• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another school shooting

I would hesitate to call this a school shooting. This is a shooting that happened at a school, but the school doesn't seem to have been the target.
Well typically school shootings involve the students, not the school itself. I understand the misunderstanding as when a semi-automatic is used, many missed shots hit lockers, walls, windows, etc... That shouldn't be mistaken as the person was trying to shoot the school and students accidentally got in the way.

Why are you so determined to put your hands over your ears about what I'm saying?

In a mass shooting the killer is seeking to maximize the body count. The identity of the dead is of little importance.

In this case he had a problem with one person and killed that person. A stray round hit one other person. This is a personal issue, not a mass shooting. The location of the shooting is basically irrelevant.
In my earlier post I did say this shooting was #winning.

Not only not an semi-auto, but it wasn’t a mass killing. Granted, maybe because the shooter didn’t have access to such weapons it wasn’t a mass shooting. Who knows.

Why are you so determined to put your hands over your ears about what I'm saying?

In a mass shooting the killer is seeking to maximize the body count. The identity of the dead is of little importance.

In this case he had a problem with one person and killed that person. A stray round hit one other person. This is a personal issue, not a mass shooting. The location of the shooting is basically irrelevant.

I'm sure that makes everything ever so much better to the survivors :rolleyes:

If you refuse to understand the problem how do you expect to find an answer?

Oh, the soln to ending massacres in the US, is recognizing that there are blind massacres and discriminate murders?

Alright, problem solved!

Sounds like the prayers were answered by a good guy with a gun.
Nope. Sounds like a suicide. They don't know if the SRA or the shooter himself actually killed/shot him. Given how many days it's been and no word from the NRA.........I suspect suicide.

It has been confirmed that it was a suicide.
What is driving me crazy is that people are taking this situation as vindication to having a couple armed people in a large building... as if by gun magic, they can appear at the exact location of the shooting, assess the situation, and then shoot the shooter. Also, the whole, 'well, it was stopped by a good guy with a gun'... though not before ending someone else's life.

What is driving me crazy is that people are taking this situation as vindication to having a couple armed people in a large building... as if by gun magic, they can appear at the exact location of the shooting, assess the situation, and then shoot the shooter. Also, the whole, 'well, it was stopped by a good guy with a gun'... though not before ending someone else's life.

The reality is that a good guy with a gun tends to put an end to a mass shooting even if they don't get the shooter.

Consider the MGM--the shooting stopped when that guard showed up even though the guard never even saw the shooter.

The reality is that a good guy with a gun tends to put an end to a mass shooting even if they don't get the shooter.

Consider the MGM--the shooting stopped when that guard showed up even though the guard never even saw the shooter.

So... Guys in uniforms with big scary-looking sticks would be the answer.

Yeah, hasn't happened yet.

Here Bob, have a handgun. Good luck going up against that kid with a semi-automatic weapon. And yes, we expect you to have gun magic and know what is happening, how many shooters, and where it is all going down.

I thought that it wasn't an intended "school shooting".

Regardless, what sucks is that things get a bit worse because people like to think past tense, not future tense... and how wannabe killers will adjust tactics if/when schools become too hard to get inside with a semi-automatic weapon.

If you refuse to ever support your claims how do you expect anyone to take anything you say seriously?

BTW, cute movement of the goal posts there ;)

Your original claim was:

I would hesitate to call this a school shooting. This is a shooting that happened at a school, but the school doesn't seem to have been the target.

A shooting that happens it/at a school is, by definition, a school shooting. You were wrong about that, so stop arguing otherwise.

Now you have shifted goal posts to:

In a mass shooting the killer is seeking to maximize the body count.

No one here said that this was a "mass shooting" and, in fact, it wasn't :shrug: He needed to kill at least one more person to get that distinction.

Not true.  2017_Las_Vegas_shooting#Event The guard was shot through the door right at the beginning of the shooting at about 10:05. It went on for another 10 minutes after that, till 10:15. And then the police didn't even get on right floor until 10:17, which was two minutes after the shooting had stopped. A "good guy with a gun" did absolutely nothing to stop the carnage.

From CNN:
CNN said:
Last week, students at Great Mills High School walked out of class as part of a student-led protest against school violence in the wake of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
I wonder if they were criticized or punished for it? And if so, I wonder if they will receive an apology?

Reality follows parody yet again:
Student shot at Madison Schools in Ohio gets detention for school-shooting protest

In this case he had a problem with one person and killed that person. A stray round hit one other person.

Guys, listen up. Loren's right. This was not a school shooting. If it was a school shooting, then someone would have shot the bricks of the school. Someone shot students instead. Therefore, this was a multiple-student shooting. Thank you for your attention.

[/literal]

In this case he had a problem with one person and killed that person. A stray round hit one other person.

Guys, listen up. Loren's right. This was not a school shooting. If it was a school shooting, then someone would have shot the bricks of the school. Someone shot students instead. Therefore, this was a multiple-student shooting. Thank you for your attention.

[/literal]
[sad truth]Had this shooting not occurred at school, it might not have really even made the national news.[/sad truth]

Back
Top Bottom