• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why I am seeing great glues all over now but I am. At lunch today I went to the pond that had the swans earlier this year and more recently the wood ducks.

I great blew flew in and landed out in the middle on a mud patch.

After a bit it flew into a nearby tree.

It flew off again and landed on the far side of the pond.

It's a 1/4 mile away by google earth.

Then a cat bird came by

Back home I think that this is a juvenile Carolina Wren.

I had a pretty interesting lunch break today.

First from my driveway the humming bird was at the feeder and then sat down in the wild rose bush by the feeder.

Then it investigated the tree behind it. A few posts back I photographed a chipmunk in a tree with berries. The berries are now redder and the hummingbird check them all out I guess wondering if the red were flower but they are not.

It sat down again but in a most peculiar pose. I took a bunch of photos and it kept sitting that way.

Then I walked down to the frog pond. That was very interesting.

A kingfisher was there. It was doing a great deal of flying about around the pond.

Finally it landed and I got a mostly focused photo. I wish it was more in focus. It's a female but a rare female. That brownish red band below the neck is usually the same color as the head, dark bluish gray. But the sometimes have the brownish band. The smaller and lower band is generally brownish red.

My wife was with me and she claims that there were actually two kingfishers but of all the photos I don't see any that were not female. It would be odd for the male and female to just show up all of a sudden. If they were nesting they would have been about all year. I have never seen a kingfisher there before today.

Here is another shot. It went down to the lower pond. It's not possible to tell if it's male or female in this shot.

But it flew up again and landed in a tree. Here it's clearly the female again. It seems to me that if there were two as my wife says, that the other would also be a female with the rare redish brown band. But if male, I'd have expected to see them season long. And male and females split up after nesting is over. Oh well. A puzzle.

An interesting thing about kingfishers is that it's a rare bird species that the female is more colorful than the male. Males never have a redish brown band and they only have one bluish gray band the same color as the head.

So anyway we went home and there was a mother wild turkey with two chicklets.

We all how honey attracts bears and bees. Here's what happened when we left some country singers out there at Cape Blanco.

MacKenzie ranch went from this

10391026_268343966707276_6429477711826163140_n.jpg

to this in just five days.

10514559_272518239623182_7483547148813304830_n.jpg

As seynori said, that's actually a wingless ground wasp, or velvet wasp (sometimes called a "velvet ant", though technically a wasp). We used to call them "cow killers".

eek! When you said that name, my son recalled from his "weird and wild creatures" fact cards that the velvet wasp has one of the most painful stings of all insects. I'm very glad we just took a pic and moved on!

We all how honey attracts bears and bees. Here's what happened when we left some country singers out there at Cape Blanco.

MacKenzie ranch went from this

to this in just five days.

Those country singers sure are fragrant!

I went out for a couple hours this afternoon. Didn't get any good pictures though.

But my wife did. While the kids were at an activity she went to a graveyard to take photos of gravestones, her hobby.

When she was done this guy was under her car! I have never actually seen a wild woodchuck/groundhog.Poor guy has a scrape on his nose.

Never seen a wild one? You may come to my house. There are far too many!

Another several hours out today but not a lot.

Catfish in a shallow stream.

Water snakes can climb bushes.

I think a young carolina wren.

I went to the frog pond at lunch.

Green Heron spooked before I even saw him. Found him in the tree after he moved around several times. These green heron spook really easily!

Later there was a commotion and I saw a red-tail hawk fly out of a tree with two eastern kingbirds in pursuit.
One of the kingbirds made it into this photo.

Red tail flying off

I actually saw a woodchuck myself today in the back yard. I went onto the deck with the camera but unfortunately the camera kept focusing on the wire of the cat fence and wouldn't focus on the critter outside the fence. It left before I could get out the other door and around to the back yard.

Wood Tiger Moth:

You can't see it in these pictures but it's abdomen and hindwings were a brilliant scarlet color.

Going on vacation to Maine tomorrow. Back for two days Aug 21 and 22 and then back to Maine again to the end of the month. Not sure I will post photos until all the way back. Mobile hotspot data is limited.

When I drive to work I spend a good deal of time avoiding quail and rabbits. The quail are funny little creatures. I can hear one of them saying to the other:

"Okay, see that giant noisy animal coming? Here's what we'll do. We'll wait until it's right upon us, then dart in front of it! It always stops, because it fears us! Okay, wait, wait...Let's go!"

