• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Author Wants Southern States To Secede Over Gay Rights, Name New Country 'Reagan'

I live in the south and I see a different attitude among the young whites. They have been raised going to school with different races and openly gay fellow students. They know that bigotry against both is just that, without any bases in fact. I know that Atlanta isn't representative of the south as a whole, but in the past it has been a bell weather of what the south is becoming.

This'd be borne out by my look at exit polls too. (See tab on Exit Polls here.) It's a little tough to get a handle on the Racial composition of Mississippi's Age groups, but it's obvious that White elderly over 65 outnumber the Black elderly something like 3 to 1 (which is heartbreaking because it's a measure of poor Blacks shorter lifespans) and these old Whites' support of Obama is functionally zero, while the Whites under 30 are something more like 25%-35% for Obama. Allowing for even minimal bigotry among Whites under 30, that's going to cause a sea change pretty fast.

Mississippi also does not have an Atlanta, suburban Georgia is going to be a bit less stark.

I live in the south and I see a different attitude among the young whites. They have been raised going to school with different races and openly gay fellow students. They know that bigotry against both is just that, without any bases in fact. I know that Atlanta isn't representative of the south as a whole, but in the past it has been a bell weather of what the south is becoming.

The same thing is happening in the major cities of Texas. Most of the young people here can recognize prejudice when they encounter it.

I'm cool with them self-deporting themselves to Reagan. I'd also like them to assume the greatest Reagan legacy: the unpaid bill for his military ramp-up. Let's send all of the conservative debt from borrow-and-spend down to Reagan.

I don't know why people are in favor of this. It would just result in an even greater cesspool of bigotry and delusional thinking.

But a walled off cesspool of bigotry and delusional thinking. That's the key. Plus, they'd probably run the place based on some kind of libertarian principles, so the whole area would be dead of starvation in short order and it could be repopulated with a less crazy breeding stock.

More like conservative principles, which anything but the most superficial analysis will show is quite different.

Just because progressives don't like libertarians doesn't mean that conservatives do. They like libertarians even less.

I'm cool with them self-deporting themselves to Reagan. I'd also like them to assume the greatest Reagan legacy: the unpaid bill for his military ramp-up. Let's send all of the conservative debt from borrow-and-spend down to Reagan.
So...instead of seceding, what if we let them buy the south? Pay off X much of the debt to have Georgia, Y much for Louisiana...

So...instead of seceding, what if we let them buy the south? Pay off X much of the debt to have Georgia, Y much for Louisiana...

Louisiana is one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" states.

Louisiana is one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" states.
Maybe LA can buy themselves and secede from Reagan...

Louisiana could survive as a sovereign state on oil royalties and tariffs on international river traffic. We also have a very long memory. The succession thing was tried and no one really wants to relive that experience.

Where would get enough people either stupid or desperate enough to get themselves killed to protect our oil interests?

At least they'd get their Jesus in the constitution finally. That wasn't what the forefathers wanted, and they knew it, and disliked it so much that put that shit right in after the secession.

The Preamble to the Confederate Constitution:
"We, the people of the Confederate States, each state acting in its sovereign and independent character, in order to form a permanent federal government, establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity — invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God — do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Confederate States of America."[1]

If you really want God in your constitution, you have to look no further than the Secession to do so.

Louisiana could survive as a sovereign state on oil royalties and tariffs on international river traffic. We also have a very long memory. The succession thing was tried and no one really wants to relive that experience.
Can't be that good of a memory. They keep voting for the Republican that promises to decrease the size of Government.

p much any recruiting station

Except that significantly more people from the Southern states go the the recruiting station and join. Every Southern state except LA and MS are over-represented in the military.

p much any recruiting station

Except that significantly more people from the Southern states go the the recruiting station and join. Every Southern state except LA and MS are over-represented in the military.

Don't discount the economic factors. There is a strong military tradition in the south, but a regular paycheck and a ticket out of Alabama are very enticing.

It was tried twice, once in 1776 and once in 1861.

Don't discount the economic factors. There is a strong military tradition in the south, but a regular paycheck and a ticket out of Alabama are very enticing.

Yeah, economic factors is what the "desperate" part of my original comment referred to. Although, looking around it seems that it might be somewhat of a myth that the poor are over-represented. While few recruits have any college and many only GEDs, people from below-median income neighborhoods appear to be under-represented in the military. (those charts were "based on" census data but compiled by Heritage Foundation, so I am cautious about them). IOW, it may not be so much kids from disadvantaged economic families and communities as it is kids with more average family circumstances but who still struggled in school, aren't going to college, and have minimal prospects for a good job.

Yeah, economic factors is what the "desperate" part of my original comment referred to. Although, looking around it seems that it might be somewhat of a myth that the poor are over-represented. While few recruits have any college and many only GEDs, people from below-median income neighborhoods appear to be under-represented in the military. (those charts were "based on" census data but compiled by Heritage Foundation, so I am cautious about them). IOW, it may not be so much kids from disadvantaged economic families and communities as it is kids with more average family circumstances but who still struggled in school, aren't going to college, and have minimal prospects for a good job.

It's still an economic factor in the decision. A "military tradition" means that military service is seen as a viable and perhaps desirable career opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom