• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And now the totally expected Trans Bathroom laws result

marc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, skeptic, nerd
Saw this coming from the very start of this BS.

In Ohio, a Trans-man was camping. He went to the public bathroom, and used the women's room since he had been advised to use the bathroom of their birth gender. The result? 3 guys beat him up for using the women's room.

I hope they get a full and successful prosecution for this violence.
Who, Ruiz?

from article said:
“Noah (the trans person) was so upset at the time, he was trying to explain what has happened, and no one was listening to him. So Noah did then get out of hand, and he admits to his part of getting out of hand, from screaming, yelling. He was in defense mode, and when police got there, they didn’t listen to him. They just immediately started shoving him to the ground and doing what they needed to do,” said Ruiz’s mother, Jennifer Ruiz. After Ruiz’s arrest, he was able to file an assault report with the sheriff’s office. He says he wants the men held accountable for their actions.

I think there is more to this than meets the eye.

Who, Ruiz?

from article said:
“Noah (the trans person) was so upset at the time, he was trying to explain what has happened, and no one was listening to him. So Noah did then get out of hand, and he admits to his part of getting out of hand, from screaming, yelling. He was in defense mode, and when police got there, they didn’t listen to him. They just immediately started shoving him to the ground and doing what they needed to do,” said Ruiz’s mother, Jennifer Ruiz. After Ruiz’s arrest, he was able to file an assault report with the sheriff’s office. He says he wants the men held accountable for their actions.

Ruiz would be the LAST NAME. Second line of article lists violence victim as Noah Ruiz.

ETA: As far as meets the eye, sounds like he did what he was lawfully required to do. Burly guys came up to him, angry for what he did, despite him doing what they actually supported but were too fucking stupid to understand. Both sides got tempered up, yelling, then some physical violence. And HE got detained.

Last edited:
Who, Ruiz?

from article said:

That is called confirmation bias. It is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.

That is called confirmation bias. It is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses.
No it isn't. It's stating the obvious.

Nobody on this forum really knows much about what happened. Important details will commonly get left out if the person reporting has an agenda.
Tom

No it isn't. It's stating the obvious.

Nobody on this forum really knows much about what happened. Important details will commonly get left out if the person reporting has an agenda.
Tom
The article answered his question in the second sentence.

The article indicates that Ruiz ACCEPTS his part in the struggle that would end up happening, there was a loud argument and shouting (probably because no one had any right to question Ruiz's actions).

Ruiz did nothing unlawful... prior to being accosted. In fact, he did what the law instructed him to do. At no point, unless he throws the first punch, was any bystander in their right to accost him. People interpreted his actions under their misplaced bias on transgender. How the battery went down, we don't know.

Sometimes I wonder whether even conservatives themselves would really want to live in the hellscape they consider an ideal society, if they had the opportunity to actually try it. No culture, no diversity, constant violence, most of the population jailed. Jesus.

No culture, no diversity, constant violence, most of the population jailed. Jesus.
Sounds great as long as there are plenty of guns and no restrictions on using them.
FREEDUM!!!

The article indicates that Ruiz ACCEPTS his part in the struggle that would end up happening, there was a loud argument and shouting (probably because no one had any right to question Ruiz's actions).

Now, there's some serious confirmation bias.
If a burly bearded dude shows up in the women's room and tells the other occupants, "Fuck off. The state of Ohio says I gotta use this bathroom." there's probably going to be trouble.

Of course, I don't know that anything like that happened. I'm pointing out that there's probably more to this than meets the eye. And I don't trust the sources to be accurate and complete.
Tom

No culture, no diversity, constant violence, most of the population jailed. Jesus.
Sounds great as long as there are plenty of guns and no restrictions on using them.
FREEDUM!!!

No restrictions on using the guns....for certain people.

A trans mixed race person open carries? Well that's when the "everyone in prison" thing comes to bear. Or probably, just "I thought that freak was going for their gun, so I had to defend myself."

Now, there's some serious confirmation bias.
If a burly bearded dude shows up in the women's room and tells the other occupants, "Fuck off. The state of Ohio says I gotta use this bathroom." there's probably going to be trouble.

Of course, I don't know that anything like that happened. I'm pointing out that there's probably more to this than meets the eye. And I don't trust the sources to be accurate and complete.
More to the story? Like the Sheriff saying Noah Ruiz was intoxicated and belligerent? That is in the article too. You say you know nothing, and part of that is you didn't apparently read the article (or remember any detail after reading it), which likely made it easier for you to accuse the article's author of bias.

We do know that the Sheriff does not deny that there was no attack, only that the responding officials weren't initially aware of it. Which implies there was likely some scrape up.

Like the Sheriff saying Noah Ruiz was intoxicated and belligerent? That is in the article too. You say you know nothing, and part of that is you didn't apparently read the article (or remember any detail after reading it),
Your correct, I didn't read an article about a minor dustup in an Ohio campground. I don't really care enough.

But I almost bothered mentioning the likelihood of alcohol being involved. I didn't know about it in the context of this particular anecdote, but I've got a strong familiarity with American recreational tendencies.
Tom

Like the Sheriff saying Noah Ruiz was intoxicated and belligerent? That is in the article too. You say you know nothing, and part of that is you didn't apparently read the article (or remember any detail after reading it),
Your correct, I didn't read an article about a minor dustup in an Ohio campground. I don't really care enough.
So you just love accusing people of shit out of the blue.

*article*
TomC: Bias!
Anyone else: What'd they say?
TomC: [boastfully]Didn't care, didn't read it.[/boastfully]
Anyone else: *sigh*

So you just love accusing people of shit out of the blue.

*article*
TomC: Bias!
Anyone else: What'd they say?
TomC: Didn't care, didn't read it.
Anyone else: *sigh*
I didn't accuse anyone of anything.

I pointed out that I don't much trust the media to accurately and completely report on hot button political topics, if that's what you're referring to as an accusation.
Tom

Sometimes I wonder whether even conservatives themselves would really want to live in the hellscape they consider an ideal society, if they had the opportunity to actually try it. {snip}

I know I don't want to live in the dystopian, zombie apocalypse hellscape that exists in some parts of Los Angeles, San Fransisco and other major SoCal cities that Newsom and his ilk have created.

Sometimes I wonder whether even conservatives themselves would really want to live in the hellscape they consider an ideal society, if they had the opportunity to actually try it. {snip}
I know I don't want to live in the dystopian, zombie apocalypse hellscape that exists in some parts of Los Angeles, San Fransisco and other major SoCal cities that Newsom and his ilk have created.
Yes, Newsom and his ilk invented poverty, drug addiction, and HIV. And why are you so grumpy about Newsom... isn't it 71 degrees or something?

Why do you stay?

I'm a gay, centrist, non-theist living in deep Red Jesustan, there's tons of things I don't like about where I live.

But I don't move.
Tom

A trans mixed race person open carries? Well that's when the "everyone in prison" thing comes to bear
Hell yeah! That's REAL Freedum, when all the creeps are in jail and you can open carry with no worries about permits and shit because all the creeps are in jail! That's key to any free society. And because even the best society is not quite perfect, it pays to be packing because it's possible (just barely, at the margins) that The System could have missed a creep or two here and there, and it might fall to you to neutralize them.

Tom
...unless, of course, it confirms your bias... then the article is fair and balanced and totally accurate and complete.

Back
Top Bottom