And the rabbits! I sometimes think there are more rabbits here in Havasu than gnats or flies. Rabbits have the same road-philosophy as the quail, it seems. Wait patiently, still as a statue, until the big noisy, shiny animal is yards away, then suddenly leap in front of it!

A wonderful thing about the quail is that often there will be a long line of them, the Mom or Dad leading, the tiny kids all following one another frantically across the road. It's a marvelous thing to see.

http://teszmillan.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/about-forgiveness/

Other than the quail and rabbit, I've seen snakes and and even a tarantula. The tarantula was scuttling along in the parking lot where I worked many years ago. I also saw a sidewinder winding along that same lot.

Just back from a few days at the place in Maine. Going back this weekend for another week.

A few photos this first shorter trip.

Gray catbird with food

Another catbird at the same place. Perhaps a juvenile?

A flight of gulls on a mission.

Two Loons off shore from the house.

One closer.

A spotted sandpiper down the shore.

Two invasive green crabs in a fight

The best place to find ring-bill gulls is at the shopping center

A harbor seal off the shore from the house. Just the nose and eyes visible before it went under and didn't show up again.

A cormorant getting ready for flight

A juvenile bald Eagle

A great blue heron on it's way to other places.

Common eiders sleeping off shore.

An adult bald eagle. There were two. Very likely the same two as in July is it was at the very same spot +- 300 meters.

A loon grooming itself.

A juvenile tree swallow.

Not once did the song sparrow show up on his tree as he did early every day during my trip in July.

I didn't take a photo, but today there was a rabbit in my yard. But it had no head. Who took its head!? We don't have stray dogs around. Was it a hawk? A coyote? Why take only the head? Did we disturb the perp? Who knows? I don't know why, but there is a bunny with no head in my yard.

Got back from our second week in Maine.

The week was mostly ocean birds.

Only two mammals. This red squirrel was chattering at me from the tree in the field in front of the house.

One late Afternoon it must have been a hundred large dragonflies that invaded the yard by the house. It was pretty amazing but hard to take photos of them. Imagine dragonflies of this density filling up a whole yard. There must have been at least 100.

This tiny toad was on the house. It is only about a centemeter long.

The Common Eiders are back in large numbers. There was a fleet in the bay in front of the house. Strange how they like to all be in a row.

Zoom in a bit. All going to the right now.

A common Loon also out in the bay in front of the house.

A crow in a field.

Not a good photo but a Harbor Seal in the bay in front of the house.

We went to the beach and there was a pool of water isolated from the rest of the brackish lagoon by the lack of rain. The boys rescued this fish and and let it go. This is only the front 15% of the fish. It more resembles an eel but is a fish that will borrrow into the sand to escape preditors.

A ring bill gull at the beach.

A black Guillemot in the background and a juvenile (I think) gull in the forground also at the beach.

This was not a week for great blue herons. I got this photo at mud creek. Not much happening at mud creek either.

Off shore at the house a loon. This one still in breeding plumage.

A cormorant at the harbor.

Same cormorant from a different angle

Over at the Schoodic Section of Acadia National Park some semilamated plovers.

At Schoodic point a large flock of Common Eiders. There was a heavy surf warning from the huricane that had passed several hundred miles out at sea. The Eiders stayed just outside of the breakers.

Every now and then a breaker would come behind the birds. When that happens the bird, which is a diver which swims underwater to catch food, will dive right into the rising wave and pop out the other side in back.

I believe that this is a tern. Bad photo.

An Eider has food. Probably a green crab.

A Least Sandpiper on the rocks above a tidal pool.

We went to Acadia on Mount Desert Island at Eagle lake and saw this family of Common Mergansers. One is the mother with three juveniles.

I worked my way around the other side for a photo from the back. Strong back legs for diving and chasing fish which is what they mainly eat, much like the common Loon.

Very sharp teeth for catching those fish!

They eventually got tired of me being around and swam off. Note that they float rather low in the water.

For reasons I don't yet know, common Mergansers sometimes really motor along. I have seen them do this before.

It's really a strange sight to see this duck, and it is a duck, seriously motoring such that they actually lift up and skim the water much like a speed boat will do!

This duck was probably going at least 12 miles an hour for at least a hundred yards like this. Why it chooses to motor along instead of fly I don't know. But it seems to do it with ease. It must be amazing underwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom