• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Any other canoeheads?

Bilby and I love kayaking and our kayaks actually come from the states.

I miss quiet paddling up and down a calm river. I am hoping to get permission from the surgeon next year! It’s my biggest physical goal after all the damage to my knee.

Well, at least you can't kick. (Sorry.)

???

Sorry, as in bad joke. You can't kick because of your knee?
Is "can't kick" an expression for "can't complain" in Oz?
Also, sorry about your knee.

I have never, in nearly five decades on this planet, split roughly equally between hemispheres, heard anyone say 'can't kick', meaning 'can't complain'.

So I'm afraid neither of you have a leg to stand on.

I have never, in nearly five decades on this planet, split roughly equally between hemispheres, heard anyone say 'can't kick', meaning 'can't complain'.

Ohh. I see now.

Seriously, it’s because I can’t kick that I can’t kayak. And it’s frustrating.

Ohh. I see now.

Seriously, it’s because I can’t kick that I can’t kayak. And it’s frustrating.

It was a lame joke anyway.

We also do rebuilds. This is a 17' Fraser Prospector, off the original Chestnut form. You can see the new wood because this is a camp canoe, and we don't bother trying to stain the repairs to match. The wood and varnish will darken with time anyway.K 32 Prospector.jpg

A pretty rebuild

This is a 16' Peterborough, dating to the 30s. It was stored under the cottage. When we pulled it out, the gunwales, seats, thwarts, and decks were all rotten. Fortunately, the hull was still good so we could restore it. Rot in the upper parts is more typical of a cottager's canoe, they spend a lot of time upsidedown out in the weather. Camp, or tripping canoes typically have most of their damage in the hull - broken ribs and planking, and the skin.

Purcell 1.jpg

Purcell 2.jpg

Purcell 3.jpg

Purcell 4.jpg

This last photo shows a mast step. That's what you did back then when you were tired of paddling, you'd sail.

Back
Top Bottom