• Welcome to the Internet Infidels Discussion Board.

Are We Heading towards Theocracy?

SLD

Contributor
Joined
Feb 25, 2001
Messages
6,952
Location
Birmingham, Alabama
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
And is it inevitable?

I think it is.

Here’s a recent article about white Christian nationalism and its hold on many of our youth. It’s scary.


For the article above, these new pastors are preaching a gospel of violence, white Christian supremacy, antisemitism and male dominance. So many young men love this. It gives them the power. They’ve been left behind. And along come these religious leaders who say, like Hitler, it’s not your fault. It’s the fault of the blacks, the Jews, women and the other religions. Trump has given them the breathing space. In truth I blame the Democrats for not having the brains to nominate someone who could beat Trump. Clinton and Harris were absurd candidates.

I think religious violence is inevitable and I think our Supreme Court is hell bent on destroying separation of church and state in ways that will fray the edges of our balance.
 
I think you have accurately identified some specific factors pressuring our representative government structure. But eventual outcomes are not ensured - and may well be changed merely by making such observations.
Religious violence is and will remain a fact. Whether the USA becomes a hotbed, depends on who and what you compare it to. I’m pretty sure it will get worse here before it gets better. But will it be Rwanda? I kinda doubt it. And eventually longer term financial interests will prevail over the current crop of rapacious oligarchs.
 
We had this discussion back in January.


Christianity is slowly dying out.

PR_2025.02.26_religious-landscape-study_01-03.png
 
And is it inevitable?

I think it is.

Here’s a recent article about white Christian nationalism and its hold on many of our youth. It’s scary.


For the article above, these new pastors are preaching a gospel of violence, white Christian supremacy, antisemitism and male dominance. So many young men love this. It gives them the power. They’ve been left behind. And along come these religious leaders who say, like Hitler, it’s not your fault. It’s the fault of the blacks, the Jews, women and the other religions. Trump has given them the breathing space. In truth I blame the Democrats for not having the brains to nominate someone who could beat Trump. Clinton and Harris were absurd candidates.

I think religious violence is inevitable and I think our Supreme Court is hell bent on destroying separation of church and state in ways that will fray the edges of our balance.
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
 
We had this discussion back in January.


Christianity is slowly dying out.

PR_2025.02.26_religious-landscape-study_01-03.png
And your argument was shown to be irrelevant back in January. You ignored it back in January.
 
And is it inevitable?

I think it is.

Here’s a recent article about white Christian nationalism and its hold on many of our youth. It’s scary.


For the article above, these new pastors are preaching a gospel of violence, white Christian supremacy, antisemitism and male dominance. So many young men love this. It gives them the power. They’ve been left behind. And along come these religious leaders who say, like Hitler, it’s not your fault. It’s the fault of the blacks, the Jews, women and the other religions. Trump has given them the breathing space. In truth I blame the Democrats for not having the brains to nominate someone who could beat Trump. Clinton and Harris were absurd candidates.

I think religious violence is inevitable and I think our Supreme Court is hell bent on destroying separation of church and state in ways that will fray the edges of our balance.
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
It’s the followers that he has that concern me. It says there are 187,000 subscribers to one of these channels. Not necessarily huge, but enough to create issues and problems. It also doubly concerns me that these are people who weren’t raised in an apartheid era such as the 40’s or 50’s. I can generally dismiss such people since they’ll die off soon enough.

A younger generation that has education like at Davidson, which is generally considered a progressive school, and yet they go this way. This is a trend away from where we should be going.

I still lay the roots of this growing problem on income inequality and the failure of democrats to address it at the expense of identity politics. These people really have been left behind. No wonder they’re turning to radical politics to shape their future.
 
We had this discussion back in January.
...
Christianity is slowly dying out.
...
And your argument was shown to be irrelevant back in January. You ignored it back in January.
No I didn't.

 
We had this discussion back in January.
...
Christianity is slowly dying out.
...
And your argument was shown to be irrelevant back in January. You ignored it back in January.
No I didn't.

There's still the question of... how long that will take. Which is unclear.
 
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
It's a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise.

There's still the question of... how long that will take. Which is unclear.
It will take a long time, too slow to stop the WCNs from making a lot of noise and making themselves a pain in the ass to the rest of us; but there are already enough of us to stop them from turning the US into a theocracy. The ideology is explicitly Protestant and white nationalist. White Protestants are only 26% of the population. When you add up the non-Christians, the Catholics, the non-white Protestants, and the anti-theocracy subset of white Protestants, that adds up to an overwhelming majority who aren't going to go along with their agenda.
 
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
It's a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise.
Yeah... that's what I thought about the Trump thing back in the spring of 2016. Was pretty darn certain that whole thing was going to be wiped from the face of the planet.

Goodness, how awfully wrong that thought was!
 
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
It's a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise.
That describes Trump in 2020, so it isn’t very reassuring.

One doesn’t have to be a devout Christian to swallow their snake oil. I can easily imagine my non religious MAGA brother buying into it.
 
Last edited:
Having a nut-based conservative majority on SCOTUS is going to be a long-term source of Christian mischief, as they have shown that they have no adherence to the separation of church and state. If it could offend a bishop, they'll strike it. If they can define any policy as somehow putting an undue amount of discrimination against the faithful, they'll attack it with scathing denunciations. Alito especially seems to style himself as a great Bible ninja, and whither Sammy goes, Tommy follows. They're untouchables (just like Trump, whom they've elevated into that select group.) We're going to see years of contorted piety from this bunch.
 
I think you have accurately identified some specific factors pressuring our representative government structure. But eventual outcomes are not ensured - and may well be changed merely by making such observations.
Religious violence is and will remain a fact. Whether the USA becomes a hotbed, depends on who and what you compare it to. I’m pretty sure it will get worse here before it gets better. But will it be Rwanda? I kinda doubt it. And eventually longer term financial interests will prevail over the current crop of rapacious oligarchs.
I did not realise the Rwandan genocide was religiously based. I thought it was ethnic.
 
I think you have accurately identified some specific factors pressuring our representative government structure. But eventual outcomes are not ensured - and may well be changed merely by making such observations.
Religious violence is and will remain a fact. Whether the USA becomes a hotbed, depends on who and what you compare it to. I’m pretty sure it will get worse here before it gets better. But will it be Rwanda? I kinda doubt it. And eventually longer term financial interests will prevail over the current crop of rapacious oligarchs.
I did not realise the Rwandan genocide was religiously based. I thought it was ethnic.
It was not a religious conflict, as such, but it was Christian churches that led the slaughter, and were frequently the sites of massacres.

https://home.sandiego.edu/~jmwilliams/longmanonchurchandgenocideinrwanda.pdf
 
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
It's a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise.
That describes Trump in 2020, so it isn’t very reassuring.

One doesn’t have to be a devout Christian to swallow their snake oil. I can easily imagine my non religious MAGA brother buying into it.
Yeah... that's what I thought about the Trump thing back in the spring of 2016. Was pretty darn certain that whole thing was going to be wiped from the face of the planet.

Goodness, how awfully wrong that thought was!
So what? He'll be out on his ass in 2029 and the government will go back to normal. Besides which, Trump isn't one of them -- they're just another of the many little constituencies Trump used and discarded on his way to power. He doesn't give a rat's ass about their goals, or their ideology, or them. If he isn't an atheist he's about the most watered-down Christian on the planet. These guys are antisemites; Trump likes the Jews; Bibi's his best buddy. The only way Trump would impose a theocracy is if we went all Roman Empire and made him the god.
 
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
It's a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise.
That describes Trump in 2020, so it isn’t very reassuring.

One doesn’t have to be a devout Christian to swallow their snake oil. I can easily imagine my non religious MAGA brother buying into it.
Yeah... that's what I thought about the Trump thing back in the spring of 2016. Was pretty darn certain that whole thing was going to be wiped from the face of the planet.

Goodness, how awfully wrong that thought was!
So what? He'll be out on his ass in 2029 and the government will go back to normal. Besides which, Trump isn't one of them -- they're just another of the many little constituencies Trump used and discarded on his way to power. He doesn't give a rat's ass about their goals, or their ideology, or them. If he isn't an atheist he's about the most watered-down Christian on the planet. These guys are antisemites; Trump likes the Jews; Bibi's his best buddy. The only way Trump would impose a theocracy is if we went all Roman Empire and made him the god.

It doesn't matter if Trump has a religion or not. Christian nationalists give him power and he will give them theocracy to the extent that continues to give him power. Power is all that Trump cares about. That and money and his malignant face on TV.
 
And is it inevitable?

I think it is.

Here’s a recent article about white Christian nationalism and its hold on many of our youth. It’s scary.


For the article above, these new pastors are preaching a gospel of violence, white Christian supremacy, antisemitism and male dominance. So many young men love this. It gives them the power. They’ve been left behind. And along come these religious leaders who say, like Hitler, it’s not your fault. It’s the fault of the blacks, the Jews, women and the other religions. Trump has given them the breathing space. In truth I blame the Democrats for not having the brains to nominate someone who could beat Trump. Clinton and Harris were absurd candidates.

I think religious violence is inevitable and I think our Supreme Court is hell bent on destroying separation of church and state in ways that will fray the edges of our balance.
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
Hegseth. Project 2025. Brendan Carr, Vought, … doesn’t seem too fringe when it’s the entire executive branch of our federal government and the judicial and legislative accomplices and all the toadies out their engagement inapologetics on their behalf.
 
And is it inevitable?

I think it is.

Here’s a recent article about white Christian nationalism and its hold on many of our youth. It’s scary.


For the article above, these new pastors are preaching a gospel of violence, white Christian supremacy, antisemitism and male dominance. So many young men love this. It gives them the power. They’ve been left behind. And along come these religious leaders who say, like Hitler, it’s not your fault. It’s the fault of the blacks, the Jews, women and the other religions. Trump has given them the breathing space. In truth I blame the Democrats for not having the brains to nominate someone who could beat Trump. Clinton and Harris were absurd candidates.

I think religious violence is inevitable and I think our Supreme Court is hell bent on destroying separation of church and state in ways that will fray the edges of our balance.
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
Hegseth. Project 2025. Brendan Carr, Vought, … doesn’t seem too fringe when it’s the entire executive branch of our federal government and the judicial and legislative accomplices and all the toadies out their engagement inapologetics on their behalf.
It's weird how they still never bring that up.
 
Is WCN really a big movement with momentum or is it a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise? Seeing some stats would help to put this into perspective.
It's a fringe movement with a few loudmouths making a lot of noise.
That describes Trump in 2020, so it isn’t very reassuring.

One doesn’t have to be a devout Christian to swallow their snake oil. I can easily imagine my non religious MAGA brother buying into it.
Yeah... that's what I thought about the Trump thing back in the spring of 2016. Was pretty darn certain that whole thing was going to be wiped from the face of the planet.

Goodness, how awfully wrong that thought was!
So what? He'll be out on his ass in 2029 and the government will go back to normal. Besides which, Trump isn't one of them -- they're just another of the many little constituencies Trump used and discarded on his way to power. He doesn't give a rat's ass about their goals, or their ideology, or them. If he isn't an atheist he's about the most watered-down Christian on the planet. These guys are antisemites; Trump likes the Jews; Bibi's his best buddy. The only way Trump would impose a theocracy is if we went all Roman Empire and made him the god.
Cool story but you missed the point, but crazyfingers got it.
 
So what? He'll be out on his ass in 2029 and the government will go back to normal. Besides which, Trump isn't one of them -- they're just another of the many little constituencies Trump used and discarded on his way to power. He doesn't give a rat's ass about their goals, or their ideology, or them. If he isn't an atheist he's about the most watered-down Christian on the planet. These guys are antisemites; Trump likes the Jews; Bibi's his best buddy. The only way Trump would impose a theocracy is if we went all Roman Empire and made him the god.

It doesn't matter if Trump has a religion or not. Christian nationalists give him power and he will give them theocracy to the extent that continues to give him power. Power is all that Trump cares about. That and money and his malignant face on TV.
Exactly. Power is all that Trump cares about. That and money and his malignant face on TV. Giving Christian nationalists theocracy will not continue to give Trump power one second past the close of polls on Nov. 3. So why would he do a bloody thing for them after that?
 
Back
Top Bottom