• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Australian Federal Election 2019

No one says crikey either. Or shrimp.
You really do need to get out more.

- - - Updated - - -

Who to vote for when you can't stand any of them, that is the question.

Sometimes it comes down to whom do you dislike the least or who will cause the least trouble.

How is that to be determined? Especially when they all make promises to get elected that they either have no intention of keeping or simply cannot deliver.
I find a dart board is as reliable as any other method.

Holy shit! I agree with former Liberal Leader Alexander Downer

Mr Downer, who was the high commissioner to the UK from 2014 to 2018, said he was saddened to see Australia's political discourse become so nasty, particularly on social media.

He described Twitter as a "garbage tip of abuse".

"It's just absolutely toxic. And I think that's very sad. We're not talking about the politicians on Twitter, we're talking about … political activists," Mr Downer said.

Scott Morrison is still Prime Minister. Let's see if he can be the first PM to do a full term through to completion in over a decade. Tony Abbott is gone; don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. Fraser Anning was told to fuck the fuck off, but Jaquie Lambie is back in. The biggest disappointment for me from last night is that Peter Dutton keeps his seat. Not surprising in hindsight, but I was really suckered in by op-ed posts surrounding this election. And considering the amount of Liberal women who resigned their positions, it will be interesting to see if Tanya Plibersek has a go being leader of Labour.

Best part of the night- it looks like no one is getting a clear majority in the House and Senate. And at least the Clive Palmer ads are done, I felt stupider every time I saw one of those fucking things.

Yeah, it's going to be difficult for the LNP to get much done - either they'll be a minority government, so they're going to need cross bench support for pretty much everything, or at worst they will have a one or two seat majority, and be vulnerable to by-elections or defections.

I'm glad to see that Abbott is gone - he was my local member when I lived in Sydney, and so I hated him before most Australians knew who he even was.

IMG_4122.JPG

Really, the result of the election is that not much has changed. Which is a shame - but it could have been a lot worse.

It's too early to be sure, but it looks like Clive Palmer isn't going to win his Senate seat here in QLD. So that's another bright spot.

Fraser Anning got almost no votes at the booth I was counting (I issued and counted for the AEC yesterday). One person did vote 1 Anning's CNP, 2 Green - which is just fucking weird. The paper was formal, and not an obvious donkey vote, so I shudder to think what the inside of their head must be like.

I can only hope that they made a mistake. Or it was the CNP candidate's rather embarrassed mum.

I know, I know; most of my posts are random clips of John Oliver. I'm definitely worse than some posters with their hobby horses, but fuckit I'm owning it. A tribute to Tony Abbott:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk[/youtube]

I'm glad to see that Abbott is gone - he was my local member when I lived in Sydney, and so I hated him before most Australians knew who he even was.

I bumped into him at a function just after Brendan Nelson got the flick in 2007. Man, I've never met someone which such an infantile sense of entitlement - even then he believed he deserves to be PM because of, well, reasons. A very, very different person when he thinks there are no cameras around.

The opinion polls certainly fooled me. That and with Bob dying I assumed would just push Laour over.

Trump, Brexit, and Election 2019 have cast a long shadow over the state of opinion polling at the moment.

The first few paragraphs of this article talk about some of the methodological problems that are arising in opinion polling. Interesting stuff (if you're a statistics nerd).

The opinion polls certainly fooled me. That and with Bob dying I assumed would just push Laour over.

Trump, Brexit, and Election 2019 have cast a long shadow over the state of opinion polling at the moment.

The first few paragraphs of this article talk about some of the methodological problems that are arising in opinion polling. Interesting stuff (if you're a statistics nerd).

I am about to read it, but had to come back here to say that if you are planning to write an article about why the polls were ALWAYS wrong, it would be more impressive amd impactful if you wrote it two days BEFORE the ballot, rather than two days after.

Anyone can do 20-20 hindsight.

Back
Top Bottom