• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden's speech of Sept 1 2022 link

I'm saying a more skillful politician might be able to actually bring the country together insead of dividing it even more.
Seriously, how would that come about without using Jedi mind tricks or ruthless assassinations? The hardcore Trump supporters (i.e. "the election was stolen" types) are not interested in "unifying" the country.

Is Something Called “Narcissistic Collapse” Coming To America?

In President Biden‘s speech yesterday, he spoke tough truths that had to be said out-loud. This country is under attack from within. And the attack is led by a madman.

Donald Trump may be about to throw America into a crisis that could make January 6th look like a romp in the park. It has to do with something called “narcissistic collapse.”

Trump is a classic extroverted, grandiose narcissist of such severity that numerous professionals in the psychology field have pointed out how he could easily be diagnosed as suffering severe Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD).

Narcissists of this type are often at the top of their fields, driven to over-achievement by a deep underlying sense of inferiority and shame. In Trump’s case, this probably came from his having a criminal psychopath as a father and a mother who so disliked him that she sent him off to military school at a young age and went, alone, to Scotland during the summers when he was home from school in New York.

He grew up filled with shame, lying and cheating to “win” the love and approval of others, stealing from his family and people he did business with to physically build around himself the trappings of success.

NBC taught him how to do television and turned him into a star, and he leveraged that into politics where he gets constant daily affirmation from people often damaged the same way he is. On the outside, he seems rich, powerful, and successful.

Deep down inside, though, he knows he’s a failure. He’d failed at school; he failed repeatedly at business; he failed at marriage; he pissed away the entirety of the more than $400 million he stole from his father’s estate and still had to be bailed out by the Russians; he’d even failed at being a child loved by his parents and siblings.

His narcissism is his defense against this history of failure and the inevitable shame associated with a lifetime of it. And his narcissism is of the most severe variety — the grandiose form — where he makes grand claims to the effect of, “I, alone, can fix it,” and, “I could shoot somebody on Fifth Avenue and my people would still love me and vote for me.”
For a narcissist like Trump with considerable power, the ability to harm organizations/institutions, or who can meaningfully threaten damage to other people, this is the moment of maximum danger for those around him.
Well worth a reading.

It is important to remember, Trump is riding a wave he didn't create. This this started at the end of the Civil War, picked up steam with Nixon, and since Reagan, the party has become unrecognizable from the party of the 1980s. This movement was greatly influenced by the AM Radio dial and then Cable news.

Donald Trump managed to hook himself onto it somehow. But he isn't the disease, he is a symptom. And the disease itself is suffocating our nation.

Now, "the Reds" are threatening political violence if the "blue" states don't fall in line with "the Red States"
Wut? Are they threatening the "blue" states with well manincured lawns and low crime?
As a reminder, violent crime is generally higher in red states than blue states. Does this mean red states are more evil? Not really.

However, when people don't even have a fundamental understanding of reality, it really gets hard having fruitful conversations.

You want to read a speech about a call to violence, check out the speakers on January 6th, 2021.
Yes, I want to read of speech from a politician (not just a loon that was there) during Jan 6th with a call to violence. You will not find it in Trump's speech. Perhaps you can site?

Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!
From Donald Trump's tweet on the 18th of December 2019.

What Trump meant by that is of course open to interpretation. He probably meant "will be wildly peaceful" or "wildly non-violent".
sarcasm_emoj.gif

Now, "the Reds" are threatening political violence if the "blue" states don't fall in line with "the Red States"
Wut? Are they threatening the "blue" states with well manincured lawns and low crime?
As a reminder, violent crime is generally higher in red states than blue states. Does this mean red states are more evil? Not really.

However, when people don't even have a fundamental understanding of reality, it really gets hard having fruitful conversations.

It also doesn't help that well-manicured lawns were arguably brought to America by well-to-do Europeans and then launched from a blue state (NY).

Is Something Called “Narcissistic Collapse” Coming To America?

In President Biden‘s speech yesterday, he spoke tough truths that had to be said out-loud. This country is under attack from within. And the attack is led by a madman.
Please stop focusing on Trump. He was nothing without McConnell, McCarthy, etc... He appointed a lot of judges but he didn't select them. That was the doing of The Federalist Society. Trump is a smoke screen. I agree with all of the piece describing his pathological narcissism but it would be impotent with respect to its ability to fuck us all if it wasn't for what the GOP is doing around him.

