• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another cop "fears for his life" - Officer Michael Slager Shooting Unarmed Black Man In The Back

On a marginally related note, how is arresting someone for not paying child support in any way a valid action? With an arrest, he's probably going to lose whatever job he has and hamstring any potential future employment opportunities and therefore lose the ability to pay the child support even if he wanted to. Wouldn't that kind of thing be better handled by a civil case where his wages get automatically garnished?

I'm just not sure what it is that the arrest was supposed to accomplish.

Well, a judge told him to pay the amount. He didn't. Judges take such insults to their authority very poorly. So he'll be brought in front of another judge to be yelled at for failing to properly venerate the guy in the flowing black dress.

On a marginally related note, how is arresting someone for not paying child support in any way a valid action? With an arrest, he's probably going to lose whatever job he has and hamstring any potential future employment opportunities and therefore lose the ability to pay the child support even if he wanted to. Wouldn't that kind of thing be better handled by a civil case where his wages get automatically garnished?

You're starting to sound like a MRA, better check yourself.

Last edited:
That is how it works for me...

... err... I mean....

I dunno.

Well, a judge told him to pay the amount. He didn't. Judges take such insults to their authority very poorly. So he'll be brought in front of another judge to be yelled at for failing to properly venerate the guy in the flowing black dress.

So? In what way does jail help that situation? Mail him a summons and if he doesn't show up to defend himself, just rule against him and mail his employer a court order to deposit X amount of the guy's paycheck in his baby mama's bank account every month.

The goal of warrants for outstanding child support payments should be to get the money to the child. It should not be for people to demonstrate a respect for the authority of the court. The court has the ability to enforce its authority without any respect being given to them.

Simply being arrested is generally not going to lose him his job, he should be able to post bail for the offense, and be out of jail in a few hours. An arrest for something like failure to pay child support will not even get you a mention in the paper. A felony arrest or conviction would be a different story, but I don't believe failure to pay child support is a felony offense.

Simply being arrested is generally not going to lose him his job, he should be able to post bail for the offense, and be out of jail in a few hours. An arrest for something like failure to pay child support will not even get you a mention in the paper. A felony arrest or conviction would be a different story, but I don't believe failure to pay child support is a felony offense.

Google around for the latest John Oliver video. It had to do with the effects of arresting people over the failure to pay parking tickets and the effect that this had on their employment and ability to pay their unpaid parking tickets. It's nowhere near as minor an inconvenience as you're making it out to be. I can't search YouTube videos at work, so I can't link to it myself.

As an example, when the cop arrests this guy after pulling him over, his car is towed away. Assuming he can get his hands on enough cash to make bail that day (not actually a decent assumption) and get to see a judge to present that bail in short order (not actually a decent assumption), he then has to additionally pay more money to go and get his car back (not actually a decent assumption he can do that). If this causes him to miss work, he can get fired for that without much trouble, even absent the employer finding out the reason.

A despicable murder.

Even with the video people are still saying he had it coming.

Really ? Who ?

This guy at Officer.com for one:

Race has nothing to do with it.
But AGAIN, a FAILURE of this Thug to just acquiesce to the lawful commands of the Officer, instead, this POS fights the Officer and takes a weapon.

At least he won't steal again. Lesson learned...

I'll let the JUDICIAL system figure it out.

So? In what way does jail help that situation?
Help? Why do you think it's supposed to help?
Affronted judges want revenge.
The court has the ability to enforce its authority without any respect being given to them.
For some reason all I can see is Orson Welles in Catch 22, asking what's the point of being a general if you can't have people taken out and shot.

A despicable murder.

Really ? Who ?

But AGAIN, a FAILURE of this Thug to just acquiesce to the lawful commands of the Officer, instead, this POS fights the Officer and takes a weapon.

That's an anonymous troll on a forum. I haven't read or heard "people" actually say he had it coming. Even the trolls on this forum have been mute.

That's an anonymous troll on a forum. I haven't read or heard "people" actually say he had it coming. Even the trolls on this forum have been mute.
Even a commentator on AM Radio was saying it was a bad thing. Though I think he was saying that cameras for all cops wasn't necessary.

I need Loren to explain this to me.

Hard to imagine one human being doing that to another and the guy looks as calm as can be.

Granted not all cops would be capable of that but I think it's a bigger percentage than most people would guess.

Congratulations! It looks like your side finally has what it has been desperately seeking since Michael Brown - a bad shoot of a black man by a police officer.
Otoh, I doubt it will make much difference to the hardcore activists as they are still talking about the "murder of Michael Brown" despite the facts.

All that said, it was incredibly (and as it turns out terminally) stupid of Scott to flee and engage in a scuffle with the officer reportedly knocking his taser out from his hands. Especially knowing how trigger-happy US cops tend to be.

Interestingly, (alarmingly? Horrifyingly?) the only thing that would make running from the cops "stupid" is the near certainty that
  1. they will try to shoot you dead if you disobey
  2. AND not face any discipline over it.
Without that near-certain assumption it is not stupid to run from police.

Interesting that you assume those two things, no?
Interesting that you think running from police is likely to result in death because police want to and have no reason to hold back.

Dear police, DO NOT think you are "serving" me or my interests by choosing to shoot to kill on suspicions. Just get that whole mindset out of your brain. It's not honorable or glorious to "protect" me by choosing to shoot people who are fleeing from a traffic stop or even an arrest warrant. I don't need anyone caught so badly that I'm willing to sacrifice people to the death penalty without a trial. If you only did this when you knew FOR SURE that the person was wanted on a MURDER charge that was compelling, then we wouldn't be having this talk. But you think the violence is called for to keep misdemeanors, drunk people and unrelated crimes for getting "away". Don't do that in my name - you are not serving me.

When I saw the video on channel 7 KABC, the reported stated the running guy took 12 slugs in the back. That seems like a lot from one cop. The video captured the running man as he was receiving bullets (a usual no no for ABC). This cop must be unpopular. I saw him already decked out in jail clothing. I think this cop will probably get a long sentence, not because of what he did (cop policies are very loose regarding human rights for blacks and browns and killings are regularly accepted) but because he seemed to be disliked by his co workers...and his boss...setting him up for a kangaroo trial. There is little doubt in my mind he is guilty of murder, but so is the case with Brown and with the guy in NY who was strangled to death because he was selling single cigarettes. These cops are out of control.

I went looking for any rebuttal to this and found something interesting:

There's what appears to be a dropped Taser involved.

Thus this guy might not have actually been unarmed at the time the cop decided to shoot--he very well might have grabbed the officer's taser and that turns it into an armed conflict--shooting would be appropriate.

Thus this guy might not have actually been unarmed at the time the cop decided to shoot--he very well might have grabbed the officer's taser and that turns it into an armed conflict--shooting would be appropriate.

You should change your user name to "The Mailman". You never fail to deliver.

Rather than defaming poor mailman, why don't we suggest 'February,' because it always shows up, even though we wish it wouldn't, and it doesn't quite measure up to the others.

Did you not actually watch the video??? After the guy is shot and down on the ground, the cop goes back, picks up the taser and tosses it on the ground by the dead guy. So not only did he kill a guy for no reason, he then planted evidence.

Sure, Loren! A Taser is not a lethal weapon...usually. What's more a 9mm pistol has many times the range of a taser. There seems to be NOTHING A COP CAN DO THAT YOU WON'T EXCUSE AND APPROVE.

Back
Top Bottom