house.gov/media/press-releases/congresswoman-bush-statement-on-paid-sick-leave-for-railroad-workers]Congresswoman Bush Statement on Paid Sick Leave for Railroad Workers

The statement comes as the lawmakers called for amended language to ensure rail workers from the 12 major railroad unions receive at least seven days of paid sick leave, bringing them into line with other federal contractors. At present, rail workers have no guaranteed sick days. The gravity of the problem was highlighted in September when a rail worker tragically died while operating a train after he had skipped medical appointments for fear of punishment by the company he worked for.

Congressman Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "Rail workers can't schedule getting the flu on a Tuesday 30 days in advance.
What we're seeing is an inhumane deal being pushed onto workers even after a majority voted it down. If we are a pro-labor party, we must stand up for them. They need paid sick leave now." / Twitter

then
Congressman Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "Listen, I can’t in good conscience vote for a bill that doesn’t give rail workers the paid leave they deserve. We fumbled this in Build Back Better, we can’t do that again." / Twitter
then
Congressman Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "It would be so awesome, it would be so cool. (links)" / Twitter
then
Congressman Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "Today, I submitted an amendment to the House Committee on Rules to add 7 paid sick days to the rail workers contract.
Just now, we got an email from the Speaker saying that tomorrow we'll be voting to add 7 paid sick days.
I'm always fighting in solidarity with the workers. (pic link)" / Twitter

then
Congressman Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "I'm proud to have submitted the amendment to the rail workers' contract that ultimately lead to the Speaker adding a vote for 7 days of paid sick leave." / Twitter
noting
Progressive Caucus on Twitter: "Following productive conversations between CPC members and Leadership, the House will pass contract legislation for railway workers that includes paid sick leave.
Progressives have championed paid leave across industries, and we won't abandon that commitment.
Chair @RepJayapal: (pic link)" / Twitter

Then
Congressman Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "I'm proud to announce the resolution amending the rail workers' contract to add 7 days of paid sick leave has passed the House!
Now let's get it through the Senate." / Twitter

then
Congressman Jamaal Bowman on Twitter: "I submitted an amendment to the House Committee on Rules to add 7 paid sick days to the rail workers contract, and last night the Speaker let us know we'll be voting to add 7 paid sick days to the contract.
Today, the House passed 7 days of paid sick leave for rail workers. (pic link)" / Twitter

The votes:

Roll Call 490 | Bill Number: H. J. Res. 100 - original agreement
D: Y 211, N 8
R: Y 79, N 129, nv 5
Tot: Y 297, N 137, nv 5

One of the "no" votes was from Rashida Tlaib. Did she want to make a statement about what she likely considered an inadequacy of that bill?

Roll Call 491 | Bill Number: H. Con. Res. 119 - with 7 days of sick leave
D: Y 218, nv 1
R: Y 3, N 207, nv 3
Tot: Y 221, N 207, nv 4
Those Republicans: Don Bacon NE-02, Brian Fitzpatrick PA-01, John Katko NY-24

7 days paid sick leave for the year? That's trash. It's much better that sick leave is accrued at a rate of 2 weeks per year with no cap on the accrual amount. Then allow it to be used at anytime for any reason (including caring for family members) up to a maximum consecutive leave of 80 hours. The 80 hour cap can be waived upon case review at the employer's & union's discretion. Employees should also be given the option to donate accrued sick time to other employees & the company should not be made to pay out sick time upon termination or retirement.

Also at the employers discretion, employees with no sick time available that need to take leave will owe the company that time. Said time will be deducted from future accrued time, withheld from their final paycheck, billed to the union or cleared by donation from another employee.

7 days paid sick leave for the year? That's trash. It's much better that sick leave is accrued at a rate of 2 weeks per year with no cap on the accrual amount. Then allow it to be used at anytime for any reason (including caring for family members) up to a maximum consecutive leave of 80 hours. The 80 hour cap can be waived upon case review at the employer's & union's discretion. Employees should also be given the option to donate accrued sick time to other employees & the company should not be made to pay out sick time upon termination or retirement.

Also at the employers discretion, employees with no sick time available that need to take leave will owe the company that time. Said time will be deducted from future accrued time, withheld from their final paycheck, billed to the union or cleared by donation from another employee.
You mis-spelled "three weeks per year".

My current terms of employment are here. I suspect most US employers would have a heart attack if these were expected of them, and good riddance if they did.

Bear in mind those are the 2016 terms; There have been seven pay increments since that document became current, including an 8% increase that applies from this Saturday (Dec 3rd). The new agreement is likely to be finalised early next year, but is broadly similar.

I don't think the sick time is a pay issue as it is a resource one. Railroads are a pain in the ass to operate and having sick days messes things up. Yes, the RR needs to fix this... it 2022, not 1872. But while where I work, taking a sick day won't screw things up, taking a sick day for a railroad can complicate things.

And did the GOP actually vote for a rail strike? Or are they saying they are cool with 1 sick day?

I don't think the sick time is a pay issue as it is a resource one. Railroads are a pain in the ass to operate and having sick days messes things up. Yes, the RR needs to fix this... it 2022, not 1872. But while where I work, taking a sick day won't screw things up, taking a sick day for a railroad can complicate things.

And did the GOP actually vote for a rail strike? Or are they saying they are cool with 1 sick day?
That's because the railroads have cut their workforce to the bone to save money on employment.

Where I work has massively similar issues to railroads - indeed, our union is dominated by rail workers.

If someone calls in sick, their work is covered by "waiting time" operators - people who are paid to sit around the depot in case they're needed.

