• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overdevelopment in my community is making deer run wild in urban neighborhoods. It is legal to kill them but there apparently aren't very good hunters in my area. In a perfect world I'd wake up in a lean tube with a graceful deer licking my face in the sun. I think hunting deer for sport is sad. This whole topic makes me sad. Who lets us roam free, and who is discussing the issue right now?

That's kinda neat. It would be interesting to see them on the window like that.

They 'bark' here and the cats love to chase them. They don't usually get them though.

We have geckos here. The baby ones are adorable.

My cats catch them. It's not a pretty sight. :sad:

I love the geckos though and try to keep them out of harm's way because they do eat the bugs around the porch lights. Sadly at my last apartment, they would sit on my door, then run, when I opened it, only to get squished between the jamb and the door when I didn't notice. :sad:

Save the geckos!

They 'bark' here and the cats love to chase them. They don't usually get them though.

I love the geckos though and try to keep them out of harm's way because they do eat the bugs around the porch lights. Sadly at my last apartment, they would sit on my door, then run, when I opened it, only to get squished between the jamb and the door when I didn't notice. :sad:

Save the geckos!

I hate it when that happens. Especially if you don't notice for a day or so and it starts to smell. :(

Save the geckos!

I hate it when that happens. Especially if you don't notice for a day or so and it starts to smell. :(

I was SO upset when I saw the first casualty. After that I was doubly sure to clear them out of the door jamb before I shut the door and shooed them away when I was going in the door at night.

I was SO upset when I saw the first casualty. After that I was doubly sure to clear them out of the door jamb before I shut the door and shooed them away when I was going in the door at night.

What is worse when you find the evidence of your dog having shaken a blue tongued lizard to death. :(

Just checking in from vacation in Maine. So far have 101 candidates for posting but will need to weed that down. And still there is the weekend and maybe Monday to take photos.

So far lots of water birds, raptors, other large birds, song birds, and fresh and salt water critters.

Back from Maine.

I'm afraid that I have a lot of photos to post. I've sort of written this as a log to hopefully make it more interesting.

3-July Arrive in Maine just before dark.

4-July

We go to a house that's been in the family for about 150 years. It's not suited for winter use or even most of the spring or fall but in the summer with the cool breeze from the ocean, it's nice and cool.

View from our front deck

A Song Sparrow in his tree. This tree and this sparrow are a constant companion while birding at the house.

We do down to the town Harbor quite a lot.

Lots of Jelly Fish this year

Back at the house
Song sparrow is still on his tree

Tiny crab and a tiny shell held by my boy at the shore in front of the field.

5-July

We had experienced the remnant of Hurricane Arther over night. We and the rest of the town lost power in the night. I came on around 10am.
Canada geese resting on a lump of seaweed

The geese venture out into the surf

Eastern Phoebe on a branch. In years past the Eastern Phoebe have been all over the place. This is the only Phoebe I saw this trip.

6-July

A cormorant in the ocean in front of the house

I went down the shore a bit

A goldfinch up in the trees

Down at the harbor my kid was fishing for crabs and got a large one with a barnicle attached to it. They make bubbles out of their mouths when they are captured. The kids say that's how the crab swears.

I'm guessing it's fairly old as the barnicle is a pretty large one. Anyway, put the crab down on the dock and it skitters off over the side

More Jellyfish

We took a drive to the Schoodic section of Acadia National Park

A star fish at low tide

A female Common Eider

Back at the house a juvenile redbellied woodpecker on the wire

It was quite a windy afternoon and this American Crow was actually able to do some soaring where the contour of the land funnels the wind up. Crows are crappy soarers but it was trying hard and was doing OK

Lots of birds do flit about in the trees by the field in front of the house but they are often very hard to spot.

This is only my second photo of a black throated green warbler. My only other photo was also at the house in Maine and was July 2011.

Getting towards evening, a robin with food for the chicks

At the end of the day a crow family is heading home.

Last edited:
7-July

In the morning of course the resident song sparrow is in his tree.

On our way to Acadia on Mount Desert Island (MDI) we always go by Mud Creek.

As expected, the osprey is there.

We went to anemone cave. It's a cave that's assessable the lower half of the tide and has tide pools inside. In the past there have been anemone but didn't see any this year, which was strange.

But there were lots of sponges. I could see them pumping the water.

Mussels in the water partly opened to feed

Tiny mussels and barnacles

In the center of these barnacles one is opened with it's feet up in the water to kick food into it's mouth. That's how barnacles feed.

