• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

At least 6 dead in Mass Shooting du Jour

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
It might well be easy for you to refuse to permit an unlawful search of your vehicle. For a young black man, such refusal is a life threatening risk. Which is the whole point.
[citation needed] For example, Wright wasn't shot because he refused consent to a search of their vehicle. Neither was St. Patrick Lyoya. He fought with the police officer and grabbed his taser.

It's not sufficient to say that you have the right not to be stopped and searched without cause; The reality on the ground must be that police are routinely and effectively punished for infringing or attempting to infringe that right, or the right has no effective existence at all.
You have not shown that this happens with any regularity. It certainly wasn't part of the Daunte Wright stop, and you brought it up in that context.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Exactly. When the cops do illegal stops and searches, it’s illegal. A crime. Lock’em up, right Derec? Even if those criminal cops don’t kill you, you’ll probably be delayed even more than if there was, say, a roadblock.
If police officers commit a criminal act they should be prosecuted for it. However, those roadblocks that you are so in favor of (when you agree with the idiots doing it at least) last hours. Let's not trivialize them!

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
"It" being hanging all criminals? I should hope not.
No. Imprisoning felons - especially violent ones. Jailing people for violent or otherwise serious misdemeanors. Less serious stuff can be handled with community service and such.

The Norwegian and Icelandic models seem to be very effective.
Even they have jails and prisons. Anders Breivik wasn't given a stern talking to and told not to be naughty in the future. He also wasn't given money to incentivize him not to do it again (you advocated for such payments in an older thread I recall).

That said, these Nordic countries are nutty in their own way. In Iceland, for example, it is illegal to take off your clothes for money.

Certainly it's better to just let criminals go than it is to hang or incarcerate the entire human race. Which is the "It" whose context you both snipped and, apparently, totally failed to understand.
Nobody is advocating any of these things. You may like erecting and knocking down strawmen, but the rest of us do not want to join you.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
However, those roadblocks that you are so in favor of

Have fun railing against that figment of your imagination. Not deeming blocking a road to be a capital offense certainly does not mean a person “favors” roadblocks. Your ability to construct strawmen is indeed impressive, as it needs to be since it’s your stock response to anything you are unable to address.

In Iceland, for example, it is illegal to take off your clothes for money
:hobbyhorse::hobbyhorse::hobbyhorse:

You should start a(nother) thread specifically for exercising your hobbyhorse.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
Unfortunately people are still judged as wanting because they are black. Or have a ‘foreign accent.’ Or practice a ‘funny’ religion. Or are gay or trans. Or female.
I know you don’t see it. But I’ve watched it, and have experienced my share. Way more recently that I wish.
You are conflating many issues here. "Funny" religion for example is unlike race in that the latter is an immutable happenstance of ancestry, while the former is a set of belief and practices, and a choice of each individual.
And all those traits you mention can be positive or negative. People can judge others as being less than because they are white. Or male. Or kafir. And trans-women in particular enjoy great advantages in competitive sports.
Those 'funny' religions I was most thinking of are Islam and Judaism. Regardless of whether or not you are a practicing Muslim or practicing Jew, you are assumed all sorts of things by some people. Sikh would fall into that as well. Even if you are say, a Christian of Egyptian or Lebanese extraction, you are assumed to be Muslim, and just itching to overturn good Christian USA and institute Sharia law, for example. We're all aware of nasty stereotypes against Jews, which are less now than they used to be but still very much exist.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Have fun railing against that figment of your imagination. Not deeming blocking a road to be a capital offense certainly does not mean a person “favors” roadblocks. Your ability to construct strawmen is indeed impressive, as it needs to be since it’s your stock response to anything you are unable to address.
We debated the #BLM tactic to blockade highways, bridges etc. in many threads. For example, here and here. Many lefty posters have defended such tactics - by only by left-wing activists.

You should start a(nother) thread specifically for exercising your hobbyhorse.
It was Bilby who brought up Iceland, as some sort of example regarding their legal system.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
The risk/benefit is not spread out evenly across the US nor across a region or a state or a city, for that matter. The US is generally more segregated now compared with 50-60 years ago.
Citation needed.
[typical Toni anecdote of her standing up to some evil cis hetero white male snipped]

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Those 'funny' religions I was most thinking of are Islam and Judaism.
Hence my use of "kafir". That's the Islamic term for non-Muslims. My point was that such judgments can go both ways.
Your definition of kafir only partially accurate. Judgments do go both ways. However, in the US, Muslims are a small minority. The force of the culture, society and the law is much more Christian--or atheist oriented. My assumption has been that we are primarily discussing the US, although also Australia and perhaps Europe.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
In the US there is enough of a racial pattern that you can make a chart like this, but race is just a proxy for the true issue.

And that issue is poverty.
But since it correlates with race due to long term structural economic racism, it makes a great tool with which to claim, without lying, that black people commit disproportionate amounts of homicides, implying a race based proclivity for crime. Then they chant ‘lock em up’ as if that was a solution.

Poor people also commit more crimes. We should lock them up too. And anyone else who can be identified with a carefully constructed crime profile. /:Sarcasm:
Poor people are more likely to be arrested, tried and convicted of crimes. That’s not the same thing as committing more crimes.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
You are aware that recruitment letters are not letters of acceptance, right? You are aware that many schools do their best to broaden the range of students who will apply? And I suppose you also are aware of the fact that one of the ways that schools get such a high number of applicants with respect to the number of seats they have open in any class is to recruit outside of the usual populations of students who apply? And that by boosting the number of applicants for that limited number of seats also boosts the school's selectivity score.

Reality check time: They aren't going to send a recruitment letter to someone they know they won't admit. SAT differences on recruitment letters (and note that they did not deny it) mean they have different standards for admission for different races. Smells rather like gunsmoke to me.
Oh, that’s not true at all! They send recruitment letters out to a lot of students who are less likely to consider Harvard. All the Ivies do, as well as any selective school. They may get applications from an excellent student they would not have otherwise heard from. And—they get to keep their stats up.

Look, Loren, back in the day I received letters inviting me to apply to some pretty fancy schools out East. I doubt I would have been accepted at all of them if I had applied. As it was, family circumstances dictated that I stay within an hour’s driving distance, so my theory will forever remain untested.

IIDB Staff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
N/a
Split complete. Go here for the discussion on Affirmative Action.

Top Bottom