Generally the counter staff get the waiting time people to do odd jobs around the depot, such as putting deliveries away or posting staff notices and other clerical duties. But a lot of the time, they sit around drinking tea. At full pay.

Where I work has massively similar issues to railroads - indeed, our union is dominated by rail workers.

If someone calls in sick, their work is covered by "waiting time" operators - people who are paid to sit around the depot in case they're needed.

Generally the counter staff get the waiting time people to do odd jobs around the depot, such as putting deliveries away or posting staff notices and other clerical duties. But a lot of the time, they sit around drinking tea. At full pay.
Nope, can't have those slackers on the payroll.

Nope, can't have those slackers on the payroll.
It doesn't take many. At my depot, on a weekday, we have 105 'straight through' shifts of 7h38m with an hour for lunch; 66 'broken' shifts with a three to five hour break (some of that is paid time); and twenty 'special' shifts (eg cleaner-driver, where the operator spends three or four hours driving, then the rest of the shift cleaning and washing buses). To cover unexpected absences amongst these ~190 staff (plus providing coverage for contingencies such as drivers who are delayed and cannot complete their rostered work), there are 8 Waiting Time operators - so about 4.2% of the total staff engaged on any given day. To also cover for training, annual leave, parental leave, weekend cover, public holiday cover, long service leave, etc., we have about 400 operators in total, with around a quarter of those being employed on a casual basis.

Of course, this provision for contingencies, and the limits on working hours, can only work when every company in the sector is required to provide it - otherwise the cowboy operators who overwork their drivers and fail to provide them with relief such as paid sick days will outcompete the ones doing the right thing, at least in the short term.

Sector-wide collective bargaining is an essential barrier to prevent companies engaging in a race to the bottom, as are nationwide limits on driver hours, and legal requirements for minimum working conditions.

A 4.2% premium to ensure continuity of services in the event of unexpected or unplanned incidents, including (but not limited to) staff absences due to illness, doesn't seem excessive to me - particularly in the light of the fact that tomorrow we will all get an 8% pay increase.

What you describe is very close to what federal employees get now: 4 hours per two week pay period, family members, donating to others.
And unless your boss is a total dick, you could use it pretty much however you wanted without medical evidence. I used mine for insomnia. Just send an email to my boss at 0200 or so.
These folks should strike to become federal employees.
Strange though Congress couldn’t see their way clear to approving half of what federal employees get.

Is it the case that ... there are people currently employed in major industries in the USA such as railways who are not entitled to paid sick leave?

Fuck me, every time I think I have grasped the depth of your nation's awfulness towards its workers, I realise that rights literally every other developed nation has taken for granted for decades are still denied to Americans.

Sorry mate, if you take a couple of days off sick, you don't get paid. But on the plus side, you can own as many handguns as you can eat!
. . .

I'll veer even further off-topic with a slightly romantic tale steeped in nostalgia:
(I liked bilby's post but it has nothing to do with my veer.)
Linda was one of my mother's best friends. She was a noted author — I hold in my hand one of her books autographed to me — and taught Literature at Universities near both U.S. coasts. In 1979, tired of being a university lecturer, Linda went to work as a switchman in the Watsonville railroad freight yard. Soon she was a "baby brakeman" with a strenuous dangerous job. ("Baby" because she had lowest union seniority; no women were hired until the late 1970's.) When work was hard to find she became a "boomer," following railroad activity around the country. Strange career choice? When her health failed, she became a literature Professor again.

This nostalgia reminds me of songs like this. This was before my time but I join bilby in hoping American workers can be so inspired again!

Up until the late 90s, I think most large employers gave at least 30 days of Paid Time off annually. When I worked as a state employee in SC and NC, in the 70s and 80s, we received 3 weeks of vacation, and 3 weeks of sick leave. The sick leave could be accumulated from year to year with no limit. The amount was increased after 10 years of service to 4 weeks. We also receive around 10 holidays. I don't remember the exact number When I worked part time in NC, I received half of the full time rate. We also had retirement pensions, which are rare in private companies these days. Unfortunately I took out my retirement money from SC and only had 5 years in NC so my pension is a pittance.

To some extent, employees are responsible for being treated so poorly. If they would have united a long time ago and refused to work under such harsh conditions with such poor benefits, things might be better by now. Even retail workers were once treated well with paid time off and other benefits. Since so many employees are beginning to "fight the power" these days, things are beginning to improve. I hope that employees will continue to demand better benefits.

I do wonder what's going on in the little facility where I worked part time as a contractor, receiving no benefits. I choose to do that work because I enjoyed it and I had more freedom than I did in any other job. But, the hourly employees were treated like shit. They received 3 paid days off and 3 holidays per year. The turnover rate was extreme, although there were a few very dedicated people who worked there for years despite the harsh treatment. I hope the new owners are treating their employees better.

Yes, there are options, but as I noted, I was referring to a comment about this being about money, when it is more about resources to labor. We also aren't talking a municipal transportation company. We are talking regional and national (well, no rail company is quite national, but the region they cover is huge). And companies like BNSF serve large empty regions. So it is a complicated issue. 1 day of sick time is ridiculous, the Railroads need to figure it out with the unions. No manner of pay raise covers for a person not being able to get their kid to a doctor.

Sounds like a sweet deal for them, but don't people who actually have to work resent those who just sit around drinking tea all day for the same pay?
And how do you get such a cushy job? Be the son of the president of Local 1514 or something?
tumblr_a2eee2c744a43dcebf228a315bd60f0a_98662d08_540.gif

Back
Top Bottom