Going home by Mud Creek an Osprey flying about

Back at the house the Robin continues to find food for the kids.

Down at the shore another song sparrow lives about 200 yards down the way from the one who hangs out in front of the house.

8-July

We went to MDI again to take the kids to Sand Beach.

On the beach, a juvenile Bald Eagle was flying about

Sand beach is a popular place for gulls. Not just because people tend to leave scraps but because the shape of the shore funnels in the wind nicely for soaring

Mostly there are Herring Gulls

Though not rare, Laughing Gulls are far less common than are Herring Gulls and this is the first time I have seen a Laughing Gull at Sand Beach

I took a walk into the woods on the trail up to Great Head and found a white-throated sparrow.

Here is a photo from partway up the Great Head trail looking down on Sand Beach.

On the way home going by Mud Creek, a belted kingfisher on the wire crossing Mud Creek.

An Osprey with dinner

I've posted photos of Mud Creek before. It's a tidal creek. It's high tide in this photo. At low tide it's all mud. The kingfisher is on the wire crossing the creek. The Osprey nest is just visible to the far right of the photo.

Back at the house the song sparrow is singing in his tree.

9-July

Next morning the song sparrow is still in his tree.

Down at the shore there were hundreds of thousands of these tiny Crustaceans in the seaweed at the surf. I had never seen so many before. They make nice eating for mice and birds.

Going back up to the house I sat down on the chair on the deck and spotted this Cedar Waxwing in the tree next to the other side of the street.

I can see lots of things from that chair on the deck. Here is were I sit. Fortunately or unfortunately we do not own the land on the other side of the street. It's owned by rich people whose house is out of sight to the left.
Our house is on the poor side of the street. While we don't pay the taxes for ocean-front property we always worry that the rich people will build something on "our" view. 80 years ago my wife's great grandmother owned that field but the rich people somehow convinced her to sell it to them.

Went back to the Schoodic section of Acadia. It tends to be a good place for ocean birds.

Herring Gulls

There are also brackish ponds popular with other critters.

A large family of Canada Geese

A juvenile Bald Eagle

An adult Bald Eagle.

There were a pair of adults but I didn't get a photo of them flying together. It was too fast.

10-July

Next morning of course the song sparrow is singing in his tree.

In my chair on the deck drinking my morning coffee there were these three crows on a branch making a racket.

A Chipping Sparrow on the driveway also from my chair.

Also from my chair a humming bird came flying in and hovered 3 feet from me and nearly made me jump. In a moment it was gone. No photo.

Then a moment later the crows were chasing a Bald Eagle in from of the house over the field. No photo for that also. But I could see it from here in my chair above the trees across the street.

Today's adventure would be to the Carriage Roads in Acadia on MDI. The Carriage roads are crushed gravel roads for bikes, walkers and some sections are open to horses.
We start out on Eagle Lake. This is Eagle Lake from the North end.

A red Squirrel

We reached the south end of the lake and on a rock was a nice snapping turtle with part of it's tail missing. My guess is a larger snapping turtle got the tail.

A nice American Bullfrog

We made our way to Bubble Pond.
A Frog which was just recently a pollywog.

These little fish were swarming. Each is about 3 inches long.

After spending much time on Bubble Pond we went back the way we came to Eagle Lake.

A female Common Merganser on a rock

I worked my way around the opposite side and by the time I got there two chicks had returned to their mother. I've noticed that Common Merganser chicks are given freedom to roam pretty early in life.

Crossing Mud Creek on the way home there is the Osprey as usual.

A spotted Sandpiper on the mud flat of Mud Creek.

The Osprey was up and about.

It flew off again and landed in the water knee deep.

I stopped at a roadside takeout place and got 4 crocks of chowder for dinner. On the wire was a European Starling without it's spots.

11-July

First thing in the morning the Song Sparrow was in his tree.

We went back to MDI and the Carriage Roads this time planning to make it the loop to Jordan Pond.

Right on the north side of Eagle Lake there is a different snapping Turtle on a different rock. In years past I have seen snappers on this rock many times.

A common spider hanging in mid-air.

On the south side of Eagle Lake a different snapping turtle on a rock farther out from the one the previous day. This one has a whole tail.

We made it to the Jordan Pond house on the south end of Jordan pond. The two small mountains in the center are named the North and South Bubbles but we call them the Boobies.

The required American Bullfrog shot

Pollywogs are hard to catch by hand but my 11 yer old boy was determined! The pollywog was fine when it was let go.

