• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Australia Declares Homeopathy "Useless"

LINK

One thing I really despise is homeopathy. Now Australia's main health service has declared it ineffective compared with placebos. About time.

Many people I talk to have no idea what the word means, and don't seem to catch when commercials refer to something as homeopathic.

The snake oil salesmen have made a comeback, and they used the sloppy thinking of hippies to do it. I think it's high time we held these alternative medicine fraudsters to the same set of standards we apply to anyone else making a health claim.

The snake oil salesmen have made a comeback, and they used the sloppy thinking of hippies to do it. I think it's high time we held these alternative medicine fraudsters to the same set of standards we apply to anyone else making a health claim.

As long as dumb, irrational humans keep buying, human fraudsters will keep selling..It will NEVER end..I am embarrassed to be part of such nonsense..Right next to the cod liver oil in my local pharm sits Oscillococcinum, derived from ducks ass, Anas barbariae hepatis et cordis extractum 200CK HPUS..Just reading the ingredients spurs the placebo effect..
:rolleyes-new:

Agreed. Homeopathy is just one facet of this quackery. The same can be said of most naturopathic and alternative stuff, including acupuncture and the dangerous chiropractic nonsense.

Many people I talk to have no idea what the word means, and don't seem to catch when commercials refer to something as homeopathic.

The back pages of men's magazines used to have ads for "spurious" Spanish Fly, which I'm sure was almost as good as placebo Spanish Fly.

One of the crazy cat ladies who helps us with the feral kitten program swears by homeopathic remedies for her pets.

As long as dumb, irrational humans keep buying, human fraudsters will keep selling..It will NEVER end..I am embarrassed to be part of such nonsense..Right next to the cod liver oil in my local pharm sits Oscillococcinum, derived from ducks ass, Anas barbariae hepatis et cordis extractum 200CK HPUS..Just reading the ingredients spurs the placebo effect..
:rolleyes-new:

Something has changed.

The alternative medicine market has grown, and nowadays you'll find alternative medicines mixed with regular medicine at the local pharmacist. Since I'm too lazy to read the fine print, I've simply decided that pharmacists are no longer trustworthy when it comes to over the counter drugs.

Agreed. Homeopathy is just one facet of this quackery. The same can be said of most naturopathic and alternative stuff, including acupuncture and the dangerous chiropractic nonsense.

While I agree with the plain facts of everything you've written here, integrative medicine is now a board certification, and not all "alternative" medicine is a fraud or is ineffective. Some is, some is not. Scientists all over the world are in the process, and have been for decades, using the modern scientific method, to determine what is effective and what is not. We are now entering an age of real enlightenment. The biggest problem with modern western medicine, is that it has taken far too long to realize how important nutrition is, not only for the prevention of disease, but the vital role role it can play in healing.

Cancer and heart disease are preventable diseases:
http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2014/03/03/jech-2013-203500.long

Preventable? It doesnt prevents. It gives you better odds but that paper says not "prevents" in any considerable amount...
Greens are good for you though...
Which has been known for a very long time...

No, it doesn't specifically say "prevent" but anyone with at least "half a wit", reading that, will interpret it that way. Furthermore, when you combine that with thousands of other research studies, the "power" and role of nutrition is clear. With all due respect, I don't know why you or anyone could possibly come to the conclusion, and I disagree. Perhaps you can cite something, somewhere, that indicates it doesn't "prevent" so the burden of proof is on you. Good luck with that.

Of course it improves your odds (the limitations with human control groups, is why these studies can only give us "odds"), and it is not just the "greens" that give the benefit. The blues, reds, yellows, and oranges are vitally important as well.

Sequencing the DNA of microbes in and on our bodies, but most importantly our "gut", has been giving us amazing insight into their role in maintaining our health.

Our genes can be "turned" on or off by environmental factors, and one of those environmental factors is what's in our food.

This discussion reminds me of a Simpsons' episode where Homer's getting a prescription for Bart's ADD.

When talking about how the pills work, the doctor then adds in "The only thing that's more effective is a healthy diet and exercise". Homer just shudders in disgust and takes the prescription.

While I agree with the plain facts of everything you've written here, integrative medicine is now a board certification, and not all "alternative" medicine is a fraud or is ineffective. Some is, some is not. Scientists all over the world are in the process, and have been for decades, using the modern scientific method, to determine what is effective and what is not. We are now entering an age of real enlightenment. The biggest problem with modern western medicine, is that it has taken far too long to realize how important nutrition is, not only for the prevention of disease, but the vital role role it can play in healing.

Cancer and heart disease are preventable diseases:
http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2014/03/03/jech-2013-203500.long

Yeah, all well and good; but there is a word to describe alternative medicine that has been proven to be effective. It is called 'Medicine'.

The rest is guesswork; some might be good, some might be bad, but there is no way to sort the good from the bad, so anyone selling the stuff is selling a lottery ticket.

Back
Top Bottom