• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

atheists in war

dystopian

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
This is a pretty ridiculous thread. But somehow I can't resist.

atheists have WILL TO KILL but atheists dont have WILL TO DIE because for atheist in their mind this is only life they have so atheist cant have WILL TO DIE

for believers there is a life after death so they can sacrifice this life for next

So, in a hypothetical war between atheists and believers, the believers would just mindlessly throw themselves into the grinder, sacrificing their lives because hey 'whatever, we'll go to heaven anyway'; all the while deluding themselves into thinking that wars are won by those who are willing to die.

Meanwhile, the atheists will do what atheists will do; put their trust in science instead of faith and obliterate the enemy using drones and neutron bombs.

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim
This is a pretty ridiculous thread. But somehow I can't resist.

atheists have WILL TO KILL but atheists dont have WILL TO DIE because for atheist in their mind this is only life they have so atheist cant have WILL TO DIE

for believers there is a life after death so they can sacrifice this life for next

So, in a hypothetical war between atheists and believers, the believers would just mindlessly throw themselves into the grinder, sacrificing their lives because hey 'whatever, we'll go to heaven anyway'; all the while deluding themselves into thinking that wars are won by those who are willing to die.

Meanwhile, the atheists will do what atheists will do; put their trust in science instead of faith and obliterate the enemy using drones and neutron bombs.

no, atheists cant win war with believers because atheists afraid to die in war

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God

What will we die of? High blood pressure from eating all the doughnuts in the kitchen beside the room we fly the drones from?

Admittedly, it's a risk, but I don't think one the will decide the war.

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim

What will we die of? High blood pressure from eating all the doughnuts in the kitchen beside the room we fly the drones from?

you cant win war with drone, drone are weapon of terrorist

dystopian

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

What you fail to realize is that even if that were true: it doesn't matter.

It USED to be true that in order to win a war you needed people willing to die in war. That hasn't been true in a long time, however. Being willing to die in war is meaningless when your enemy has high-altitude stealth bombers that can flatten entire mountains. Modern wars are won by 1) having superior technology, 2) having an unbroken chain of supply, 3) have sea/air superiority. Whether or not individual soldiers are willing to die or not is almost entirely irrelevant.

dystopian

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

You really don't understand what war is, do you?

Yes, you CAN win a war with drones. Why? Because all that is required to win a war is to kill your enemy. If you fit your drones with heavy weapon and enough ammunition to kill each and every enemy; then you win if that enemy can't destroy the drones. Simple; especially when you don't care about collateral damage: you can't hide from a drone that just attacks everything it sees.

Tom Sawyer

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
That I'm God

So's strapping a bomb to yourself and blowing up the enemy along with you. You seem to be good with that, however.

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic
[
all i can say west run away without any satisfaction

There is much more you could say, but we both know you will not.

whole world knows every thing nothing is hidden

- - - Updated - - -

west have nothing to show what they WIN in iraq nor in afghanistan
But that's politics, Syed, and mostly Christain-flavored.
What the fuck does that have to do with this thread?

nothing just chating

Syed, you seem to be mistaken about the goals of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. The US did not go to war to conquer those countries. The goal of the war was to kill thousands of people, destroy property and disrupt their lives permanently. Having done that, we left, leaving them in the hellhole we created.

If you want to gloat over a pile of smoking rubble, that is your privilege. All that "will to die" was their greatest weakness and we turned it on them.
so why west STILL unhappy about outcome of war?

war in iraq and afghanistan help muslims to wake-up and throw dictators

beside death is NOT evil itself we ALL going to die

Who said the west is unhappy about the outcome of the war? Now Muslims are killing Muslims and we are out of it. You have to remember the motto of the US Military, "We will fuck up your shit." Once that is accomplished, we go home.

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim

What you fail to realize is that even if that were true: it doesn't matter.

It USED to be true that in order to win a war you needed people willing to die in war. That hasn't been true in a long time, however. Being willing to die in war is meaningless when your enemy has high-altitude stealth bombers that can flatten entire mountains. Modern wars are won by 1) having superior technology, 2) having an unbroken chain of supply, 3) have sea/air superiority. Whether or not individual soldiers are willing to die or not is almost entirely irrelevant.

you should try that with russia

if you fight with you equal power atheist will run away

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim
[

- - - Updated - - -

nothing just chating

Syed, you seem to be mistaken about the goals of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq. The US did not go to war to conquer those countries. The goal of the war was to kill thousands of people, destroy property and disrupt their lives permanently. Having done that, we left, leaving them in the hellhole we created.

If you want to gloat over a pile of smoking rubble, that is your privilege. All that "will to die" was their greatest weakness and we turned it on them.

