• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Best acting in a movie?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
WashPo had an article on Marlon Brando, a notable actor who played Superman's father. And apparently other things. I've always thought Brando was a good actor, but in Streetcar Named Desire, Guys and Dolls, On the Waterfront, I see the same guy.
I see James Cagney in Mister Roberts, 1-2-3, Yankee Doodle Dandy, same actor, but different faces on the screen. So then I was wondering, who had the best go at it on the screen in a single film. It took me a little thinking, but Peter Sellers came to mind for Dr. Strangelove. Being There is often credited as his tops (maybe because it was his last serious one), but to me Dr. Strangelove has this guy playing three roles convincingly. It wasn't a tour de force job, but he played three of the main roles and physically provided you with almost no indication that he is doing all three, he fits them so well.

Denzel Washington in Training Day is another one of my favorites. He is unshackled and just owns it.

Jodie Foster in Contact would be another one.

There is an excellent 2017 movie called 'What Happened to Monday'. It star Noomi Rapace, and she plays seven sisters who are septuplets, and does a superb job of making each of them distinct personalities.

Peter O’Toole in ‘Lawrence of Arabia’. A noted stage actor, his prior film experience consisted of a few TV episodes and a couple of bit parts in movies. But he dominated one of the great epics of the 20th century, even though it was packed with famous actors.

Peter O’Toole in ‘Lawrence of Arabia’. A noted stage actor, his prior film experience consisted of a few TV episodes and a couple of bit parts in movies. But he dominated one of the great epics of the 20th century, even though it was packed with famous actors.
He was extremely good in 'Night of the Generals' as well. Of course, he was a great actor, and very good in many roles.

He was extremely good in 'Night of the Generals' as well. Of course, he was a great actor, and very good in many roles.
Eight Oscar nominations for Best Actor. Shockingly, no wins.

I'm still uncertain if he acted well in The Lion in Winter (a definite recommendation for that film). I can't decide if he is awesome or overacted the hell out of it. He did as Hepburn, so maybe perfect then?

I thought he won for Lawrence of Arabia. Stiff competition with Lemmon in Days of Wine and Roses and Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Two of the finest pieces of acting that I've seen come from actors who are generally not regarded as being among the greats. That would include George Clooney, in the Descendants, when he is told that it is time to take his wife off of life support. And the other, even more unexpected, is James Garner, in The Notebook, near the end of the film, all of his scenes with Gena Rowlins, who also was superb. I doubt that anyone here has seen either film or regards them well enough to note the virtuosity of either actor's performance. Certainly both actors are/were very handsome men with a very engaging screen presence, whose usual persona is that of a charming fuck up, who really only hurts himself. Neither is true of the characters they play in either film. I dare anyone to watch them in the scenes described and not to feel a tear in their eyes.

Also Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black where she plays multiple clones with distinct personas and personalities) and of course Eddie Murphy in really everything but how about The Nutty Professor? Keri Russell is stunning as is Viola Davis in anything she puts her hand to.

George C. Scott playing two very different generals in ‘Dr. Strangelove’ and ‘Patton’.

Is Val Kilmer an underrated actor? I’ve only seen him in a few movies but he was really good in Top Gun and exceptional in Tombstone. Kurt Russell is also really good in Tombstone and is good in other movies such as Overboard, 3,000 Miles to Graceland.

Is Val Kilmer an underrated actor? I’ve only seen him in a few movies but he was really good in Top Gun and exceptional in Tombstone. Kurt Russell is also really good in Tombstone and is good in other movies such as Overboard, 3,000 Miles to Graceland.
And Val Kilmer in Heat, one of the best heist movies.

I like Edward Norton. I'm not familiar with all that he has done. Some of it just doesn't appeal to me. He was outstanding In American History X and showed what I thought was good versatility in The Score. Initially, I didn't recognize him in The Score.

And then of course the great Mike Myers.
Austin Powers.jpg

Barney Rubble - greatest actor of all time.
Never missed a line, never a second take.

Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I knew a kid who was EXACTLY like Arnie when I was a kid. All the same hyper-ness and most of the same little quirks. DiCaprio so entirely embodied that, down to the tiniest details (like blinking out of sequence a couple times, for one example), it was hard to believe it was acting instead of real.

I later heard Daniel Day Lewis make the same comment -- he too was unfamiliar with DiCaprio when he saw the movie and thought they'd hired a kid who'd fit the role because it seemed too precise and real to be someone acting a part.

Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I knew a kid who was EXACTLY like Arnie when I was a kid. All the same hyper-ness and most of the same little quirks. DiCaprio so entirely embodied that, down to the tiniest details (like blinking out of sequence a couple times, for one example), it was hard to believe it was acting instead of real.

I later heard Daniel Day Lewis make the same comment -- he too was unfamiliar with DiCaprio when he saw the movie and thought they'd hired a kid who'd fit the role because it seemed too precise and real to be someone acting a part.
DiCaprio in Django Unchained. The scene where he confronts Django and Doctor Schultz over their scheme. DiCaprio pounds the table, breaking a glass and cutting the shit out of his hand. He never misses a beat and finishes the scene, incorporating his own blood smearing it on the slave woman.That's dedication to the craft (cliche ;)).

DiCaprio in Django Unchained. The scene where he confronts Django and Doctor Schultz over their scheme. DiCaprio pounds the table, breaking a glass and cutting the shit out of his hand. He never misses a beat and finishes the scene, incorporating his own blood smearing it on the slave woman.That's dedication to the craft (cliche ;)).
I didn't see the movie, but I recall reading that the cutting of his hand was not planned, but it happened for real and he just rolled with it.

I liked Kate Winslet in ‘The Dressmaker’, it was a departure from her romcom roles.

Hugo Weaving! C’Mon - a drag queen in Priscilla and the evil dude from the Matrix?

One of the my all time favorite movies is the comedic drama, "The Apartment" starring Jack Lemmon. I also loved Lemmon in "The Odd Couple", "How to Murder your Wife", "Some like it Hot" and lots of others. I just can't remember the names or which ones were my other favorites because I'm old. Lemmon won many awards and could do drama or comedy extremely well.

"Days of Wine and Roses" was pretty good too, from what I remember. Sad, but well acted. I haven't seen that one in many years. Oh wait.. "Glen Garry, Glen Ross" was excellent as well and Alex Baldwin played a great asshole, which is what he's always been good at.

I haven't watched a new movie since around 2000, so all of my favs are going to be old school.

I didn't see the movie, but I recall reading that the cutting of his hand was not planned, but it happened for real and he just rolled with it.
Good movie. Well worth a watch.

Back
Top Bottom