• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are You Ready For The First Presidential Debate?

Trump now starting with the Hunter Biden canards and predictably, Biden seems to take real personal offense about this.

Trump is asked about blacks in America... and he goes to law enforcement and then "law and order".

From my daughter: "It's a little better now that the moderator is talking to Trump like he's 2."

Now Trump is throwing out racial dog whistles - crime in democratic run cities and the suburbs being ruined. Given an opportunity to condemn white supremacist groups, he defers to Antifa instead.

Climate change - is the only thing Trump can talk about is raking forests? Chris Wallace is tossing facts about Trump's own initiatives causing additional pollution. Biden gets to sit back for a minute and let the moderator take a shot or two.

Doesn't Trump realize that most of the forests in California are federal property?

And finally (I hope) the last segment. Trump is laying the false foundation about how bad the election is going to be so he can claim his loss was fraudulent.

Yeah, Trump is effectively saying he wants to throw out all absentee mail-in ballots via SCOTUS.

That's a wrap - Melania barely acknowledges the Donald and Jill gives Joe a big hug. I think that sums it up.

well that was immensely stupid in an almost shockingly banal way.
before forcing me to watch it i told my wife i'll be 90 minutes of a retarded lunatic yelling at doddering idiot, and i feel like my prediction was pretty spot on.

i find the contrast interesting, that trump can ramble on seemingly endlessly and in theory sound like he's speaking coherently, but nothing true or rational or substantive comes out so it's just gum flapping to zero effect.
meanwhile biden can't seem to hold more than two coherent sentences together, but the point he's trying to make is a solidly milquetoast centrist democrat political statement.

Didn't watch it, but I turned on CNN after and the first thing I heard from Jake Tapper, "hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a trainwreck." Then Dana Bash called it a "shitshow." Shitshow seems to be the consensus.

Didn't watch it, but I turned on CNN after and the first thing I heard from Jake Tapper, "hot mess inside a dumpster fire inside a trainwreck." Then Dana Bash called it a "shitshow." Shitshow seems to be the consensus.

Two sumo wrestlers in a kiddie pool filled with jello. Poor Chris.

well that was immensely stupid in an almost shockingly banal way.
before forcing me to watch it i told my wife i'll be 90 minutes of a retarded lunatic yelling at doddering idiot, and i feel like my prediction was pretty spot on.

i find the contrast interesting, that trump can ramble on seemingly endlessly and in theory sound like he's speaking coherently, but nothing true or rational or substantive comes out so it's just gum flapping to zero effect.
meanwhile biden can't seem to hold more than two coherent sentences together, but the point he's trying to make is a solidly milquetoast centrist democrat political statement.
Speaking with a stutter, with that asshole just yammering away endlessly. Wallace had no control.

Pretty much it was an episode of Chopped where one guy was taking a shit on the cutting board and flinging it around, which pretty much just owned the event no matter much the other cooks tried to cook.

Title 538.com link: What Went Down During The First Presidential Debate | FiveThirtyEight

I like this:
Julia Azari:
Again with the “I’m getting along very well with the governor” — everything is about personal relationships and emotion for Trump.

Also stuff on forest fires.
Geoffrey Skelley:
Note that climate change went unmentioned at all three debates in 2016, so I guess this is progress?

Perry Bacon Jr:
I am glad Wallace is bringing up climate change. It was not in his original list of subjects (at least that I saw) — and that was a huge mistake in my mind. Such an important issue.

Maggie Koerth:
If anything other than climate change is to blame for fires in the West, it’s not forest litter, it’s electrical infrastructure management.

Clare Malone:
Trump’s grasp of forest fires is … weird and wrong. I don’t know what else to say about it right now.
Then
Shom Mazumder:
In an unexpected turn, we get a question about climate change. Saul Levin and I covered recent work showing that exposure to wildfires increases support for climate action. Despite elite disagreement on the issue, voters tend to support fairly aggressive action to address climate change.

Laura Bronner:
Climate change is the 5th most important issue for Biden supporters, but it’s dead last for Trump supporters in the FiveThirtyEight/Ipsos poll.

Kaleigh Roberts:
Part of what Trump is saying here is true. Many Native American tribes traditionally used controlled burns to clear out fuel and prevent wildfires. Much of those controlled, ceremonial burns were blocked by federal and state governments until recently.

Amelia Thomson-Deveaux:
Trump is blaming California for not managing its forests and allowing fires to happen as a result. In that state alone, though, 58 percent of the 33 million acres of forest are owned by the federal government.
Is blaming all he can do? As to suppression of forest fires, that's because they can destroy people's property. Try selling controlled burns to someone who lives among a lot of dry vegetation. Even if burning it is the most convenient way of disposing of it.
Geoffrey Skelley:
A mid-September national survey from NBC News/The Wall Street Journal found that 58 percent thought that Biden would handle climate change better compared to just 19 percent who said Trump would do better — the widest gap on any issue the pollster asked about.

Maggie Koerth:
I want to talk a little more about this wildfire issue. Aging electric infrastructure is a big part of these fires. The Camp fire in 2018, for instance, was started by a 100-year-old tower that hadn’t been well maintained.

Laura Bronner:
Among people who said climate change was their most important issue, almost everyone said Biden would handle it better than Trump. But hardly any Trump supporters said it was their top issue.

Meena Ganesan:
Environmentalism in the U.S. used to be a fairly bipartisan issue. The EPA, founded in 1970, was actually a product of the Nixon administration.

Back
Top Bottom