• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Animals roaming free

Status
Not open for further replies.
did they eat it?

I am not sure
this is not the first time this has happened

Perhaps chimps smell enough like humans, that raccoons assume they are pushovers with a lot of edible garbage ripe for plunder.
They soon learn otherwise

wpj28M.gif

I've been out a lot but haven't taken many photos that were worth posting. There has not been much around except for geese and mallards.

But today at the swan pond I got a lifer.

American Wigeon.

Finishing of 2015 animals. Besides the American Widgen above not a lot interesting has been happening. I've been out a lot but the large volumes of migrating birds seem not to arrived. A few here and there not not many.

Dec 12 a Turkey Vulture. They largely leave for the winder. Probably my last signing until spring.

December 25 a Ring Neck Duck. They are still very scarce. Haven't seen one since.

Canada Goose on Dec 26.

Dec 26 a juvenile mute swan with a Canada goose in the background.

Here is that American Wigeon

Dec 27, this mute swan was flying out of the swan pond and the two pair were watching it go. I think it's the older male that the younger make chased away and took his mate. Mute swans are so large they make a lot of wing noise when they fly.

Dec 30, of all the common winter visitors I've seen Buffleheads the most. They are very small and usually stay well out away from people. This is a pretty close shot for these little guys.

Yesterday, January 1, I went to a place by the ocean. These look like Common Eiders.

A surf Scoter. For me it's very rare to see these.

This looks like a female surf scoter.

I hope that as the season gets colder that more interesting critters show up. Sure has been slow so far.

Knock, knock, crazyfingers . Four weeks without new pics from you! Xmas vacation is over, get back to work, please. :)

lynx

I'm afraid it's been slow. Although I've been out a lot I haven't gotten interesting photos. Just birds at the feeder and silly mallards.

I finally got an interesting set of photos this weekend. The red-bellied woodpecker is preparing his nest hole for the spring. The hole is actually a few feet below the hole from last year which is normal behavior for these birds.

Thanks.

The distance is very hard for me to judge. The camera is at max zoom, around 2400mm in 35mm equivalent. My observation point is the end of my trail into the woods where I dump sticks and leaves down a steep and very wooded hill. The tree is growing well down the hill. Perhaps 80-100 feet away horizontal and the bird is another 40-50 feet above my elevation with lots of other tree clutter between us. I'd take a photo now but it's snowing. If I took the photo unzoomed at 35mm the bird would be too small to see even if you knew where to look.

From the birds point of view I probably look no larger than a squirrel would at 15-20 feet away. In other words it can see me if it bothers to look but it never appears to think I'm worth looking at. It's behavior never changes when I'm out there.

I finally have some photos to post. Sunday was a nice day.

At the state park, the ring-neck ducks are on their way though going north.

A whole pile of them.

The peeper frogs are having at it.

The painted turtles are up and on their log

A swarm of little fish. These are maybe 2 inches long.

Not much to say that isn't obvious about this photo.

House sparrow gathering nesting material.

Dark Eyed Junkos will soon be departing for the north.

Lots of American Robins about.

The Northern Cardinals have been sining for a couple weeks now. Early spring.

The red-bellied woodpecker from a post or two up appears to have already found a female.

And the Grackles are back

My wife having recently undergone major surgery and starting to recover (she will fully recover) I have the energy to post a few photos.

A Cooper's Hawk in my front yard.

A gruesome looking spider in my yard.

Dark-eyes Junkos will be leaving for the great north soon.

On my back yard this appears to be what's left of a cottontail bunny after a predator took the rest.

With the insects, the tree swallows are arriving.

Ring-neck ducks on the way through. They will be gone north soon also.

Possibly the remains of a deer.

Red-tail hawk

A not so great focus of a pair of wood ducks trying to hide among the pond shrubs.

A phoebe with nesting material

The tail by my foot suggests that this may be the remains of a coyote.

Garter snake head.

Bad photo but it's very rare for me to see an Osprey at the swan pond. It's middle right side of the photo.

Mute swans again nesting at the swan pond

A northern flicker near the swan pond.

Redwing blackbirds are arriving at the swan pond

From a few posts up, same Red-bellied woodpecker male looking out the hole. The female is around also.

Finally, a pair of hooded Mergansers

Another few photos. Nothing great. At least spring is here.

Mallard Duck

Brown headed cowbird singing. The go Cluck Cluck tweeeeet

A goldfinch in the cedar tree. I was singing but had stopped a moment.

A tree swallow singing.

Song Sparrow singing

Ring neck ducks still here

Painted turtles are out in great numbers

Canada Goose

Crow

American Robin

Green frog captured by a boy.

I'm guessing this is a baby wood frog.

Tufted titmouse singing

Gray Squirrel

Status