• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Author Wants Southern States To Secede Over Gay Rights, Name New Country 'Reagan'

But a walled off cesspool of bigotry and delusional thinking. That's the key. Plus, they'd probably run the place based on some kind of libertarian principles, so the whole area would be dead of starvation in short order and it could be repopulated with a less crazy breeding stock.

More like conservative principles, which anything but the most superficial analysis will show is quite different.

Just because progressives don't like libertarians doesn't mean that conservatives do. They like libertarians even less.

Well, as long as everyone's willing to come together and not like the libertarians, I'm good. At least it makes libertarianism useful for one thing.

Louisiana could survive as a sovereign state on oil royalties and tariffs on international river traffic. We also have a very long memory. The succession thing was tried and no one really wants to relive that experience.

It was tried twice, once in 1776 and once in 1861.
Louisiana wasn't part of the Colonies in 1776. It was purchased in an online fire sale deal at Amazon.fr by President Jefferson... it was called the Louisiana Purchase.

While few recruits have any college and many only GEDs,
Last time i looked, the military really restricted the number of GED recruits they would accept each year. The Air Force only about 1% of enlistments could be GED holders, the highest was the Navy with up to 10%. But
The justification was that school drop outs have been far less likely to finish their enlistment contract than diploma recruits.
I wonder how the 'under represented in the military' households compare with dropout rates?

While few recruits have any college and many only GEDs,
Last time i looked, the military really restricted the number of GED recruits they would accept each year. The Air Force only about 1% of enlistments could be GED holders, the highest was the Navy with up to 10%. But
The justification was that school drop outs have been far less likely to finish their enlistment contract than diploma recruits.
I wonder how the 'under represented in the military' households compare with dropout rates?

Recruitment quotas are completely dependent on projected manpower needs. When the needs are low, they take only the highest qualified. College is preferred over high school and high school is preferred over GED. If they get really desperate, drop outs will be welcomed. A lot of weight is put on aptitude tests, so it's possible for almost anyone to be accepted, but when the quota can be filled with true graduates, why go to the effort of sifting through the dregs?

Recruitment quotas are completely dependent on projected manpower needs. When the needs are low, they take only the highest qualified. College is preferred over high school and high school is preferred over GED. If they get really desperate, drop outs will be welcomed.
As far as i know, that limit isn't one of the variable ones.
They do accept more waivers for drug-related or violence-related legal problems, and lower scores on the ASVAB, but i haven't been able to find any reference for changing the upper limit of GED holders per year during the two wars.

Now, i do realize that the statement was that there are many IN the military with GEDs. It's possible that retention of such individuals is higher. Maybe they have or perceive fewer prospects outside of the service and are more likely to stay in once they are in.

Recruitment quotas are completely dependent on projected manpower needs. When the needs are low, they take only the highest qualified. College is preferred over high school and high school is preferred over GED. If they get really desperate, drop outs will be welcomed. A lot of weight is put on aptitude tests, so it's possible for almost anyone to be accepted, but when the quota can be filled with true graduates, why go to the effort of sifting through the dregs?

Come on now! The Marine recruiters are still down at the courthouse. They need these dropouts to go to Muslim countries to win "hearts and mind" and if not that, to do what thugs generally do. Of course, they will be backed up with other recruits from the arcades flying the drones...and a well organized technical group to keep the domination machine well oiled.

Maybe LA can buy themselves and secede from Reagan...

Louisiana could survive as a sovereign state on oil royalties and tariffs on international river traffic. We also have a very long memory. The succession thing was tried and no one really wants to relive that experience.

I bet they could get Alabama for coupon.

At least they'd get their Jesus in the constitution finally.
Then we just goad them into fighting over which Jesus...

That won't take much. If they finally won and had their way, their little "coalition" wouldn't hold and they'll be fighting each other in no time at all, I'm sure. Hell, they weren't even a voting block before the moral majority thing.

If the Union were to break up again, there are already plans in place to declare the Free State of Bronzeage a sovereign nation. The Free State will encompass most of south Louisiana, Texas up to the outskirts of Houston, and the Gulf Coast as far as Pensacola.

If the Union were to break up again, there are already plans in place to declare the Free State of Bronzeage a sovereign nation. The Free State will encompass most of south Louisiana, Texas up to the outskirts of Houston, and the Gulf Coast as far as Pensacola.

You needn't be a numismatist to know that a bronze sovereign isn't worth very much ;)

The numbers I saw recently showed 93% with H.S. grad or GED across all military. The ones with college are not enlisted but rather mostly ROTC officers. It didn't separate H.S. grad from GED, but I agree that GED is more accepted when needed. However, they have been desperate for more recruits for more than a decade now, and I think the the Army's official goal is to allow up to 15% GED, but since 9/11 the % has been much higher and they even started recruiting dropouts even without a GED. Air Force has the highest standards, in large part because everyone wants to fly, so they can be selective. In addition, there are plenty of kids who just barely graduate high school and have no plan to go to college because school has always been a struggle and have no good job prospects. This is who recruiters prey upon. (BTW, my brother was career military and mostly a recruiter after spinal injury in a plane jump. He told me about how recruiters would brag to each other about the bullshit they could get recruits to believe. He visited home after his first 6 months in the Army which he spent in the South and they had already transformed him into a racist and sexist who said "nigger" and "bitch" every other sentence despite never talking like that before).

The numbers I saw recently showed 93% with H.S. grad or GED across all military. The ones with college are not enlisted but rather mostly ROTC officers. It didn't separate H.S. grad from GED, but I agree that GED is more accepted when needed. However, they have been desperate for more recruits for more than a decade now, and I think the the Army's official goal is to allow up to 15% GED, but since 9/11 the % has been much higher and they even started recruiting dropouts even without a GED. Air Force has the highest standards, in large part because everyone wants to fly, so they can be selective. In addition, there are plenty of kids who just barely graduate high school and have no plan to go to college because school has always been a struggle and have no good job prospects. This is who recruiters prey upon. (BTW, my brother was career military and mostly a recruiter after spinal injury in a plane jump. He told me about how recruiters would brag to each other about the bullshit they could get recruits to believe. He visited home after his first 6 months in the Army which he spent in the South and they had already transformed him into a racist and sexist who said "nigger" and "bitch" every other sentence despite never talking like that before).

As Hank the Fifth said, "Besides, there is no king, be his cause never so spotless, if it come to the arbitrament of swords, can try it out with all unspotted soldiers."

Back
Top Bottom