• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ben Carson's West Point Story Fabricated Says Ben Carson.

It really all comes down to debate over the meaning of "offered".

That meaning being "none of us are from West Point admissions and their are no scholarships because there is no tuition"

You should probably have a look at the article I just linked. Where they show West Point recruiting material referring to full scholarships for students.

That meaning being "none of us are from West Point admissions and their are no scholarships because there is no tuition"

You should probably have a look at the article I just linked. Where they show West Point recruiting material referring to full scholarships for students.
But they still did not offer him admission or a scholarship.

He has consistently said he never applied there so it would be odd if they gave him an official offer of anything.

He has consistently said he never applied there so it would be odd if they gave him an official offer of anything.

But he does claim to have turned down their offer and their scholarship to a school he never applied to.

He also claims to have stabbed a man in the belt buckle.

And assisted an armed robber who mistakenly was robbing patrons of a Popeye's organization instead of the cashier.

He also still insists that pyramids are not tombs.

In “Gifted Hands,” Carson says he excelled in his ROTC program at Detroit’s Southwestern High School, earning the respect of his superiors — just a couple years after anger problems led him to try to murder a friend. He attained the rank of second lieutenant by his senior year of high school and became the student leader of the city’s ROTC programs.

In May of his senior year, he was chosen to march in the city’s Memorial Day parade.

“I felt so proud, my chest bursting with ribbons and braids of every kind. To make it more wonderful, we had important visitors that day. Two soldiers who had won the Congressional Medal of Honor in Viet Nam were present,” he wrote. “More exciting to me, General William Westmoreland (very prominent in the Viet Nam war) attended with an impressive entourage. Afterward, Sgt. Hunt” — his high school ROTC director — “introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point.”

He was never offered a full scholarship. It is a lie.

Book #2

Carson’s later retelling of the events in this period of his life downplays his meeting with Westmoreland and that event’s link to a West Point acceptance. In his January 2015 book, “You Have a Brain,” — a book geared toward teenagers — Carson again recalls his rapid rise through his high school ROTC program to become the top student officer in the city.

"That position allowed me the chance to meet four-star general William Westmoreland, who had commanded all American forces in Vietnam before being promoted to Army Chief of Staff at the Pentagon in Washington, D.C.,” he wrote. “I also represented the Junior ROTC at a dinner for Congressional Medal of Honor winners, marched at the front of Detroit’s Memorial Day parade as head of an ROTC contingent, and was offered a full scholarship to West Point.”

He lied in 2 different books about the same non-factual event.

aa

But he does claim to have turned down their offer and their scholarship to a school he never applied to.

And assisted an armed robber who mistakenly was robbing patrons of a Popeye's organization instead of the cashier.

Did you read the article?

He said in his book that he got "offers and enducements" from most of the top colleges in the country but could only afford to apply to Yale.

I don't think, perhaps, when he says "offers and enducements" he means that he applied and received a formal offers because literally in the next sentence, same paragraph he says he never applied these schools.

He said in his book that he got "offers and enducements" from most of the top colleges in the country but could only afford to apply to Yale.

I don't think, perhaps, when he says "offers and enducements" he means that he applied and received a formal offers because literally in the next sentence, same paragraph he says he never applied these schools.

I wonder, within the context of Ben Carson's reality, what "only afford to apply to Yale," means?

I wonder, within the context of Ben Carson's reality, what "only afford to apply to Yale," means?

It's really not that long of an article.

Did YOU read the article? It says:

Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point. I didn’t refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn’t where I saw myself going.

And then:

He reiterated that account last month in an interview with Charlie Rose, when he said, “I was offered a full scholarship at West Point, got to meet General Westmoreland and go to Congressional Medal of Honor dinners. But decided really my pathway would be medicine.”

He was offered no such thing.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598
of Carson applying, much less being extended admission. | AP Photo

Ben Carson’s campaign on Friday admitted, in a response to an inquiry from POLITICO, that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated: his application and acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

The academy has occupied a central place in Carson’s tale for years. According to a story told in Carson’s book, “Gifted Hands,” the then-17 year old was introduced in 1969 to Gen. William Westmoreland, who had just ended his command of U.S. forces in Vietnam, and the two dined together. That meeting, according to Carson’s telling, was followed by a “full scholarship” to the military academy.

West Point, however, has no record of Carson applying, much less being extended admission.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598#ixzz3qjbgvTSz

I've asked a few factual questions that has caused anti-Carsonite discomfort so I was not surprised that most of these questions (with one exception) remained unaddressed. Smelling something fishy, I did a little research; bad news comrades, it turns out its just another over-inflated tiresome drive-by aimed at a leading Republican. So you can add the Politico smear job to the laughable list of other election season farcical left expose's, e.g. : "Rubio has four traffic tickets and a fishing boat"; "Trump does not defend Obama Against Planted Kook"; and the notorious "Rather's Bush Memo Documents Were Fabricated but Rather says They are Still the Truth".

But this headline should actually read: "Carson Admits the Fabricated Politico Smear was Fabricated!" The editor's fabrication starts with the sensationalist headline and sinks in its lead-in claims:

“Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship.”

Ben Carson’s campaign on Friday admitted, in a response to an inquiry from POLITICO, that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated: his application and acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Turns out, he never admitted to fabricating to an application or acceptance into West Point because he never claimed that he applied or that he was accepted. IN FACT, all he said was that at the dinner he was extended an offer of full scholarship. His memoir says, in contrast, that there was ONLY one place he applied to, and it was not West Point.

Caught with their own clumsy fabrication (lie) of the Carson campaign non-"admission", Politico has since backed into a swamp trying to save their sinker. Their revised headline is: "Ben Carson said he got a "full scholarship" to West Point. He never even applied".

Earth to Politico: AGAIN, he never said he applied AND he pointed out that he applied elsewhere. Are these relentless witless 'journalists' a bunch of escaped newsroom zombies from the Walking Dead?

So what REALLY happened? His campaign (and close associates) say that he was invited to dinner, and based on his grades and stellar ROTC performance, he was offered an opportunity to go to college for free; they (Westmoreland, and/or folks from West Point at the dinner) would help him get an appointment based on his record. "He considered it but in the end did not seek admission."

WOW WHAT A STORY!

Last edited:
This story has more on what exactly Carson has said and the flaws in the Politico report.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/960/n...ts-ben-shapiro#.VjzrIHREiFg.twitter#pq=A9pN4u

It really all comes down to debate over the meaning of "offered". There is no evidence he ever said he applied, and in fact several cases where he said he didn't.

You forgot this part:
But, according to records of Westmoreland’s schedule that were provided by the U.S. Army, the general did not visit Detroit around Memorial Day in 1969 or have dinner with Carson. In fact, the general’s records suggest he was in Washington that day and played tennis at 6:45 p.m.

It's really not that long of an article.

Yeah, I read the article. Saying, "I could only afford to apply to Yale," is like saying, I can only only afford the full caret diamond.

No, he was saying that each application cost $10 to submit and he only had $10.

He wasn't talking about the tuition costs.

Yeah, I read the article. Saying, "I could only afford to apply to Yale," is like saying, I can only only afford the full caret diamond.

No, he was saying that each application cost $10 to submit and he only had $10.

He wasn't talking about the tuition costs.

Well then of course he turned down West Point what with all the letter writing and imaginary meetings.

You forgot this part:
But, according to records of Westmoreland’s schedule that were provided by the U.S. Army, the general did not visit Detroit around Memorial Day in 1969 or have dinner with Carson. In fact, the general’s records suggest he was in Washington that day and played tennis at 6:45 p.m.

You forgot this part, in real life who the hell knows what they did on a specific day in 1969? "Memoirs" are not diaries, they are memories and impressions of long ago events...in this case nearly a half century ago. They are not usually "time stamped" and "attendance listed" to the satisfaction of some knave, nearly 50 years hence, who wants to go nuts over the general impressions and recollections of a brief meeting.

Here are some of my life events, of less than precise recollection: shook hands with Agnew, not sure at which function or hotel. Spoke to Charles Kuralt, at some building in Miami, or Miami beach in 1972. Saw Reagan in LA, at some LA hotel on some date prior to 1976 convention. Saw WFBuckley, sometime within a several year period (off and on) at JC. Sometime in the mid 1970s I was offered a probationary status to a grad program at Chico (I didn't have a BA but had good GRE scores). I can't recall the guys name, but I think he was head of the Poly Sci department (or Public Policy). I don't recall the date or exact year.

It does not mean anyone is intentionally lying - folks conflate events and mix up sequences all the time. Their general impressions may be correct, but their specifics might be off. If so, who the heck cares how this nothing-burger went down, other than to smear obessed "gotcha" journalists?

You forgot this part:

You forgot this part, in real life who the hell knows what they did on a specific day in 1969? "Memoirs" are not diaries, they are memories and impressions of long ago events...in this case nearly a half century ago. They are not usually "time stamped" and "attendance listed" to the satisfaction of some knave, nearly 50 years hence, who wants to go nuts over the general impressions and recollections of a brief meeting.

Here are some of my life events, of less than precise recollection: shook hands with Agnew, not sure at which function or hotel. Spoke to Charles Kuralt, at some building in Miami, or Miami beach in 1972. Saw Reagan in LA, at some LA hotel on some date prior to 1976 convention. Saw WFBuckley, sometime within a several year period (off and on) at JC. Sometime in the mid 1970s I was offered a probationary status to a grad program at Chico (I didn't have a BA but had good GRE scores). I can't recall the guys name, but I think he was head of the Poly Sci department (or Public Policy). I don't recall the date or exact year.

It does not mean anyone is intentionally lying - folks conflate events and mix up sequences all the time. Their general impressions may be correct, but their specifics might be off. If so, who the heck cares how this nothing-burger went down, other than to smear obessed "gotcha" journalists?

He doesn't need a memory. He had a staff which kept these records. He wasn't at the event and Carson made a big deal about the fact that this specific person was at this specific event.

It's like if someone was saying that they were dodging sniper fire on a particular day and it turns out that there weren't any snipers in the area on that day. It's just a straight-up lie.

You forgot this part:

No. There is an infinitely different meaning between:

"I had an opportunity to attend west point but didn't pursue it"

and

"I was offered a full scholarship to west point, but turned it down"

17 year old Ben Carson might blur the difference, but 64 year old retired brain surgeon Ben Carson certainly knows the difference between being made an  Offer and Acceptance and how service academies and the military operate and how they don't. Or he has no business running for the position of Commander in Chief.

aa

Back
Top Bottom