• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bernie: I will legalize marijuana nationwide on day one

Dispensary prices are double street prices even before adding in the 40% tax

That's insane. Is it legal to grow? Colorado law allows growing. It places limits on how much (all I memorized about that was a max of 3 plants in flower at a time for each adult) but the limit is ridiculously more than anyone would want/need. One plant in last summer's crop yielded pounds. I was giving away shopping bags of cut buds to friends, and won't grow any more this year. The only reason I'll grow the year after is that it gets... less good after a couple of years. Shop prices are pretty damn low for manicured product - there's labor involved, taxes and a lot of red tape. But it's maybe twice the dollars that similar product cost in the late 60s in the Haight Ashbury district of San Francisco (there were common hundred dollar kilos, and rare hundred dollar ounces).

Jumping the gun in my book.

While I favor legalization there needs to be time for states to set up reasonable regulatory systems.

Has the 6 years Colorado has had it legal for recreational use enough time to see how it can be done right? How about Medical use, since 1996 in California?

I'm not questioning whether it can be done right. I'm saying legalizing on day one is too fast to do it right. Now, if he said "On day one I will sign an executive order that will make marijuana legal at the federal level in 180 days" I would say it was a good thing. Perhaps even 90 days. Not zero days.

While I favor legalization there needs to be time for states to set up reasonable regulatory systems.

Has the 6 years Colorado has had it legal for recreational use enough time to see how it can be done right? How about Medical use, since 1996 in California?

I'm not questioning whether it can be done right. I'm saying legalizing on day one is too fast to do it right. Now, if he said "On day one I will sign an executive order that will make marijuana legal at the federal level in 180 days" I would say it was a good thing. Perhaps even 90 days. Not zero days.

It would decriminalize marijuana at the federal level instantly, but the only states affected by that instantly would be those states that already have legal pot. Changing the schedule of drugs nationally doesn't oblige states to follow suit, there are many existing mismatches. Take, for instance, laws concerning the sale of alcohol, made legal at the federal level by an amendment to the Constitution, but whose sale is regulated and even limited by most states.

"Legalizing nationwide" is a misnomer. It's about federal policy. A president does not have the power to invalidate state pot laws. Certainly not by executive order. But opening pot businesses to the banking system alone would be a huge thing that a president definitely could do.

It would decriminalize marijuana at the federal level instantly, but the only states affected by that instantly would be those states that already have legal pot. Changing the schedule of drugs nationally doesn't oblige states to follow suit, there are many existing mismatches. Take, for instance, laws concerning the sale of alcohol, made legal at the federal level by an amendment to the Constitution, but whose sale is regulated and even limited by most states.

Never mind the states; What about directing the State Department to stop pressuring foreign nations from legalisation or even decriminalisation?

A huge amount of needless harm in the world stems from the USA's ongoing overseas 'war' on drugs - a war which has served to enrich despots, warlords and criminal overlords, while inflicting massive collateral damage on ordinary civilians.

Your country can't even get its own shit together on this issue, so stop trying to dictate how other nations should manage it.

Bernie: I will legalize marijuana nationwide on day one.

He will also reduce the need for it on day one he becomes President.

Never mind the states; What about directing the State Department to stop pressuring foreign nations from legalisation or even decriminalisation?

A huge amount of needless harm in the world stems from the USA's ongoing overseas 'war' on drugs - a war which has served to enrich despots, warlords and criminal overlords, while inflicting massive collateral damage on ordinary civilians.

Your country can't even get its own shit together on this issue, so stop trying to dictate how other nations should manage it.

The War on Drugs isn't really about the drugs... after the Cold War ended, we still needed an excuse to invade other countries in furtherance of our neo-colonial interests, ideally without admitting we were doing so. We mostly use terrorism these days, but that makes more sense in some countries than others. Luckily, cocaine will never be legalized.

It's a despicable world order.

Dispensary prices are double street prices even before adding in the 40% tax

That's insane. Is it legal to grow? Colorado law allows growing. It places limits on how much (all I memorized about that was a max of 3 plants in flower at a time for each adult) but the limit is ridiculously more than anyone would want/need. One plant in last summer's crop yielded pounds. I was giving away shopping bags of cut buds to friends, and won't grow any more this year. The only reason I'll grow the year after is that it gets... less good after a couple of years. Shop prices are pretty damn low for manicured product - there's labor involved, taxes and a lot of red tape. But it's maybe twice the dollars that similar product cost in the late 60s in the Haight Ashbury district of San Francisco (there were common hundred dollar kilos, and rare hundred dollar ounces).

In Illinois it is only legal to grow if you are a medical patient. Home grow was a a big point of contention when putting the law together last year, and they had to drop that provision for recreational in order to get it passed in time for it to take effect on January 1st. It will likely be added back in for recreational in the next year or two. By that time prices should be dropping considerably anyway.

Hey! Don't blame us for the insane policies that our government practices. You have a crazy leader in your country, but I won't blame you for his behavior. :D

Why are y'all still pretending that Sanders can make cannabis legal on day one, when it takes Congress to make it legal?

Hasn't Warren also said she was going to do some things on day one, that would require the support of Congress?

Presidential power has already gotten way out of control! Shouldn't we want to limit it, regardless of who is president?

Besides, even though it's not legal in all states, it's extremely easy to buy just about anywhere. Atlanta decriminalized small amounts a couple of years ago. All you get is a fine if you don't have more than an oz. That's a start. It's usually only the most zealous asshole police who even bother to enforce the law when it comes to cannabis. Users just need to be very cautious, especially when driving.

Oh I see what you mean... well, when every state had rolled out their anti-prohibition bills, it suddenly became legal to grow and possess, as well as sell with a license. Just like a liquor license... There is then a 6 month to 1 year period of time when the government then needs to establish it's licensing system.
So, on "day one" prohibition ends. It's not for several more months until people can find a local pot shop. It's not like the wild west... this has been done before very successfully.

Why are y'all still pretending that Sanders can make cannabis legal on day one, when it takes Congress to make it legal?

Are you sure it takes congress to make it legal? Source?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomang...-states-on-day-one-as-president/#5c1901ba1c16

Forbes had this to say:

The executive branch does have authority under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) to reclassify cannabis without further action from Congress, but the details of the process involve steps by the attorney general and the health and human services secretary—Sanders designees unlikely to be installed on his “first day.” Current law also means that international drug treaties could complicate moves by an administration to deschedule marijuana from the CSA entirely. And, when it comes to enacting legalization in every state, there’s not much a president can do to force the repeal of local criminalization laws.

Sanders also mentioned his intention to swiftly legalize marijuana and take other executive actions at an earlier campaign stop on Saturday afternoon, joking that he would tell his wife on inauguration day that “I’ll be home late, my dear.”

Seems that its too complicated for him to be able to make this happen overnight, but politically his intention to do so still speaks volumes.

Besides, even though it's not legal in all states, it's extremely easy to buy just about anywhere. Atlanta decriminalized small amounts a couple of years ago. All you get is a fine if you don't have more than an oz. That's a start. It's usually only the most zealous asshole police who even bother to enforce the law when it comes to cannabis. Users just need to be very cautious, especially when driving.

They call marijuana a "gateway drug". The actual reason being the need of the consumer to become acquainted with the criminal world in order to obtain it. I think the police still go after that element even in states where it's a misdemeanor to have small amounts. But if you remove them from the marijuana supply chain you remove the easy access they have to push the harder drugs.

I think the police still go after that element even in states where it's a misdemeanor to have small amounts. If you remove them from the marijuana supply chain you remove the easy access they have to push the harder drugs.
Also, a problem cropping up here, the legal stuff is so expensive, the users turn to illegal supplies. But those suppliers are lacing their product with more addictive contaminants. You develop a habit you aren't even aware of.
Also, some of the pollutants react disfavorably with other medications.
Well, if you didn't know there's an opioid in your weed, you can't exactly ask your doc if opioid is right for you.

I think the police still go after that element even in states where it's a misdemeanor to have small amounts. If you remove them from the marijuana supply chain you remove the easy access they have to push the harder drugs.

Also, a problem cropping up here, the legal stuff is so expensive, the users turn to illegal supplies. But those suppliers are lacing their product with more addictive contaminants. You develop a habit you aren't even aware of.
Well, if you didn't know there's an opioid in your weed, you can't exactly ask your doc if opioid is right for you.

Yeah if I was smoking marijuana I'd be really scared about what's in the stuff you buy on the street. I often see local news about someone getting busted for selling weed to someone who OD'd because it was laced with fentanyl, etc.

Yeah if I was smoking marijuana I'd be really scared about what's in the stuff you buy on the street. I often see local news about someone getting busted for selling weed to someone who OD'd because it was laced with fentanyl, etc.

"Buy on the street" does not necessarily mean heading down to a street corner in the seediest part of town to find a random dealer. For many it is more likely to be the case that you are going to a connection that you know and trust. The street supply chain can be a very well known factor, with virtually no risk of the product having been laced. I have never seen a local news story, or even heard word of mouth on the street, that someone was busted for selling weed laced with fentanyl that caused someone to OD. The news stories that I see along those lines are with regard to heroin users, and that drug having been cut with fentanyl.

"Buy on the street" does not necessarily mean heading down to a street corner in the seediest part of town to find a random dealer. For many it is more likely to be the case that you are going to a connection that you know and trust. The street supply chain can be a very well known factor, with virtually no risk of the product having been laced. I have never seen a local news story, or even heard word of mouth on the street, that someone was busted for selling weed laced with fentanyl that caused someone to OD. The news stories that I see along those lines are with regard to heroin users, and that drug having been cut with fentanyl.

You may be right. I looked for the report and it involved the sale of cocaine laced with fentanyl. But given what might be out there I'd have a hard time trusting today's supply chain. But that's just me. I'm taking certain chances with my BP meds too. But with that it's not as if I can just say no.

You may be right. I looked for the report and it involved the sale of cocaine laced with fentanyl. But given what might be out there I'd have a hard time trusting today's supply chain. But that's just me. I'm taking certain chances with my BP meds too. But with that it's not as if I can just say no.

I can only speak from personal experience, but for me the current street supply chain is a known factor, and originates from growers in the legal market in another State. I trust it as well as I trust the horrendously expensive legal supply chain here. Of course it hasn't always been that way, but I can't remember a time when I was dealing with a connection with whom I did not at least have a passing acquaintance previously. In the 40 years I have been smoking, I have only encountered laced product once, and that was from a joint passed to me at a concert, it was laced with cocaine and I could tell immediately. Noticing on the first hit might not have helped if it had been fentanyl, but then again that was also in the '80s, and I don't think fentanyl was around then.

Back
Top Bottom