• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And now the totally expected Trans Bathroom laws result

I keep forgetting that this is a boys club.
What, precisely, are you referring to as a boys club? IIDB?
Tom
Well, frankly yes. That doesn't mean that all of you men always agree on everything. Nor does it imply some monobloc behavior.

But the reality is that women are significantly underrepresented here - we always have been. Right now I think there's at best a dozen female posters on IIDB. I'm not sure it's even that many. I can list... me, Toni, Rhea, Sohy, Athena, Old Woman in Purple, and RavenSky? That's seven. I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but I think that's probably the majority of active female posters here.

So yeah. Even if it's not intentionally, it's still a boys club.

Underrepresented in what way, exactly?
Tom
Do I actually have to explain this?

Given that females are about half the population of the planet, one would expect that half the membership of IIDB is also female. Given that far less than half the membership of IIDB is female, and given that there's no natural barrier to entrance for females... Then females are underrepresented on IIDB.

Like... that's what underrepresented means in this context. It's not rocket surgery.

Given that females are about half the population of the planet, one would expect that half the membership of IIDB is also female.

Nope.
Fewer women, by a small margin, choose to invest their time in IIDB.

That's not the same as a "boys club".
Tom

Tom
Well, frankly yes. That doesn't mean that all of you men always agree on everything. Nor does it imply some monobloc behavior.

But the reality is that women are significantly underrepresented here - we always have been. Right now I think there's at best a dozen female posters on IIDB. I'm not sure it's even that many. I can list... me, Toni, Rhea, Sohy, Athena, Old Woman in Purple, and RavenSky? That's seven. I'm sure I'm missing a couple, but I think that's probably the majority of active female posters here.

Tom

Given that females are about half the population of the planet, one would expect that half the membership of IIDB is also female. Given that far less than half the membership of IIDB is female, and given that there's no natural barrier to entrance for females... Then females are underrepresented on IIDB.

Like... that's what underrepresented means in this context. It's not rocket surgery.
I don't think its quite that simple. That assumes that the topics of this forum appeal equally to men and women, when in fact, women tend to be less atheistic than men, and less interested in politics and science than men. Hence the skew. Just like you would find more women than men in forums that focus on subjects like childcare, home decorating, fashion, etc. I'm sure that all may sound kind of sexist, but its true is it not?

Emily explained it quite well, in a very simple, straightforward manner.

No one can understand it for you.
You might explain why you think IIDB is a "boys club". I don't see it.

A "Woke echo chamber". "A "leftist ideological bubble". I'd go along with those. The rules change depending on your opinions.

But "boys club"? Bullshit.
Tom

ETA ~There are more TERFs on IIDB than conservatives. Boys club my butt.~
Really? As far as I know, there are zero TERFs on IIDB while there are quite a number of conservatives.

I don't understand your problem: virtually the entire posting membership here is male. Sounds like a boys' club to me.

Tom

Tom

I don't think its quite that simple. That assumes that the topics of this forum appeal equally to men and women, when in fact, women tend to be less atheistic than men, and less interested in politics and science than men. Hence the skew. Just like you would find more women than men in forums that focus on subjects like childcare, home decorating, fashion, etc. I'm sure that all may sound kind of sexist, but its true is it not?
Perhaps one would expect to find more males on this particular forum compared with one devoted to child care ( I won't go into the gender politics involved in that particular choice of example you made) but males are still very disproportionately represented here compared with females. Not only that but males take an particularly male POV with regards to what women should tolerate in intimate spaces. Because I point out that a lot of women will object to finding apparent males in female only spaces, I am now derided as a TERF, for suggesting that women may not be willing to put up intrusions from male appearing persons who seek refuge in women's spaces because of what men clearly will not tolerate: someone that does not sufficiently conform to their ideas of maleness and are willing to enforce with violence. But according to a majority here, women are the problem.

Given that females are about half the population of the planet, one would expect that half the membership of IIDB is also female.

Nope.

Tom
I'd suggest you ask yourself why fewer women choose to invest their time in IIDB, but I think it would be a waste of time.

I'd suggest you ask yourself why fewer women choose to invest their time in IIDB, but I think it would be a waste of time.

I think it would be a waste of our time as well.
I'd suggest that you ask yourself about the demographics of IIDB posters, but why would I bother?
Tom

I think it would be a waste of our time as well.
I am glad we agree.

I'd suggest that you ask yourself about the demographics of IIDB posters, but why would I bother?
Tom
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But flattery will get you nowhere. So thank you. I have asked myself about the demographics of IIDB posters. But I.m uninterested in the "waaah poor me" victim card.

Tom C said:
I'm sure that the folks complaining about this "boys club" will take that to heart.
Tom
Distinguishing between a statement of fact and pure childish whining is apparently a skill that is hard to acquire.

Tom

Given that you are about one eight billionth the population of the planet, one would expect that one eight billionth the membership of IIDB is also you. Given that far more than one eight billionth the membership of IIDB is you, and given that there's no natural barrier to entrance for people who aren't you, then you are vastly overrepresented on IIDB. The shame, the Shay-ame!

The_Devils_Hands_are_Idle_Playthings.jpg

Nobody can be underrepresented or overrepresented on IIDB, because IIDB is not a legislature. I'm here to express my opinions and discuss topics of interest, not to represent some bloody demographic.[/petpeeve]

Although the term "underrepresented" might not precisely capture this, there does seem to be more active male participation than female. At least on the political section.

Edit: BTW This is off topic.

Last edited:

Tom

Given that you are about one eight billionth the population of the planet, one would expect that one eight billionth the membership of IIDB is also you. Given that far more than one eight billionth the membership of IIDB is you, and given that there's no natural barrier to entrance for people who aren't you, then you are vastly overrepresented on IIDB. The shame, the Shay-ame!

The_Devils_Hands_are_Idle_Playthings.jpg

Nobody can be underrepresented or overrepresented on IIDB, because IIDB is not a legislature. I'm here to express my opinions and discuss topics of interest, not to represent some bloody demographic.[/petpeeve]
There are more kinds of representation than political representation

There are far more apparent male posters than apparent female posters in the political forum here at iidb.

Nope.

Tom
A small margin? Are you under the impression that IIDB is what... 40% female?

Shocked Laughing GIF - Shocked Laughing Ahh - Discover & Share GIFs

Nope.

Tom
A small margin? Are you under the impression that IIDB is what... 40% female?

Honestly, I'd have guessed that vicinity.
The thing is, I don't care about members sex/gender stuff much other than pronoun usage. So I don't think about.
The opinions are what matters, not the sex/gender of the poster.

Referring to IIDB as a "boys club" sounded like a bit of an accusation to me.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom