• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ben Carson links Lucifer to Hillary

Aaw, the Sherriff of Noddingoff thinks Hillary is aligned with The RealTM Lucifer. Isn't that sweet?

Isn't Clinton an atheist? Carson is the one who really believes in Lucifer .

I may have my theology mixed up, but wasn't Lucifer his name when he was still an angel in heaven, and he got the moniker "Satan" after his fall? (And even that's iffy canonical-wise)

I guess my point is - why does Carson use "Lucifer" instead of "devil" or "Satan" or "Beelzebub"

I may have my theology mixed up, but wasn't Lucifer his name when he was still an angel in heaven, and he got the moniker "Satan" after his fall? (And even that's iffy canonical-wise)

I guess my point is - why does Carson use "Lucifer" instead of "devil" or "Satan" or "Beelzebub"

Alinsky used Lucifer. But there is no clear theology about it, it's very vague in the texts.

The origin of the name "Lucifer" is from Isaiah 14:12 which in NASB reads
How you have fallen from heaven,
O [g]star of the morning, son of the dawn!
You have been cut down to the earth,
You who have weakened the nations!

The "Star of the morning son of the dawn" refers to ancient "Helel son of Shahar" or the planet Venus/near eastern deity. As morning star Venus appears very bright at dawn but when the son comes out it is no longer visible. Isaiah likened the fall of king of Babylon to this celestial drama. Christians reinterpreted Helel as Satan and Vulgate (Latin translation of the Bible) translated it as "Lucifer" (meaning light bringer). That name was adopted by the translators of KJV which explains its usage among English speakers.

Satan is also more complicated. It merely means "adversary" and he was originally not even supposed to be adversary of god but rather worked for him, testing people (like in the story of Job, but we also have remnants of it with temptations of Jesus in the wilderness). He becomes the evil anti-god only after the exile when influence of Zoroastrian dualism linked him with Ahriman.

The whole "Satan rebelled and fell from heaven" is not actually found in Bible but is rather result of non-canonical legend mongering.

- - - Updated - - -

Alinsky used Lucifer. But there is no clear theology about it, it's very vague in the texts.
Given his name (Saul) he should have known better!

Saul Alinsky was a community organizer. Mostly helping people living in US slums join together to better their lives. A real evil guy.

Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history (and who is to know where mythology leaves off and history begins or which is which), the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom – Lucifer.

This is just too nuanced for the dope MD.

People can have great memories and great training and great hands and be great surgeons. They also have to have great one on one people skills.

It doesn't necessarily mean they have sophistication and rationality.

As we can see.

Alinsky did not join political parties. When asked during an interview whether he ever considered becoming a Communist party member, he replied:

"Not at any time. I've never joined any organization—not even the ones I've organized myself. I prize my own independence too much. And philosophically, I could never accept any rigid dogma or ideology, whether it's Christianity or Marxism. One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're right.' If you don't have that, if you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated. The greatest crimes in history have been perpetrated by such religious and political and racial fanatics, from the persecutions of the Inquisition on down to Communist purges and Nazi genocide."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Alinsky

Back
Top Bottom