Who said the west is unhappy about the outcome of the war? Now Muslims are killing Muslims and we are out of it. You have to remember the motto of the US Military, "We will fuck up your shit." Once that is accomplished, we go home.

my calculation tell me that west are loser in this war , i know west killed too many muslims but death is NOT evil

killing is evil but death is good

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
you should try that with russia

if you fight with you equal power atheist will run away
<edit>
I've never been in combat, but i have feared for my life a few times. A few fires, some flooding, an unanticipated depth excursion to the point where the hull warped....
Each and every time, my biggest concern was getting my procedures correct.

Ever watch Ice Station Zebra? The one kid that starts praying during the flooding AND depth excursion? The CO tells him to be quiet, they're working. That's mostly what we did.

Sure, they invoked their personal gods AFTER the casualty. Lots of 'God DAMN i don't wanna do that again."
And the atheists and agnostics said 'THAT was fucking fun!' a lot. No gods, but lots of emotion.

Still, the conditioning held in the face of, at some points, pretty convincing death.

You do not know what you're taking about.

As usual.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
my calculation tell me that west are loser in this war ,
Yeah, but YOUR calculations tell you that people who use drones are terrorists. And that somehow means that you don't win wars... By killing the enemy and denying him a chance to shoot back at you...

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Again, Russia vs Nazi Germany. Vietnam vs U.S. and France.

russia did not fought ALONE with nazis

america and france fought unjust war with vietnam therefore did not have faith in god

Vietnamese and Russians fought bravely and effectively.

Adolf Hirler, Table Talk
It is said that every man needs a refuge where he can find consolation and help in unhappiness. I do not believe it! If humanity follows that path, it is solely a matter of tradition and habit. That is a lesson, by the way, that can be drawn from the Bolshevik front. The Russians have no God, and that does not prevent them from being able to face death.

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic
[

my calculation tell me that west are loser in this war , i know west killed too many muslims but death is NOT evil

Muslims kill more Muslims than the west ever has.

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim

america and france fought unjust war with vietnam therefore did not have faith in god

Adolf Hirler, Table Talk
It is said that every man needs a refuge where he can find consolation and help in unhappiness. I do not believe it! If humanity follows that path, it is solely a matter of tradition and habit. That is a lesson, by the way, that can be drawn from the Bolshevik front. The Russians have no God, and that does not prevent them from being able to face death.

look my point is believer have some reason not to fear death compare to atheists, fear of death is NATURAL for ALL living creature,
atheists have no reason NOT to fear death

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim
[

but you said west went to war to kill them

the conflict in iraq between sunni and shia created by american for their advantage in war

dystopian

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
look my point is believer have some reason not to fear death compare to atheists, fear of death is NATURAL for ALL living creature,

Just because atheists fear death doesn't mean that believers don't ALSO fear death; just because some (but hardly anything approaching a majority) are delusional enough to believe god will send them to heaven instead of hell doesn't mean they don't fear death all the same. Nor does it mean that atheists won't risk their lives in war. In fact, in the US atheists join the military at much higher rates than believers do. 21% of the US military is atheists, while they only make up less than 10% of the total population of the country. This would indicate that atheists are in fact braver than their christian counterparts.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
Now, all you have to do is find some reason to think that a willingness to die enhances success in combat.
Rather than just makes it that much easier for the enemy to shoot you from behind cover.
Or from Southern California with drones.

ideologyhunter

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
Jesus Christ on Broadway. I just read this thread and can't get an image out of my head: masses of white robed warriors running across the desert doing that Arabic war cry that sounds like 'Li-li-li-li-li-li-li-li-li-li!!!!!'

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic

but you said west went to war to kill them

the conflict in iraq between sunni and shia created by american for their advantage in war

Are Muslims that easy to manipulate? Do they do the bidding of the US government?

Make up your mind. Looks like we got what we wanted, doesn't it.

funinspace

Don't Panic
Basic Beliefs
functional atheist; theoretical agnostic
Again, Russia vs Nazi Germany. Vietnam vs U.S. and France.

Ignoring the absurdity of this silly argument of yours. Communist (aka atheist) China and Russia fought the Christian US to a stand still in the Korean war, essentially winning the conflict. Can't wait for the usual twisted explanation to make the data fit your "argument"...mash the square peg thru the round hole, just need a bigger mallet...

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
Can't wait for the usual twisted explanation to make the data fit your "argument"...
Three options exist in the patented Syed response:
1. Make up a rationalization.
2. Take that claim as branching off point for an unrelated tangent ("US motherland not threaten by korea war so didn't sending their real troops, just drafted").
3. Pretend that your post does not exist and continue blithely (Which includes quoting your post and just repeating his initial claim).

