• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another mass shooting - largest in a good while, by a few victims

Since it's a 64 year old, retired white male, whose motivations are unknown...

anyone want to speculate as to why he did it?

Voices. Drugs. Anger at increasing socioeconomic inequality. Anger at increasing socioeconomic equality.
I'm less interested in the why, and more in the how. We likely can't fix the why. We could at least, in theory, try to address the how. As a nation, we won't, but it is always nice to pretend for a moment, that as a nation, we'd try to see to it that this doesn't happen again... and that not requiring me to take off my clothes and empty my bags before entering a hotel.

One part of "how":
How did he get a fully automatic assault weapon? Are those modifications something that anyone can do in their garage?

Since it's a 64 year old, retired white male, whose motivations are unknown...

anyone want to speculate as to why he did it?

Voices. Drugs. Anger at increasing socioeconomic inequality. Anger at increasing socioeconomic equality.
I'm less interested in the why, and more in the how. We likely can't fix the why. We could at least, in theory, try to address the how. As a nation, we won't, but it is always nice to pretend for a moment, that as a nation, we'd try to see to it that this doesn't happen again... and that not requiring me to take off my clothes and empty my bags before entering a hotel.

Can the NRA be sued and treated like the KKK?

One part of "how":
How did he get a fully automatic assault weapon? Are those modifications something that anyone can do in their garage?
Not just anyone. But anyone with a good knowledge of gunsmithing and the necessary metal working tools (or buying the necessary illegal parts). Then again, such a person could probably build a machine gun from scratch from steel rods and flat stock.

You must be so disappointed that he wasn't a muslim immigrant.
Nah. Those go off often enough. Just this week two went off in Canada and France.
Regarding the Edmonton terrorist attack, will it make Troudeau wake up and smell the coffee about his open door policy on Somali migrants?
Somalis with criminal records coming to Canada from US, intelligence report warns

No, one guy knifed a few people. That's a low rate of crime in comparison to pretty much every other group around. Doesn't call for much in the way of special action.

Do you think that this incident in Veags will make Trump wake up and smell the coffee about his policy of allowing elderly white people to rent hotel rooms without anal probing by the FBI first?

When I see the news about such tragedies, my first thought is about the victims and their families. Then I wonder what type of person would do such a thing and what drove him to do it.

My first thought with this one was "I hope nobody I know got shot." So far everyone I know who was at the show is okay.

My thought in general when these things happen is "where did this person get the idea that the proper way to go about solving problems is to shoot them?"

My first thought with this one was "I hope nobody I know got shot." So far everyone I know who was at the show is okay.
I actually got the facebook alert that the one person I know in the area was ok. Terrible that such a thing is needed, but glad it is available for people.

I can't even wax philosophical about it anymore. It's just so easy to end so many lives in such a short time. All you need is a little motivation. These people always commit suicide afterwards, when they should have done it first.

No, one guy knifed a few people.
Just as I said: whenever a Muslim does something, it is downplayed.
Do you think it is a good idea for Canada to take in Somali fakefugees who US wants to deport because they are criminals?

Do you think it is a good idea for Canada to take in Somali fakefugees who US wants to deport because they are criminals?
This OP is about the shooting tragedy in Las Vegas, Nevada (which is in the US, not Canada). Shootings are not done with knives. S please start a new thread for your off-topic obsession.

I think you should employ a different strategy to meet your goals than changing the subject.

Start by sticking to the topic of the op. Then, declare you don't know why he did what he did.

Later on, when you are sure, then mention it and keep relevant to the op. [For all we know at that point it might even get confirmed he was an ISIS convert?!]

Your audience will appreciate it and respect your posts more.

This OP is about the shooting tragedy in Las Vegas, Nevada (which is in the US, not Canada). Shootings are not done with knives. S please start a new thread for your off-topic obsession.
Read the OP again. Higgins specifically brought up Islamic attacks.
Besides, ISIS is claiming that this guy is a recent convert to Islam. So this could turn out to be a Muslim terrorist attack yet.

Jimmy Higgings said:
Teabagger guide to mass shootings:
.If Shooter is Muslim, blame Islam

Not quite what you are saying. If I were you, I'd follow my advice from previous post. You know...don't invest in predictions...and just wait for facts to come out. I know it's difficult when you like to make these kinds of predictions, but it will make you happier to use a fact-based approach. And it's more persuasive.

He wrote "If Shooter is Muslim, blame Islam". The attack in Canada is not a shooting. So, start a new thread to deal with your bigoted off-topic obsession.
Besides, ISIS is claiming that this guy is a recent convert to Islam. So this could turn out to be a Muslim terrorist attack yet.
And when it does, then comments about Muslims in this attack will be relevant. But it cannot make knife attacks by an immigrant in another country relevant.

There's no evidence of any connection between the shooter and ISIS or Islam.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-shooting-stephen-paddock-what-we-know-about-shooter/

His brother said he had no affiliation to anything, religious or political.

My money's on him being a Trump follower.

That would make him... what? A pure outgrowth of American culture?
It is natural to want to pigeonhole the perpetrator, just to try to make sense of a senseless act. It's sad that the inability to assign a pigeonhole drives some people to spewing irrelevant vitriol toward whatever/whoever might be their personal favorite villain/whipping boy.

Back
Top Bottom