• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Author Wants Southern States To Secede Over Gay Rights, Name New Country 'Reagan'

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
Conservative columnist and former Reagan administration aide Douglas MacKinnon is out with a new book calling for Southern states to secede…again.

While speaking yesterday with Janet Mefferd about his book, “The Secessionist States of America: The Blueprint for Creating a Traditional Values Country…Now,” MacKinnon called for a movement of states, starting with South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, to establish a new country that will adhere to the Religious Right’s political agenda.

Texas, MacKinnon explained, was not included in his secessionist blueprint because “there have been a number of incursions into Texas and other places from some of the folks in Mexico.”

He added that the South had “seceded legally” and “peacefully” during the Civil War, but greedy Northerners like President Lincoln “waged an illegal war that was in fact not declared against the South after the South basically did what we’re talking about in this book now in terms of peacefully, legally and constitutionally leaving the union.”

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conte...ecede-over-gay-rights-name-new-country-reagan

He could have came up with a better name for his new country. I would have gone with Freedomonia, or maybe Christopolis.

I'd be in favor of it.
I mean, Golly, i hated doing refits out of Kings Bay. Move the trident base to a northern state. And the ships out of Mayport. The Army base out of Atlanta... The Air Force and Space Center out of Cocoa...
Just constructing the new bases would spend enough money to make Reagan's military budget look downright miserly. Wouldn't that be ironic?

You'd be surprised how fast the Old Confederacy is Blueing.

It comes down to African-Americans reproducing faster than Whites. White Southern votes for the Democratic Presidential candidate have also probably been artificially below average for the last two elections. Ahem.

Mississippi saw 10% of its Whites vote for Obama in 2012, compared to 18% for Gore. Probably about 25% for Clinton in '96. If Hillary runs a good campaign in 2016, she can get up to 20% of White Mississippians. By that time, Blacks should be about 37% of the MS electorate. If she can pull 90% of them... Well, 0.37 * 0.9 = 0.33. 0.60 * 0.2 = 0.12 Then there's the "everyone else" vote. 0.03 * 0.7 = 0.02. That's 47%, which is getting damned close to 50%. If Hillary manages to get Ben Carson as her opponent.

You can expect the Republican version of the Solid South to be disintegrating completely by 2024.

You'd be surprised how fast the Old Confederacy is Blueing.

It comes down to African-Americans reproducing faster than Whites. White Southern votes for the Democratic Presidential candidate have also probably been artificially below average for the last two elections. Ahem.

Mississippi saw 10% of its Whites vote for Obama in 2012, compared to 18% for Gore. Probably about 25% for Clinton in '96. If Hillary runs a good campaign in 2016, she can get up to 20% of White Mississippians. By that time, Blacks should be about 37% of the MS electorate. If she can pull 90% of them... Well, 0.37 * 0.9 = 0.33. 0.60 * 0.2 = 0.12 Then there's the "everyone else" vote. 0.03 * 0.7 = 0.02. That's 47%, which is getting damned close to 50%. If Hillary manages to get Ben Carson as her opponent.

You can expect the Republican version of the Solid South to be disintegrating completely by 2024.

I concur

Add to that there is another great AA migration, this time going south. and the fastest growing demographic in the south is Hispanic Americans, yeah, I can see a C change in the next 10 years

I don't know why people are in favor of this. It would just result in an even greater cesspool of bigotry and delusional thinking.

I don't know why people are in favor of this. It would just result in an even greater cesspool of bigotry and delusional thinking.

But a walled off cesspool of bigotry and delusional thinking. That's the key. Plus, they'd probably run the place based on some kind of libertarian principles, so the whole area would be dead of starvation in short order and it could be repopulated with a less crazy breeding stock.

Lincoln waged an illegal war could be spun to read, Lincoln fought back against an insurgency that struck first.

Want to secede? No one is keeping you in the US, go the fuck somewhere else where you don't need to worry about the rights of the minority being upheld. Create your Conservatopia where you can outlaw The Pill, gay marriage, and reinstitute the 60 hour work week and let children get back into the coal mines. You can make the taxes low at the federal, state, and local level, that way you won't have to worry about your money being redistributed to pay for pesky things like roads and air traffic control. But please, you need to get the fuck out of this country to do so. If you have enough military might, you may be able to carve a healthy chunk out of Somalia. Get the fuck out!

I don't know that this will be the case. Another factor that some might be a little reluctant to mention is that many of the Republicans' strongest supporters will die soon. Their demographics are overwhelmingly elderly.

I live in the south and I see a different attitude among the young whites. They have been raised going to school with different races and openly gay fellow students. They know that bigotry against both is just that, without any bases in fact. I know that Atlanta isn't representative of the south as a whole, but in the past it has been a bell weather of what the south is becoming.

Lincoln waged an illegal war could be spun to read, Lincoln fought back against an insurgency that struck first.

Want to secede? No one is keeping you in the US, go the fuck somewhere else where you don't need to worry about the rights of the minority being upheld. Create your Conservatopia where you can outlaw The Pill, gay marriage, and reinstitute the 60 hour work week and let children get back into the coal mines. You can make the taxes low at the federal, state, and local level, that way you won't have to worry about your money being redistributed to pay for pesky things like roads and air traffic control. But please, you need to get the fuck out of this country to do so. If you have enough military might, you may be able to carve a healthy chunk out of Somalia. Get the fuck out!

I think that it will be sufficient to start ignoring conservatives again, like we have for so much of the nation's history. We don't even need for them to tell us their positions on the various problems that we are experiencing. We know what their position is on every question, in a word, it is "no." No change, no progress, no development. God.

It's a free country and anyone can say anything they want to say.

The rest of us are entitled to be properly indignant over a dumb idea that has no support in the general citizenry.

Look at it this way. Say we allow Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama to form their own, new conservative country. That is 6 less Republican senators in congress, as well as a reduction of their majority in the House. With a lot of True Conservatives TM moving to their new Utopia, that would further reduce the base of Republicans in other states. Without the support of the more extremist elements of the party, they might be forced to try an appeal to sane people, or just collapse as a national party. Either way politics would likely become a lot saner.

Plus think of all the entertainment as we watch the utter collapse of Reagan (New Somalia). And the fire works as religious war erupts between different christian sects. It would provide an object lesson for the world.

The rest of us are entitled to be properly indignant over a dumb idea that has no support in the general citizenry.
One thing to note here. It isn't as much what they are saying regarding gay marriage and what not... it is that they want to secede from a country that isn't imposing all the views they want to be imposed.

I noticed this trend rising about 4 years ago, where right-wingers on the radio were starting to say that compromise is betraying your principals. These people don't want to secede the US because they want to expand rights, they want to contract them and hate the system we have that has managed to continually expand the rights of individuals as time has marched on. They want tyranny... and they want to be in control. That isn't a dumb idea, it is an authoritarian one.

One thing to note here. It isn't as much what they are saying regarding gay marriage and what not... it is that they want to secede from a country that isn't imposing all the views they want to be imposed.

I noticed this trend rising about 4 years ago, where right-wingers on the radio were starting to say that compromise is betraying your principals. These people don't want to secede the US because they want to expand rights, they want to contract them and hate the system we have that has managed to continually expand the rights of individuals as time has marched on. They want tyranny... and they want to be in control. That isn't a dumb idea, it is an authoritarian one.

I think you have stretched the use of the plural pronoun, "They".

It's much easier to deal with people who refuse to compromise. They(there's that pronoun, again) are the ones who leave empty handed. The stronger they hold their line, the less they get. Nothing shuts down tyranny faster than giving the tyrant a large audience.

And, speaking as one who has studied the subject and seen the results, up close, succession is a very dumb idea. In this case, it's nothing more than rhetorical hyperbole. These people couldn't control the political agenda in any city, much less a State, or a group of them.

No. I'm speaking about a particular subgroup of people. Not the entire right-wing.

It's much easier to deal with people who refuse to compromise. They(there's that pronoun, again) are the ones who leave empty handed. The stronger they hold their line, the less they get. Nothing shuts down tyranny faster than giving the tyrant a large audience.
Which is why the Democrats are about to lose more seats in the Senate?

And, speaking as one who has studied the subject and seen the results, up close, succession is a very dumb idea. In this case, it's nothing more than rhetorical hyperbole. These people couldn't control the political agenda in any city, much less a State, or a group of them.
I'm less caring about secession as I am the idea that they hate democracy when it doesn't go their way. We had to endure 8 years of W. 8 fucking years. And these assholes are protesting on the street less than 6 months into the Obama Administration because... he is a fucking Democrat.

No. I'm speaking about a particular subgroup of people. Not the entire right-wing.

Which is why the Democrats are about to lose more seats in the Senate?

I'm less caring about secession as I am the idea that they hate democracy when it doesn't go their way. We had to endure 8 years of W. 8 fucking years. And these assholes are protesting on the street less than 6 months into the Obama Administration because... he is a fucking Democrat.

Yes, we endured 8 years of W, and the Republic still stands. It will continue to stand if people like you and me continue to show up on election day and vote. The only way this small group can have any influence is if we give it to them.

Yes, we endured 8 years of W, and the Republic still stands. It will continue to stand if people like you and me continue to show up on election day and vote. The only way this small group can have any influence is if we give it to them.
There are like 10 liberals in all of Congress. About 50 crazy ass muthafuckers representing the secessionists.

Our nation isn't doing well. We are now entering our 15th lost year, where there has been virtually no progress in any important legislation changes: SS, Medicare, Transportation.

There are like 10 liberals in all of Congress. About 50 crazy ass muthafuckers representing the secessionists.

Our nation isn't doing well. We are now entering our 15th lost year, where there has been virtually no progress in any important legislation changes: SS, Medicare, Transportation.

I said something like this a long time ago to an experienced Democratic campaign manager. He told me something I remember, and I'm sure he stole it from someone, but it went like this, "There's been many election nights when I've gone to bed thinking I've cast the last vote for the last Democratic candidate for any office. The next morning, I've always woke up to the sight of the the Democrats chasing Republicans into the tall grass with a hatchet. It's always been like this and it always will be."

Look at it this way. Say we allow Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama to 6 their own, new conservative country. That is 6 less Republican senators in congress, as well as a reduction of their majority in the House. With a lot of True Conservatives TM moving to their new Utopia, that would further reduce 6 of Republicans in other states. Without the support of the more extremist elements of the party, they might be forced to try an appeal to sane people, or just collapse as a national party. Either way politics would likely become a lot saner.

Plus think of all the entertainment as we watch the utter collapse of Reagan (New Somalia). And the fire works as religious war erupts between different christian sects. It would provide an object lesson for the world.

I happen to be concerned about the people who would live there and be in disagreement with the government, and what the consequences would ultimately be simply for them disagreeing. I don't see how it's worth it. Not to mention that, assuming that the country does dissolve, the new leaders would have to inherit the mess, which could have been prevented in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom