• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another school shooting

Oh, thank goodness.

Now that we have prayers, there's no need for us to do anything to make the next shooting at a school less likely to happen.

Welcome to America, where people would rather listen to their children die over a cell phone call than admit that they might be wrong about something. Besides, those children are already-born, so their lives are worthless, right?

From CNN:
CNN said:
Last week, students at Great Mills High School walked out of class as part of a student-led protest against school violence in the wake of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.
I wonder if they were criticized or punished for it? And if so, I wonder if they will receive an apology?

Is this one going to have fodder the other direction though? You had an armed officer at the school take out the suspect very early on. So you are going to hear people on the pro gun side saying guns saved lives

Oh, thank goodness.

Now that we have prayers, there's no need for us to do anything to make the next shooting at a school less likely to happen.

Welcome to America, where people would rather listen to their children die over a cell phone call than admit that they might be wrong about something. Besides, those children are already-born, so their lives are worthless, right?

I never drew the connection this way between the anti-choice and anti-gun regulation crowds... very interesting. How can one allege to be pro-life, but also against preventing guns from being used against children (the "against children" part is superfluous)?

Luckily it was just a handgun folks. Had it been a semi-auto, would have been worse. #winning

Seriously, this is where we are these days.
Is this one going to have fodder the other direction though? You had an armed officer at the school take out the suspect very early on. So you are going to hear people on the pro gun side saying guns saved lives
Well, weren't three students injured when a teacher accidentally discharged a gun in a school too, in this period?

Luckily it was just a handgun folks. Had it been a semi-auto, would have been worse. #winning

Well, weren't three students injured when a teacher accidentally discharged a gun in a school too, in this period?

Just being a handgun will be more fodder for the anti-gun control group.

But it also limited the shooting, so there will be debate on all sides.

Just being a handgun will be more fodder for the anti-gun control group.

But it also limited the shooting, so there will be debate on all sides.
You call the "discussion" on guns in the US a "debate"?!

School shootings will continue happening until we make all video games like Kirby.

Shooter was recruited by the NRA to muddy the waters about AR15s.

</facetious>

Sounds like the prayers were answered by a good guy with a gun.

Yet, kids are still dead.

And prayers didn't prevent that, but that's okay because the body count is low this time.

But whatever. On gun forums, the AR fanboys and others are finally just coming out and admitting that yes, dead kids are worth their right to own almost any gun they want (loud and motherfucking proud). So that's progress of a kind I guess, as long as we understand that guns have nothing to do with gun violence.

Gun murders per decade in in the U.S. = >100,000 dead. Roughly twice the amount of American soldiers killed in the Vietnam war; a war that changed this nation and the world. But the proliferation of guns in America has nothing to do with gun violence.

I once ate a Quarter Pounder with cheese from McDonald's that made me really sick. It never occurred to me to go back to that same McDonald's and eat more Quarter Pounders in order to cure my sickness.

Note: I still like McDonald's and I don't care who knows it.

I would hesitate to call this a school shooting. This is a shooting that happened at a school, but the school doesn't seem to have been the target.

I would hesitate to call this a school shooting. This is a shooting that happened at a school, but the school doesn't seem to have been the target.
Well typically school shootings involve the students, not the school itself. I understand the misunderstanding as when a semi-automatic is used, many missed shots hit lockers, walls, windows, etc... That shouldn't be mistaken as the person was trying to shoot the school and students accidentally got in the way.

http://time.com/5211363/maryland-high-school-shooting-austin-rollins-lovesick/

article said:
Maryland High School Shooter Was Lovesick Teen, Police Say

(GREAT MILLS, Md.) — Tuesday’s school shooting in southern Maryland that left the shooter dead and two students wounded increasingly appears to be the action of a lovesick teenager.

[[ent]hellip[/ent]]

I would love to point out that Time is far from the only ones in the mainstream media framing it this way. The shooter was a "lovesick teenager" and apparently the cops are the ones who started describing it this way.

Fuck you, cops. Fuck you, media.

That wasn't a lovesick teenager, that was a fucking psychopath.

I went to high school. Granted, there were a lot fewer guns around back then, but still, every high school is full to bursting with lovesick teenagers. The overwhelming majority of lovesick teenagers don't murder people. It's bad enough that the mainstream media normalizes the increasingly radicalized American conservatives, normalizes white supremacists, but now we're normalizing murderous psychopaths?

No.

Fuck you for even thinking of this story in these terms. Fuck you for trying to make the murderer seem sympathetic. That is the last fucking thing we need right now in this era of mass shootings when parents have to worry if they're going to get a cell phone call and listen to their child die.

Agree

article said:

(GREAT MILLS, Md.) — Tuesday’s school shooting in southern Maryland that left the shooter dead and two students wounded increasingly appears to be the action of a lovesick teenager.

[[ent]hellip[/ent]]

I would love to point out that Time is far from the only ones in the mainstream media framing it this way. The shooter was a "lovesick teenager" and apparently the cops are the ones who started describing it this way.

I went to high school. Granted, there were a lot fewer guns around back then, but still, every high school is full to bursting with lovesick teenagers. The overwhelming majority of lovesick teenagers don't murder people. It's bad enough that the mainstream media normalizes the increasingly radicalized American conservatives, normalizes white supremacists, but now we're normalizing murderous psychopaths?

No.

Fuck you for even thinking of this story in these terms. Fuck you for trying to make the murderer seem sympathetic. That is the last fucking thing we need right now in this era of mass shootings when parents have to worry if they're going to get a cell phone call and listen to their child die.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Sounds like a suicide. They don't know if the SRA or the shooter himself actually killed/shot him. Given how many days it's been and no word from the NRA.........I suspect suicide.

I'm glad I don't live in a country where firearm violence in schools is so profligate that there are distinctions amongst them.

article said:

[[ent]hellip[/ent]]

No.

ANYTHING to make it not a gun problem

Well typically school shootings involve the students, not the school itself. I understand the misunderstanding as when a semi-automatic is used, many missed shots hit lockers, walls, windows, etc... That shouldn't be mistaken as the person was trying to shoot the school and students accidentally got in the way.

Why are you so determined to put your hands over your ears about what I'm saying?

In a mass shooting the killer is seeking to maximize the body count. The identity of the dead is of little importance.

In this case he had a problem with one person and killed that person. A stray round hit one other person. This is a personal issue, not a mass shooting. The location of the shooting is basically irrelevant.

Why are you so determined to put your hands over your ears about what I'm saying?

In a mass shooting the killer is seeking to maximize the body count. The identity of the dead is of little importance.

In this case he had a problem with one person and killed that person. A stray round hit one other person. This is a personal issue, not a mass shooting. The location of the shooting is basically irrelevant.

I'm sure that makes everything ever so much better to the survivors :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom