• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden's executive orders on Day 1

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/20/us/biden-executive-orders.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

The moves aim to strengthen protections for young immigrants, end construction of President Donald J. Trump’s border wall, end a travel ban and prioritize racial equity.

With an executive order, Mr. Biden has bolstered the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program that protects from deportation immigrants brought to the United States as children, often called Dreamers. Mr. Trump sought for years to end the program, known as DACA. The order also calls on Congress to enact legislation providing permanent status and a path to citizenship for those immigrants.

Another executive order revokes the Trump administration’s plan to exclude noncitizens from the census count, and another overturns a Trump executive order that pushed aggressive efforts to find and deport unauthorized immigrants. Yet another order blocks the deportation of Liberians who have been living in the United States.

In a blow to one of his predecessor’s earliest actions to limit immigration, Mr. Biden has also ended the so-called Muslim ban, which blocked travel to the United States from several predominantly Muslim and African countries. Mr. Biden has directed the State Department to restart visa processing for individuals from the affected countries and to develop ways to address the harm caused to those who were prevented from coming to the United States because of the ban.

Mr. Biden has also halted construction of Mr. Trump’s border wall with Mexico. The order includes an “immediate termination” of the national emergency declaration that allowed the Trump administration to redirect billions of dollars to the wall. It says the administration will begin “a close review” of the legality of the effort to divert federal money to fund the wall.

Chief among executive orders that begin to tackle the issue of climate change, Mr. Biden has signed a letter to re-enter the United States in the Paris climate accords, which it will officially rejoin 30 days from now. In 2019, Mr. Trump formally notified the United Nations that the United States would withdraw from the coalition of nearly 200 countries working to move away from planet-warming fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas.

The president designated Susan E. Rice, who is the head of his Domestic Policy Council, as the leader of a “robust, interagency” effort requiring all federal agencies to make “rooting out systemic racism” central to their work. His order directs the agencies to review and report on equity in their ranks within 200 days, including a plan on how to remove barriers to opportunities in policies and programs. The order also moves to ensure that Americans of all backgrounds have equal access to federal government resources, benefits and services. It starts a data working group as well as the study of new methods to measure and assess federal equity and diversity efforts.

Another executive order reinforces Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to require that the federal government does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, a policy that reverses action by Mr. Trump’s administration.

The others include a moratorium on evictions and mortgage foreclosures at least until the end of March as well as a moratorium on federal student loans until the end of September.

He's also reversing the orders by Trump that involved environmental protections and stopped the construction of the Keystone oil pipeline.

I might have missed a couple, but all in all, it looks like he's off to a good start. Progressives and moderates should be pleased with all or most of these orders.

Can we stop talking about Trump now in the presidential section? :)

Can we stop talking about Trump now in the presidential section?

Totally this.

Biden wasn't anywhere close to my ideal replacement for Trump. But he'll do.

Hey Biden. Kick some ass!

Don't Obama us. None of that bipartisanship or unity crap. Call on Godzillary to help you stomp McConnell and Cruz and such down to the bottom of the Swamp where they choke on their own lies and corruption.

You've got Merrick Garland to help. JUST DO IT
Tom

Totally this.

Don't Obama us. None of that bipartisanship or unity crap. Call on Godzillary to help you stomp McConnell and Cruz and such down to the bottom of the Swamp where they choke on their own lies and corruption.

Tom

Biden ran as a moderate, but his executive orders are anything but. Killing Keystone XL, which is almost finished, for purely political reasons, is not a good move.
Neither is blocking deportations of illegals.

Totally this.

Tom

Biden ran as a moderate, but his executive orders are anything but. Killing Keystone XL, which is almost finished, for purely political reasons, is not a good move.

Trump ran as a Christian Conservative, but he was anything but.

Sorry to be the one to explain this to you, but people who want power say whatever gets them power. Biden has it. Trump does not. Biden can do whatever he thinks right. Just like Trump did.

Biden won and Trump lost.
Again.
Tom

It will be interesting to see what Susan Rice's report on "rooting out systemic racism" comes up with. Aren't women and non-whites given preference on certain Federal programs over white males? Who wants to bet that this won't be recognized as systemic racism and sexism against whites and men?

I hoping he does something for the non-citizen members of the military who agreed to trade service for a shot a citizenship who were subsequently screwed by Bonespurs and deported anyway. One of the shitiest of his non-criminal actions.

I hoping he does something for the non-citizen members of the military who agreed to trade service for a shot a citizenship who were subsequently screwed by Bonespurs and deported anyway. One of the shitiest of his non-criminal actions.

I imagine everyone sho wanted to run in 2020 has a file. Day by day, everything Trump did. Every exec order, deal, pronouncement, assignment. Indexed by priority, overturn on Day 1, overturn 1st 100 days, overturn on the Feast of Saint Anthrax, introduce legislation to overturn before midterms, overturn after the impeachment conviction vote....

Totally this.

Tom

"BAWWW, he's making sure our air and water stay clean and healthy!"

"BAWWW, he's not being illegally and genocidally mean mean to brown people !"

Totally this.

Tom

Nah, they're just moves you don't like. Better get used to it.

What I'm used to: being in the most unstable country in the West.
Bush II >>> Obama >>> Trump >>> Biden
What's wrong with this picture? Nothing if you're manic depressive.
Should we pay for government counseling from Somalia? They may know something we don't. (Based on 2 weeks ago, their pirates are much better trained than ours.)

Totally this.

Tom

Whoops. Maybe next time they shouldn't vote against their economic interests.

EsYBoihVoAAYAAF

EsYBoewVoAAs6pZ

On the other hand, the environment is important and climate change is an issue, but you wouldn't care about that, would you?

On the other hand, the environment is important and climate change is an issue, but you wouldn't care about that, would you?

And on the other hand, people will lose their jobs and their families will go hungry. But you wouldn't care about that, would you? Fuck the plebs, right? And energy costs will go up. But fuck you if you don't make enough money to pay your bill.

And on the other hand, people will lose their jobs and their families will go hungry. But you wouldn't care about that, would you? Fuck the plebs, right? And energy costs will go up. But fuck you if you don't make enough money to pay your bill.

On the other hand, millions of people will also lose their jobs and livelihoods in the future if nothing is done to mitigate climate change, but you wouldn't care about that, would you? Just like how you didn't give a shit when hundreds of thousands of people were dying from the ongoing pandemic. And by the way, I bet some of those people who died were union workers. I guess you don't care about union workers after all.

There's no reason for people to lose their jobs. By concentrating on fuels that come from solar, wind, and nuclear, for example, jobs will be created in great numbers. And, btw, we need a lot of new plumbers, electricians, mechanics, etc. as my generation retires from this type of skilled labor.

We need all kinds of healthcare workers, including certified nurses aides, lab techs and others who can be trained within months. What is needed is the opportunity to be trained and educated in the job areas that are most in demand. People can be offered paid training by the industries that create these jobs or schooling can be subsidized by the government. For that matter, why not start offering vocational training in secondary schools, like we did in the distant past? Many of the most needed positions don't require a BS, or even an AD. Many require months to a year of education or training. There is no reason to claim that Biden's orders, most of which were just reversing Trump's harmful, EOs, will cause massive job losses.

I'm calling bullshit on the claim that switching away from fossil fuels is going to cause massive job losses. Jobs always become obsolete as society progresses. It's time to move on. Be creative. There will be many opportunities in the future. Don't be stuck in the past.

I think they should hold off on cancelling their endorsement for the Biden administration. If AOC's Green New Deal becomes a reality, we will be completely remodeling and/or rebuilding all structures in the US with the latest energy efficient features. So, lots of "cha ching" there for the builders. Probably not good news for the garbage disposal industry though. Being noisy and scary and all.

Bingo!

I'm calling bullshit on the claim that switching away from fossil fuels is going to cause massive job losses. Jobs always become obsolete as society progresses. It's time to move on. Be creative. There will be many opportunities in the future. Don't be stuck in the past.

One part of the reason that sustainable energy will be more expensive is that it's more labor intensive. Somebody has to build those solar panels. Somebody has to maintain those windmills.
Etc Etc

Labor intensive is another term for job creation.

Tom

If we never wanted anyone to lose jobs we would never progress. Didn’t anyone care about the blacksmiths? Didn’t anyone care about the horse breeders?

I bet Trausti is equally upset by the amount of coal mining, horse and buggy maintenance, fax machine repair and leech farming jobs that have been lost over the years as well.

Back
Top Bottom