• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden's executive orders on Day 1

Yeah. I asked my milkman about that. He compared it to all of the Woolworths and most of the K-Marts disappearing, but not the retail job market. My iceman agreed.

I bet Trausti is equally upset by the amount of coal mining, horse and buggy maintenance, fax machine repair and leech farming jobs that have been lost over the years as well.

This comparison is just wrong. Those changes were due to market forces and innovation, not government edict. Biden and the Democrats have announced that working-class people don't matter. (Which is probably why they didn't give a shit when small businesses were destroyed during the summer of George.) A lot of buyer's remorse. Just hope people remember this in 2022 and 2024.

EsXwuUVW8AkLA53

Biden’s pause on oil cause for big concern in New Mexico

President Joe Biden’s 60-day moratorium on new oil and natural gas leases and drilling permits is prompting widespread concerns in New Mexico, where spending on education and other public programs hinges on the industry’s success.

EscWg_WVkAY-WB6

I bet Trausti is equally upset by the amount of coal mining, horse and buggy maintenance, fax machine repair and leech farming jobs that have been lost over the years as well.

This comparison is just wrong. Those changes were due to market forces and innovation, not government edict.

So you can spot a false equivalence and know that an appropriate comparison would need to take account of the nuances of the context?

Biden is such a fucking dumpster fire.

I know, right? What an incompetent boob for not fixing all of Trump's colossal fuckups within 4 microseconds.

In 4 microseconds he raised the price of insulin, put biological males in girls' sport, and eliminated 70,000 jobs. Well done!

Don't forget that because he hasn't fixed the pandemic, 400,000 Americans are now dead. Thanks Biden.

And I lost my fucking car keys this morning. That's also Biden's fault.

There is no evidence that Biden ending the Keystone Pipeline is going to cause a lot of job losses. In the first place most of those job losses were temporary, plus the number of actual jobs lost has only been estimated.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jan/21/facebook-posts/how-bidens-executive-order-halting-keystone-xl-pip/

On Jan. 20, Biden signed an order that revoked the permit for the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline. In a Facebook post published the same day, one user said the move would cost thousands of jobs.

"By revoking the Keystone pipeline permit, Biden is destroying 11,000 jobs and roughly $2 billion in wages," the post says. "Democrats couldn’t even get through Day 1 without killing jobs for middle class Americans."

The post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. (Read more about our partnership with Facebook.)

TC Energy Corp., the Canadian company that owns the Keystone XL pipeline with the Alberta government, has said more than 1,000 people are out of work because of Biden’s executive order. The 11,000 and $2 billion figures cited in the Facebook post are estimates published by the company, but most of the jobs would be temporary.

We reached out to the user who published the post for their evidence, but we didn’t hear back.

Before Biden signed his executive order, only a 1.2-mile section of the pipeline had been completed in Montana near the U.S.-Canada border.

TC Energy said more than 1,000 people are out of work because of Biden’s executive order. In October, the company said it expected to employ more than 11,000 Americans in 2021 and generate more than $1.6 in gross wages.

But both TC Energy and the State Department have said the majority of those jobs would be temporary. A 2014 report found that the company would need only 50 employees to maintain the Keystone XL pipeline once it’s finished, 35 of them permanent.

Temporary jobs are still jobs. But this post could leave the wrong impression without full context. We rate it Half True.

So, it doesn't appear as if 11000 jobs will be lost due the order to shut down the pipeline project. I have no doubt that there will be other job opportunities in other areas related to energy or infrastructure etc. Plus, I think any thoughtful person realizes that a healthy environment, which includes protecting wildlife is more important than some temporary jobs. Hundreds of thousands of jobs have been lost almost every week lately due to Trump's mismanagement of the pandemic, but some poorly informed people are whining about some mostly temporary jobs that will be lost due to one of Biden's executive orders. Spare me your fake concern.

Biden has inherited a mess. It's going to take some time to turn things around. No president in my lifetime has ever been as incompetent or corrupt as Trump, and yet some of you are worried about Biden's first week on the job. :rolleyes:

Wake the fuck up. Things change. We don't have chimney sweepers or horse and buggy drivers anymore either. There will likely come a time when coal miners and those who work on oil rigs will no longer be necessary. It's called progress.

Plus, I am highly skeptical that certain posters here even give a shit about union workers or any average hourly worker for that matter. If they did, they'd support raising the minimum wage so that the government doesn't have to help support so many low paid workers with programs like SNAP, subsidized housing, and the EIC.

In 4 microseconds he raised the price of insulin, put biological males in girls' sport, and eliminated 70,000 jobs. Well done!

Meanwhile, in this month's issue of right wing soap opera digest...

No shit. Rumpsuckers have raised their mendacity level to epic new levels, trying to lever Biden into the universe of corruption that is otherwise fully occupied by the bloated orange traitor, his enablers and his idiot followers.

Can we stop talking about Trump now in the presidential section? :)

Wouldn't that just mean we should get rid of the "presidential section" all together, since it was created in the Summer of 2016 mostly to deal with all the news related to Trump, much of it from his daily tweeting?

Hopefully, once as much of Trump's damage as can be is undone, we'll return to a time where we don't hear anything from or about the president for days.

Biden is such a fucking dumpster fire.

I know, right? What an incompetent boob for not fixing all of Trump's colossal fuckups within 4 microseconds.

How does freezing prices raise the price of insulin?

And 70,000 jobs? :D

We’ve seen several similar posts offer other figures for how many jobs were lost as a result of Biden’s executive order, ranging from 12,000 to 83,000. So we wanted to take a closer look.

TC Energy Corp., the Canadian company that owns the Keystone XL pipeline with the Alberta government, has said more than 1,000 people are out of work because of Biden’s executive order. The 11,000 and $2 billion figures cited in the Facebook post are estimates published by the company, but most of the jobs would be temporary.

In the report, the agency wrote that 10,400 estimated positions would be for seasonal construction work lasting four to eight-month periods. Since the State Department defines "job" as "one position that is filled for 1 year," that would equate to approximately 3,900 jobs over a two-year period.

In short: Most of the estimated jobs were temporary.

The State Department forecasted that no more than 50 jobs, some of which could be located in Canada, would be required to maintain the pipeline. Thirty-five of them would be permanent, while 15 would be temporary contractors.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/politics/politifact/2021/01/22/keystone-pipeline-jobs-lost-joe-biden-executive-order-cancel-fact-check/6673822002/

Can we stop talking about Trump now in the presidential section? :)

Probably not, the news loves Trump. On the airwaves, they've been heavily stressing that these were "anti-Trump" executive orders, even though that really only describes about nine of them fairly. They will never let us forget the orange menace while his headlines are still making them $$$. They got him elected, they got him impeached (twice), and they will volunteer to constantly transmit his opinions to us in the absence of his former social media accounts.

If we never wanted anyone to lose jobs we would never progress. Didn’t anyone care about the blacksmiths? Didn’t anyone care about the horse breeders?
Don't forget the knitters and lace workers; that one led to a straight up civil uprising, and gave us the term Luddite.

I will bet a brand new Trump Chia Pet that he skates away from Imp. II, simply because you won't find 17 Senate Repubs to man (or woman) up and do the sin-eating it would take to admit that their hero is a criminal and that with the party's help he waged war on democracy. It is STILL important to lay out the facts (although Zeus, John the Baptist and Kung Fu Panda all know that much, much more will seep out of the big leaky diaper of Trumpism as time advances.)

Agreed. The impeachment trial must be a mechanism that prints an indelible "S" on the foreheads of every member of the Sedition Caucus.
I'd recommend appointing as many Special Prosecutors as necessary to keep the shenanigans of every one of those scumbags in the news until after the '22 elections.
Optimally we might get some thrown out. Are any of them from States with Dem Governors?

... this time there will be witnesses, so we'll see how that goes I guess.

QFT

Back
Top Bottom