• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Fucking Mass Shooting At US School

If you can't get people to voluntarily secure their guns in a locked cabinet or safe, and you can't make laws to prosecute gun owners who fail to secure their weapons, then you aren't ever going to get people to accept access controls built into the guns themselves.
A big problem with the secure-your-guns measures is that the left always tries to go too far--mandating storage requirements that are simply impossible for many people. Only mandate simple locks--not big gun safes that need to be on solid ground and bolted down. (Something unavailable to anyone not living on the lowest level of their building, or with a crawl space under their floor.)
Gun safes are mandatory in Australia. They do not necessarily need to be bolted down. Everyone of the millions of Australians who have a privately owned, registered firearm stores it one - either at home, at a rifle range or another location. An 8 gun safe with a 2mm thick steel body and 3mm door measuring 360x1500x340mm weighs 55kg, so delivery to upper floors is not a problem. I know because I delivered a dozen or more of them.

In Australia it's a case of no safe storage, no gun. It's a bit like mandatory helmets for motorbike riders; If you claim you can't wear one - say for medical reasons - you can't ride a bike. Works for millions of Australians.

That's acceptable to me--it's enough to keep it from readily developing legs, but not prohibitive. The problem is both sides have ceased to be reasonable about things, basically all proposed gun legislation is unreasonable in one direction or the other. A sane middle ground gets attacked from both sides.

both sides have ceased to be reasonable about things

No, both sides are quite reasonable, they just have diametrically opposed objectives.

Republicans want to sell more guns, Democrats want to restrict their use, which is detrimental to sales.

There’s nothing complicated here. It’s just that unless it has a positive, or at least a neutral effect on gun sales, Republicans would be cutting themselves off at the knees by supporting any gun control measure. It is a little “unreasonable” on the part of a Democrat, to expect Republicans to starve their cash cow.

That is, in fact culture. It is not the culture that Steve is discussing. The culture Steve is discussing is the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV.
That's not what Steve said.
He was talking specifically about the culture in his home town.
Tom
steve_band has commented on the influence of the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV in this post and that one as well as others.

That is, in fact culture. It is not the culture that Steve is discussing. The culture Steve is discussing is the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV.
Tom
steve_band has commented on the influence of the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV in this post, that one as well as others.
Well, and "PrOgReSsIvEs"

Tom
steve_band has commented on the influence of the "global culture" or "media culture", which amounts to violence in video games and sex on TV in this post and that one as well as others.

C1165116-C5F8-4867-81A5-114A320F436C.jpeg

In the news gun sales are up.

Reporting raises interest in guns?

I dunno, maybe OG Paul in State A is on vacation in Tahiti while OG Clarence in State B is engaged in a war in his city? I have no idea.

It's not too complicated for Florida Man to understand.

Suppose City A has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "rein in cops and provide more taxpayer money to homeless people."
City B has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "empower the cops and restrict taxpayer money to homeless people."

Five years later, which city do you think will have increased crime and homelessness? Which will have less?
Seattle, Washington or Mobile, Alabama?

Oh wait, I meant City A or City B. I shouldn't have mentioned reality.
Tom
Do you really thing think that police empowerment and how the city treats its homeless are the only factors that impact crime?

News stories do. Every time there is a hint in the news that assault weapons were used in a mass shooting, the value of assault weapons goes up, because gun fetishists rush out to get their hands on an assault rifle before they are banned forever. Gun manufacturers know when to ramp up production. :rolleyes:

Do you really thing think that police empowerment and how the city treats its homeless are the only factors that impact crime?

No.
Which is why I didn't post that.

You might ask yourself, "Why did I so thoroughly misinterpret what TomC posted?"

But I'm not expecting that to happen.
Tom

No.

You might ask yourself, "Why did I so thoroughly misinterpret what TomC posted?"

Tom
As a reminder, it was impossible to figure out what your post meant, forget about what it was intended to mean.

I dunno, maybe OG Paul in State A is on vacation in Tahiti while OG Clarence in State B is engaged in a war in his city? I have no idea.

It's not too complicated for Florida Man to understand.

Suppose City A has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "rein in cops and provide more taxpayer money to homeless people."
City B has a culture that results in city officials that promise to "empower the cops and restrict taxpayer money to homeless people."

Five years later, which city do you think will have increased crime and homelessness? Which will have less?

Oh wait, I meant City A or City B. I shouldn't have mentioned reality.
Tom
It’s bizarre to me just how many people can’t distinguish between solving a problem, and moving the problem elsewhere.

You can reduce homelessness and crime by helping people to avoid or escape homelessness, and by reducing the incentives for people to commit crime by providing for them the things they would otherwise have to steal to survive.

OR, you can allow homelessness and crime to spiral out of control, but build yourself a fortress to live in, and drive anyone who becomes homeless out into the wilderness to become somebody else’s problem. And then you can look around your self imposed prison and congratulate yourself that you improved things (but don’t look outside the walls, it’s scary out there).

It really comes down to whether you want things to be better for everyone, vs wanting things to be better for you, and fuck the rest.

Or to put it more bluntly, to whether or not you are a selfish arsehole.

News stories do. Every time there is a hint in the news that assault weapons were used in a mass shooting, the value of assault weapons goes up, because gun fetishists rush out to get their hands on an assault rifle before they are banned forever. Gun manufacturers know when to ramp up production. :rolleyes:
Here in Washington assault rifles and high capacity magazine sales are up in anticipation of coming legislation.

Human nature. Tell us we can't have somthing and we will go out and get it even if we don't need it.

Here in Washington assault rifles and high capacity magazine sales are up in anticipation of coming legislation.

Human nature. Tell us we can't have somthing and we will go out and get it even if we don't need it.
Well that and the NRA telling people the Dems are going to stop letting them buy guns, for the last 30 years. Gun purchases seem to track with election schedules.

No.

Tom

OK. So what did you mean when you wrote this?

No.

Tom

He meant “Preventing crime and homelessness by stopping people from becoming homeless, and reducing the conditions that inspire them to commit crime, is difficult, expensive, and takes a very long time. Let’s not bother with all that effort, when instead we could have all the order and public safety we want, by simply living under the jackboot of a police state”.

He probably didn’t notice that that’s what he meant; But that’s pretty much exactly what he said.

No.

Tom

He meant “Preventing crime and homelessness by stopping people from becoming homeless, and reducing the conditions that inspire them to commit crime, is difficult, expensive, and takes a very long time. Let’s not bother with all that effort, when instead we could have all the order and public safety we want, by simply living under the jackboot of a police state”.

He probably didn’t notice that that’s what he meant; But that’s pretty much exactly what he said.

I'm sure you believe that.

Similarly, I'm sure that other people believe that Trump won the 2020 election.

Bless Your Heart.
All of you.
Tom

More like a spoiled rich kid prone to throwing tantrums if he can't get his own way.

No.

Tom

I'm sure you believe that.
Of course I do; I can read.
Similarly, I'm sure that other people believe that Trump won the 2020 election.
And I am sure you believe that your advocacy of a cruel police state is actually promoting a better society.
Bless Your Heart.
All of you.
Tom
If you don’t want people to think you have evil ideas, perhaps you should try not posting things that advocate cruelty on discussion boards.

Back
Top Bottom