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic/Syndicalist
Jesus Christ on Broadway. I just read this thread and can't get an image out of my head: masses of white robed warriors running across the desert doing that Arabic war cry that sounds like 'Li-li-li-li-li-li-li-li-li-li!!!!!'

There's a name for something like that: Targets! But Modern Muslims never fight any Westerner who can fight back. And tell them the enemy are Israelis, and they take their shoes off to run away faster.

Eldarion Lathria

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
y

Adolf Hirler, Table Talk

look my point is believer have some reason not to fear death compare to atheists, fear of death is NATURAL for ALL living creature, atheists have no reason NOT to fear death

You're simply wrong as proven by the examples we have posted here to you.

free radical

Basic Beliefs
atheist agnostic

Adolf Hirler, Table Talk

You obviously don't know any atheists,
I'm not looking forward to dying but certainly don't fear it,,and none of the atheists I know fear death neither,death is natural and inevitable so why worry about it,
And there's always the possibility of reincarnation,so you religious beliefs have no advantages at all..

Atheos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic
Somehow this reminds me of the old adage about wrestling with a pig.

It would appear to me that somehow Syed has started this thread off with an assumption that war is a good thing. Somehow it's good that it is possible to delude a bunch of people into thinking their lives are not that valuable; that they should not think twice about going to fight against people just because someone else thinks it's a good idea; that they shouldn't do everything in their power to find other alternatives first.

To me that's a mark of the insanity we (as a species) have accepted as "normal." Is this the legacy of bronze-age superstitions? That war is a good thing? If so, I'm thankful for the Internet and for the effect it will continue to have in getting people's heads out of their metaphorical asses.

There is nothing good about war. Theism, especially theism that can be used to promote war, is insane. As people become more enlightened they see the common misguided zealotry of the religion next door and finally come to understand they're merely looking in a mirror. Warmongering theism is a vestige of a shared insanity borne of ignorance during more primitive times. The sooner it disappears from our planet the better off we'll all be. I'm getting on in years, but I still have the fervent wish that before I die I'll be able to see strong evidence that this is, indeed happening. And I believe it is.

Syed, you brag of things for which one should only feel shame. You are my brother. I have no wish that either of us should have to die. There is always a way to solve every argument that does not involve killing the person who believes differently. Finding the solution that does not involve killing someone is far superior to killing someone. If your religion makes you believe differently then it is a horrid religion.

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
I still see the same type of thinking in little children. So, from this perspective, I think as long as children are born ignorant, there will always be a little bit of teaching that needs to be done before they fully appreciate various things in life.

That's my toy!!! What, you mean the toy you were ignoring until I started playing with it? Waaaahhh! And so the war begins....

crispy

Basic Beliefs
why do you care?
[

- - - Updated - - -

nothing just chating

If thats supposed to make sense shouldnt you thank the soldiers who do evil and go to hell for liberating many nice afghans from this miserable existance on earth if death is so good?

ideologyhunter

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
Syed won't be happy til he can time travel back to the 9th century, ride a camel with some burka-breath woman who hangs on his every word, and attempt to harass us through time-portal posts from a laptop made of mud.
Also: grammar, sir. Grammar, I say!

free radical

Basic Beliefs
atheist agnostic

It would appear to me that somehow Syed has started this thread off with an assumption that war is a good thing. Somehow it's good that it is possible to delude a bunch of people into thinking their lives are not that valuable; that they should not think twice about going to fight against people just because someone else thinks it's a good idea; that they shouldn't do everything in their power to find other alternatives first.

To me that's a mark of the insanity we (as a species) have accepted as "normal." Is this the legacy of bronze-age superstitions? That war is a good thing? If so, I'm thankful for the Internet and for the effect it will continue to have in getting people's heads out of their metaphorical asses.

There is nothing good about war. Theism, especially theism that can be used to promote war, is insane. As people become more enlightened they see the common misguided zealotry of the religion next door and finally come to understand they're merely looking in a mirror. Warmongering theism is a vestige of a shared insanity borne of ignorance during more primitive times. The sooner it disappears from our planet the better off we'll all be. I'm getting on in years, but I still have the fervent wish that before I die I'll be able to see strong evidence that this is, indeed happening. And I believe it is.