A Common Loon not far from shore.

On the ride back on the west side of Jordan pond in the deep woods a Blue Jay in very low light.

Back on Eagle Lake, a Common Merganser flying off...

My wife is one of those people who takes photos grave stones. It's her hobby. What can I say... We went to a cemetery in Bar Harbor before going home and there were about 12-15 Turkey Vultures soaring.

A soaring Turkey Vulture

And another

A chipping Sparrow

12-July

Down in the field in front of the house, another, or the same, black-throated Green Warbler.

Also in a tree by the side of the field, I think that this is a just fledged Eastern Phoebe but not sure.

I was driving out the the driveway to get a few hours away at Petit Manan wildlife sanctuary up the coast and a had a flat tire! After using the other car to get a can of fix-a-flat, I drove the car down to the tire center and took a photo of a dragonfly while waiting for the tire to be repaired.

After a 3 hour delay, I made it to the wildlife sanctuary. It's a 20 minute hike from the road to the ocean. An area of Jack pines, tall bush blueberries and small trees.

Then a boardwalk area though dark forest with wet mosses.

It opens up to a wide saltwater flat that drains a muddy shore.

In previous years I've seen lots of plovers and sandpipers and loon here. Today none of them. I was about to give up but decided to walk around the bay to the other side.

Along the way a photo of the Petit Manan lighthouse.

Scowering the shore I finally spotted something interesting far out where there was still a fair amount of water.
Two Great Blue Heron hunting for food.

There was actually a third a ways to the left but not posting a photo of that. But the two great blues in the photo above are in the center of the photo below when I zoomed all the way out. They are still there by the rock in the center of the photo.

It was getting late so I needed to start back. But I was delayed in the woods trying to locate the source of an amazing bird song. It turned out to be a Hermit Thrush. A first photo for me.

It moved to another tree but I was just able to get another shot, not quite focused, before it left for good. Such a mundane looking but an amazing song.

Further on I found the source of another song I didn't recognize.
It was also a new species for me. A Common Yellowthroat, a Warbler.

So a trip that started out as a bust ended up netting two new species for me. I was satisfied.

Back at the field in front of the house this Cedar Waxwing was in the Song Sparrow's tree!

13-July

But next morning the Song Sparrow was back.

Four Common Eiders were in a group off shore in front of the field.

Last edited:
Down at the harbor my first Chipmunk of the week.

My wife's sister came to visit and we did a bike ride around the Schoodic section of Acadia.

This common loon, possibly a juvenile or possibly just in it's non-breeding plumage, was in the ocean.

A Hare in a field.

I didn't realize before that Hare have a very different look than a cottontail.

Another common Loon in the bay at Fraiser Point.

Same area as the loon, this Osprey kept hovering, as it does, above the water looking for a fish. It made one aborted dive while we were watching.

14-July

Our last full day, on a rock off shore from the house, a spotted sandpiper.

A very large jellyfish washing to shore at the harbor.

The song sparrow in his tree

15-July

Time to pack up and go home. Rain. An especially low tide as the rocks in the bay usually are not uncovered at low tide.

And the song sparrow is in his tree.

THE END

An interesting animal encounter this evening.

We have a cat enclosure in the back yard. It encloses much of the back yard to the side of the house. The cats have a cat-flat door under the deck. I am standing on the deck.

So the cat is in the yard and white-tail deer comes along.

In the 1st photo the two animals see each other. Now the cat sees deer all the time. It has no concern and really no interest.

In the 2nd photo the deer is clearly very interested. The cat is bored.

In the 3rd photo the deer is stomping the ground with it's left front leg and then gives a big hiss. Cat is still bored.

In the 4th photo the deer is now stomping the ground with it's front right leg and hisses again. The cat is bored.

I finally walked down the steps to the yard and the deer ran off. The cat watched it go.

So that was interesting

In the meantime, a cottontail in my yard.

I think that this may be a juvenile Northern Cardinal.

Today, an Easter an Phoebe on the wire

What I thought was a juvenile cardinal yesterday I am now sure. Can't be anything else.

As I was taking the two photos above a big bird swooped in scattering the cardinals, some doves ans a gray squirrel. It was this. All in my neighbor's back yard where he has his feeders. Obviously a hawk. I need to remind myself what hawk has that coloring on the tail feathers.

Later a Northern flicker in my lawn.

A chipmunk who looks like he wishes he had never run into my driveway.

Why is that deer the color of a flamingo? Has it been eating a lot of beets or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom