• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden still 1000x better than Trump or any other GOP, people are saying

I was thinking FIFO. And note that most drugs actually have a substantially longer shelf life
Having spent YEARS creating, implementing and operating a FIFO operation involving fewer than a thousand products, I can tell you that the logistics and handling of differing shelf lives, rates of degradation and “lost motion” due to the need to physically move things numerous times, are overwhelming. I can’t even imagine the requirements with tens of thousands of products - many needing different storage conditions - with lives hanging in the balance. Do you treat a drug that will degrade into a toxic substance differently from one that simply loses efficacy? Do we even know that about all of them? I don’t think the intractability of this problem can be overestimated.

FIFO sounds so simple and elegant as a foolproof solution.

IT’S NOT. It’s expensive and prone to error - deadly error, in many drugs’ cases.
FIFO would be a big mess without a computer.

With a computer it's a bunch of boxes with barcodes, go get the right box. The whole thing perfectly well could be automated although that would take more space. All boxes are of uniform size (they may actually not be full if it's a low-demand product) and on shelves they fit. A fairly simple robotic grabber moves to the right position, checks the barcode and uses a camera for fine positioning to grab the box.

Think of how airport luggage systems actually work behind the scene--everything goes in bins, routing the bins to the right plane or the right baggage carousel is completely automatic. Same thing, but there are storage shelves. In the long run I expect it would save money.
Perhaps not even take up more space. With "chaotic storage", the robot stores product where they fit and it of course has a constantly updated map running so it know where to place a box sized X and remembers where to go get it.

I've seen an automated pharmacy twenty years ago at a navy shore facility. To my knowledge, they've not been embraced beyond the hospital level.
More space because you want to avoid stacking boxes. Everything needs a shelf to be on.

And without close to uniform box sizes you would eventually end up with the same problem we have with computer memory--it becomes full of small fragments that are useless. I think your experience with them not going beyond the hospital level makes sense--I've never seen a retail pharmacy where such a system would be worthwhile.

And note that you can do the same thing even without the robot. You scan a box in, the computer tells you where to put it. You want a box, the computer tells you where to go get it--put a blinky light on each space, the end of each shelf and the top of each rack. Simply go where it says.

FIFO would be a big mess without a computer.
It’s a big mess WITH a computer.
Stuff doesn’t just “go” in a box, it has to be put there. One thing ends up in the wrong box because of a misread barcode, a data entry error or a software glitch, and someone (or more) dies. Or nobody dies but your audit shows one too many of this and one short on that, and tens or hundreds of hours go into chasing down the error while every movement of both products is halted. With FIFO, multiple locations have to be assigned to every SKU, and they have to be secured and inspected continuously….
It’s a mess.
It has to be put there anyway. Once to place, once to retrieve.

Or, if you want to be old school: Conveyor belt--moves at a crawl so you can put a stack of boxes on it. Load from one end, ship from the other.

Once to place, once to retrieve.
Oh if only that was the case!
If every drug had the same shelf life, rate of consumption and single mfr, that would still be a VAST oversimplification of the systems legally required to be instituted by every entity along the supply chain. It’s not like selling Girl Scout cookies and having to rotate the boxes that have been out on the table back to the carton when the sun starts heating them up.
You have obviously never had to confront the realities of government mandated FIFO systems, esp when something “goes wrong”. Think it through, Loren. It is not hard to understand why FIFO is actually an ideal to strive for rather than some kind of self regulating mechanical operation.

Once to place, once to retrieve.
Oh if only that was the case!
If every drug had the same shelf life, rate of consumption and single mfr, that would still be a VAST oversimplification of the systems legally required to be instituted by every entity along the supply chain. It’s not like selling Girl Scout cookies and having to rotate the boxes that have been out on the table back to the carton when the sun starts heating them up.
You have obviously never had to confront the realities of government mandated FIFO systems, esp when something “goes wrong”. Think it through, Loren. It is not hard to understand why FIFO is actually an ideal to strive for rather than some kind of self regulating mechanical operation.
I haven't worked with government-mandated stuff but I have worked with tracking stuff around a factory. Barcode everything. Most stations understand simply scanning a barcode and correctly associate it with a job, warning you if that means you're leaving the previous one incomplete.

I have worked with tracking stuff around a factory. Barcode everything.

Sounds pretty straightforward. But that bears little resemblance to what the fed - and sheer logistics - demand.
I don't know what the fed demands, I'm looking at it from what would be needed to make it work. And our experience was that so long as we were close enough barcode/scan was more reliable than any human handling. (It did prove somewhat unreliable when using a fixed scanner looking down on a belt with a huge range of sizes of objects on it--the scanner never stopped it's belt in error but objects got past it without being logged.) Until you saturate your database there should be no problem--and it's a situation conductive to sharding the database. Use a 2D code that not only contains the tracking number but the item description as a backup.

Remember how people from Trump administration were withholding information from the Orange?
Well, well, well. Same happens with Biden now, it was reported. So much for an adult in the room administration :)

Remember how people from Trump administration were withholding information from the Orange?
Well, well, well. Same happens with Biden now, it was reported. So much for an adult in the room administration :)
What the actual fuck are you talking about??? Who reported what? Was it a clerk in the Social Security office in Peoria who pissed on the toilet seat that was withheld???

Last edited:
What the actual fuck are you talking about???
There are efforts on EVERY front to try to equivocate Trump's myriad glaring weaknesses with some made-up qualities of Biden's.
It's like the fake impeachment thing - Trump tells Johnson and all his mini-johnsons "I was impeached so you gotta impeach Biden, I don't care if there's nothing to impeach him for, just impeach him. Or just start an inquiry based on random allegations and I will impeach him in the press!"
In that same spirit, the fact that Trump couldn't be trusted by his own "best people" must be countered with the stupid and obvious falsehood "Same for Biden!"

The face of desperation has never been uglier, and all the makeup in the world won't make it look good on babs.

In that same spirit, the fact that Trump couldn't be trusted by his own "best people" must be countered with the stupid and obvious falsehood "Same for Biden!"

The face of desperation has never been uglier, and all the makeup in the world won't make it look good on babs.

So to play devil's advocate for a moment, let's say the completely made-up rumors are true and "Sleepy Joe" isn't as sharp as he used to be. Not dementia or anything, just the fact that an 80 year old man's neurons aren't firing as fast as they once were. The aides have a complex piece of intel and they don't show him the raw data and instead provide a quick summary. That's understandable. Is it a threat to national security? Not really...he's getting the info, is still in charge, but just has younger and sharper people handling the details.

That's a long, long way off from aides holding back intel from Trump because it was painfully obvious he'd do something stupid with it like...oh...I dunno...waving nuclear attack plans around in front of random people like they were a "dad of the year" certificate. Or worse, showing them off to Russian agents in a closed door meeting with no "adults in the room" present.

I don't worry that Biden would - even if he were in a diminished state - suddenly blurt out "why yes, Mr. Kalashnikov, we DO have an agent in the Kremlin, he's a diplomatic attache', and you never knew! Joke's on you, buddy!"

People saying Brandon is a 1,000 times better, mmm?

Brandon’s approval rating is down the shitter right across the board, particularly with independents so it must be the hardcore Brandon supporters that think that.

Let’s Go Brandon!!

Brandon’s approval rating is down the shitter right across the board, particularly with independents so it must be the hardcore Brandon supporters that think that.

Let’s Go Brandon!!
Oh noes! The polls that only contact people who still have landlines or still answer "unknown caller" are saying Biden's approval rating is down? All I've got to say to that is person man woman camera tv.

Also, and I know you struggle with this, perception is not reality. Regardless of what the polls say, Dark Brandon is still objectively 1000 times better than grown up Joffrey who only promises to be King for a Day.

person man woman camera tv.
Bzzzzt! So close. The correct order was person, woman, man, camera, tv.
Thanks for playing and don't forget to pick up your own complimentary autographed copy of Steve Bannon's manifesto on your way out!

person man woman camera tv.
Bzzzzt! So close. The correct order was person, woman, man, camera, tv.
Thanks for playing and don't forget to pick up your own complimentary autographed copy of Steve Bannon's manifesto on your way out!
Fuck! I'm so embarrassed! I guess I have to give my red baseball cap to TSwizzle now.

Let’s Go Brandon!!
Know what Trump's approval rating was at this time in the only episode of him winning? 2016?

I'm not sure that there's a rating that low.
Tom

What’s most hilarious is that literally no-one said this but me, and I created the thread using the canard “people are saying” totally ironically.

So to have you answer it as if it were Truth and there was any citation or backup at all for the “people are saying” is quite entertaining!

I’ll just sit over here in the corner, chuckling at the irony of that.

I created the thread using the canard “people are saying®” totally ironically illegally!
FIFY - treading on Cheato's trademarks is a perilous business. Maybe you didn't know, but he is one litigious sunumabich.

Let’s Go Brandon!!
What’s most hilarious is that literally no-one said this but me, and I created the thread using the canard “people are saying” totally ironically.

So to have you answer it as if it were Truth and there was any citation or backup at all for the “people are saying” is quite entertaining!

I’ll just sit over here in the corner, chuckling at the irony of that.

Oh my gosh, it was satire! Of course it was. Your clever trap has fooled me, shame on me. My goodness, you must be smarter than Hunter Biden!!

Chuckle away, love. It bothers me not.

Naw, not satire. I was just sick and tired of all the negative “people are saying” threads, so I felt like having a postive “people are saying” thread.

And while both of us are definitely smarter than Hunter Biden, I wasn’t placing a trap or trying to fool anyone. I guess I thought the humor was obvious. And then when you answered the way you did, it just made me chuckle a bit, is all.

I think of you as pretty savvy, despite not agreeing with some of the things you espouse.

It simply seemed a play on memes when you responded with poll data to refute my ”claim,” and caused amusement.

Back
Top Bottom