Syed, you brag of things for which one should only feel shame. You are my brother. I have no wish that either of us should have to die. There is always a way to solve every argument that does not involve killing the person who believes differently. Finding the solution that does not involve killing someone is far superior to killing someone. If your religion makes you believe differently then it is a horrid religion.
War what is it good for
http://youtu.be/dpWmlRNfLck

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
atheist will never win a war with believers in god

to win a war you MUST have two thing

1) will to kill
2) will to die

the reason soviet union lost war with afghanistan because russian atheist dont have will to die so they run away from death

in other word atheist are pussy cat

You're absolutely correct. Religious people are much more willing to kill, as anyone can see from watching the news.

What is interesting is that you think this is a selling point for religion, whereas I find it a good reason to avoid religion. I simply don't have enough bloodlust to be a believer.

braces_for_impact

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

1) will to kill
2) will to die

the reason soviet union lost war with afghanistan because russian atheist dont have will to die so they run away from death

To quote Yoda: "Wars not make one great".

My friend, you are truly immature. The measure of any society and it's greatness isn't how well they destroy, but how well they build. In this regard, your Muslim societies have much to learn.

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim

good rant, you should have been george w bush adviser, you could have save 3 trillion dollars + human lives

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim

1) will to kill
2) will to die

To quote Yoda: "Wars not make one great".

My friend, you are truly immature. The measure of any society and it's greatness isn't how well they destroy, but how well they build. In this regard, your Muslim societies have much to learn.
muslims did not started world war 1 and 2

now something you learn

- - - Updated - - -

1) will to kill
2) will to die

You're absolutely correct. Religious people are much more willing to kill, as anyone can see from watching the news.

What is interesting is that you think this is a selling point for religion, whereas I find it a good reason to avoid religion. I simply don't have enough bloodlust to be a believer.

tell me which war you didnt support ?

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
tell me which war you didnt support ?
Well, I, for one, never thought we had a good reason to be in Iraq.
I was also against the invasion of Grenada. And Panama.

But no one asked me about any of them.

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
I'm guessing that by starting the "why white western christians converting to islam?" thread, Syed's tacitly admitting he hasn't got a peg leg to stand on with this one....

Atheos

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Skeptic

good rant, you should have been george w bush adviser, you could have save 3 trillion dollars + human lives

Do you have an actual rejoinder that is relevant? Is it your opinion that there is something good about war? I'm as certain that there is nothing good about war as I am that imaginary friends like Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Allah don't exist. That certainty is borne of evidence and rational thought. However I am willing to admit I'm wrong about all of them if someone provides solid evidence and persuasive argument. I've been wrong many times in my life and don't mind admitting it when I am.

Irrelevant taunts about things I have no possibility of doing (such as becoming a trusted presidential adviser) are childish and pointless.

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim

Do you have an actual rejoinder that is relevant? Is it your opinion that there is something good about war? I'm as certain that there is nothing good about war as I am that imaginary friends like Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Allah don't exist. That certainty is borne of evidence and rational thought. However I am willing to admit I'm wrong about all of them if someone provides solid evidence and persuasive argument. I've been wrong many times in my life and don't mind admitting it when I am.

Irrelevant taunts about things I have no possibility of doing (such as becoming a trusted presidential adviser) are childish and pointless.

tell us which american's war you did not support ?

are you claiming you are gandhi or something?

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...

One doesn't have to be a complete pacifist to think that war is not a good thing.
I was in uniform pointing nuclear weapons at my own planet, desperately hoping that i'd never be ordered to use them.
One can see war as the lesser of two evils AND STILL figure that it's evil.

Unless you have a logical argument, rational thought, and evidence that there's anything good about war that can't be achieved some other way that doesn't involve collateral damage, destruction and slaughter?

Syed

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
muslim

One doesn't have to be a complete pacifist to think that war is not a good thing.
I was in uniform pointing nuclear weapons at my own planet, desperately hoping that i'd never be ordered to use them.

Unless you have a logical argument, rational thought, and evidence that there's anything good about war that can't be achieved some other way that doesn't involve collateral damage, destruction and slaughter?

man you born in a nation who has history of waging war and bombing defenseless country to stoneage

Bronzeage

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Pragmatic

man you born in a nation who has history of waging war and bombing defenseless country to stoneage

Something a defenseless country should think about before fucking with us.
Here's a question. Why do Muslims kill so many other Muslims?

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...

Yeah, that's not really any reason to think that war is not evil, Syed. I mean, aside from the fact that it's not historically true, it would be a reason to think war was a BAD thing.

What defenseless country have we bombed to the stone age, Syed?
What country's defenders have been reduced to stone knives and bear skins rather than AK-47s?

- - - Updated - - -

Something a defenseless country should think about before fucking with us.
Here's a question. Why do Muslims kill so many other Muslims?
did iraq attached america ?
They weren't exactly a defenseless country, though, were they?

Top Bottom