• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ark Replica to Sail

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Full size Dutch ark replica is preparing to sail to Brazil.
Hope they have life boats.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/builders-...and-brazil-175404057--abc-news-lifestyle.html

One Christian organization is hoping to bring a story from the Bible to life.
The group Ark of Noah hopes to set sail in a "replica" of the Ark of Noah sometime this year.
The ark, which spans five floors and can hold more than 5,000 people at once, is 95 feet wide, 410 feet long and 75 feet tall.
Dutch carpenter Johan Huibers said he began building the Ark of Noah after dreaming about an intense storm that flooded his hometown in the Netherlands.

----

Take THAT Ken Ham!

I'm not a naval architect, but from my minimal structural engineering knowledge, I would guess that this ship will break its back if it encounters even a moderate swell; certainly it will twist a LOT, and leak like a sieve as a result. They won't even make it into the North Sea; as soon as they leave totally flat water, it will founder.

At 125m in length, that thing is 25% longer than the longest known wooden ship that has ever sailed the oceans; The USS Dunderberg was a wooden framed ironclad, and she was only 100m long (excluding her 15m ram), and despite significant iron and timber reinforcing of her structure (resulting in very limited internal space), she only made one open ocean voyage, and that was in the shelter of a coastline.

As far as I can discover, no all-wood ship (ie without iron or steel structural reinforcement) above 80m in length has ever made a successful transoceanic voyage. This Ark is more than half as long again; If it is made only of timber, and has a light enough frame as to provide sufficient space inside to hold 5,000 people, then it has close to zero chance of getting from The Netherlands to the Americas (or even to the British Isles), unless they put her on a proper steel ship transporter, or disassemble her and take her over in pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if he used steel framework to hold it together as it rides over swells?

That's their only hope - but it is definitely cheating.

I'm not a naval architect, but from my minimal structural engineering knowledge, I would guess that this ship will break its back if it encounters even a moderate swell; certainly it will twist a LOT, and leak like a sieve as a result. They won't even make it into the North Sea; as soon as they leave totally flat water, it will founder.

At 125m in length, that thing is 25% longer than the longest known wooden ship that has ever sailed the oceans; The USS Dunderberg was a wooden framed ironclad, and she was only 100m long (excluding her 15m ram), and despite significant iron and timber reinforcing of her structure (resulting in very limited internal space), she only made one open ocean voyage, and that was in the shelter of a coastline.

As far as I can discover, no all-wood ship (ie without iron or steel structural reinforcement) above 80m in length has ever made a successful transoceanic voyage. This Ark is more than half as long again; If it is made only of timber, and has a light enough frame as to provide sufficient space inside to hold 5,000 people, then it has close to zero chance of getting from The Netherlands to the Americas (or even to the British Isles), unless they put her on a proper steel ship transporter, or disassemble her and take her over in pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if he used steel framework to hold it together as it rides over swells?

With respect to actual seafaring, the entire design is cringe-worthy. Google says that it is made of steel barges welded together, with a wooden skin - and even so, it still wouldn't be able to get across an ocean. They are mounting it on an actual ship and transporting it. So much for a 'sailing' ark replica...

- - - Updated - - -

With respect to actual seafaring, the entire design is cringe-worthy. Google says that it is made of steel barges welded together, with a wooden skin - and even so, it still wouldn't be able to get across an ocean. They are mounting it on an actual ship and transporting it. So much for a 'sailing' ark replica...

LOL. Cheating by using steel is bad enough; But I struggle to adequately express my contempt for someone who cheats (by using inauthentic materials), and still manages to lose (by having to use a modern ship transporter), and then brags about how he has won (by telling the press his ark will 'sail' to Brazil).

Should they be allowed to do it or should those with sense protect them from themselves?

LOL. Cheating by using steel is bad enough; But I struggle to adequately express my contempt for someone who cheats (by using inauthentic materials), and still manages to lose (by having to use a modern ship transporter), and then brags about how he has won (by telling the press his ark will 'sail' to Brazil).

Well the main problem here is that they don't have access to gopher wood which is the key. I wonder if anyone has tried planting a gopher to see if we could grow any more...

Well the main problem here is that they don't have access to gopher wood which is the key. I wonder if anyone has tried planting a gopher to see if we could grow any more...

They should try Bunnings Warehouse; That's where I gopher wood.

Should they be allowed to do it or should those with sense protect them from themselves?
Looks like they've got enough sense not to trust their lives to stupid thing.

I wouldn't give them that much credit. There are a lot of requirements to register a ship to travel internationally - they probably got laughed out of the building.

If this is what it smells like -- the end times -- then I clearly will be among the drowned. One small suggestion, for the good of the surviving elect: consider leaving a few animals off the next ark. Wouldn't it have been extra nice of God if he had told Noah not to include a mating pair of fleas, ticks, tapeworms, tsetse flies, horseflies, mosquitoes, chiggers, bedbugs, Trump supporters, leeches, leprosy and anthrax bacteria...? I realize this list is subject to revision and additions, but wouldn't it be nice to plan for the New Dispensation this time, to custom-design the next millenium? You're welcome.

From what I heard, the whole thing is sitting on top of a barge, so no one is going to die.

To make it extra-realistic, the one playing Noah needs to get completely shit-faced after they land and fall down naked in a pup tent. Then have Chris Rock (as Hambone) walk in and start doing bits on him.

5000 people? That'd be enough for the Republican Convention, right?

Back
Top Bottom