As a reminder, violent crime is generally higher in red states than blue states.
This is fun! Who runs those cities with the high bang-bang and boom-boom?
Crime is technically higher in Republican run cities than Democrat run cities. And rural America has seen a likewise increase in crime as have cities.

At any point, you can actually look at the data and see this isn't a partisan thing where red territory are these epic utopias free of crime and blue territory are Mad Max territory where people are barely not starving to death.

This is fun! Who runs those cities with the high bang-bang and boom-boom?
Mayors. Quite a few of them are Republicans.

For example, Jacksonville, a city with a Republican mayor, had 128 more murders in 2020 than San Francisco, a city with a Democrat mayor, despite their comparable populations. In fact, the homicide rate in Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s San Francisco was half that of House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy’s Bakersfield, a city with a Republican mayor that overwhelmingly voted for Trump. Yet there is barely a whisper, let alone an outcry, over the stunning levels of murders in these and other places.

It's somebodies first rodeo. I think they believe the only Mayor in the USA is that black woman in Chicago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's somebodies first rodeo.
Is it, though? We routinely have "new" users show up who were previously shown the door.

Anywho, if we're gonna make the "who was in charge?" argument, then Trump has some 'splaining to do. His last year in office was such a clusterfuck that January 6th should be commemorated as "You Seriously Want to Keep Doing This Shit?" Day. Pandemic raging, economy trashed, cats and dogs living together...

Is he actually trying to calm the country down or instead stir things up more?
I think the answer is evident if you listen to the speech. He is, as you say, blasting the MAGAts. On one hand, that might stir “things” (MAGAts) up. On the other, he is trying to unite reasonable people regardless of Party, to oppose and prevent MAGAt fascism from abolishing democracy and converting America to the kleptocracy of Trump’s dreams.
Trump is desperate, and any attempt to restrain him will be met with violence. Having once elected him, that is now a price we will pay to get rid of him. Otherwise we lose everything.
It might be an appropriate time to remind you....that if discord continues further into civil war there is one side that is heavily armed and trigger happy. That same side being trained and experienced in firearms.

It is in no ones best interest to stir things up more.
Stick your veiled threats where the sun don't shine.

If it comes to civil war, that will be because the morons who are trying to overthrow the government weren't prevented from doing so, for fear of being seen as 'partisan' on the part of the side that aren't unashamedly and rabidly partisan.

And the heavily armed and trigger happy fuckwits of the Q-tard right will get to carry their teeth home in their hats, because (you may not have noticed this) the US military is also heavily armed, and are well trained and highly disciplined, which beats trigger happy every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

This tiny and deplorable rabble of idiots led by a con-man have only themselves to blame if they push the overwhelming majority of people into civil war. Pre-emptively blaming the victims for any violent consequences of thinking about defending themselves, rather than capitulating, is vile gaslighting.

I hope that the government continues to show suitable restraint; And that when pushed beyond the point where that is possible, that they crush these fascist assholes like the cockroaches they are.

Saying "no" to further damage to democratic institutions isn't "stirring things up". "Stirring things up" would be refusing to graciously accept defeat two fucking years after losing an election.

Last edited:
I just don't get how this helps the country. I don't get how this unifies the country. Who is the winner of a civil war?
Dunno. How many legally owned slaves are there in the USA these days?
Ah, but you see...the USA civil war was not about slavery at all! It was about states' rights!

You know...like how the American right was insisting that abortion be "left up to the states" for decades. Yes, that's all they wanted...for such an important decision to be left up to each individual sovereign state.

Wait? What's that (holds up hand to ear as if receiving news report in non-existent ear piece): A nanosecond after the Dobbs decision was handed down the GOP introduced nationwide abortion bans, and legislation barring women from crossing state lines to get healthcare? Wow! What a surprise! It's like the party of "let's leave it up to the states" was lying for like (checks notes) 50 years? Why next thing you'll tell me they were behind institutional racism the entire time, and the whole "Democrats are the party of racists" was a lie as well!

I'm shocked, I tell you.

I'm saying a more skillful politician might be able to actually bring the country together insead of dividing it even more.
Seriously, how would that come about without using Jedi mind tricks or ruthless assassinations? The hardcore Trump supporters (i.e. "the election was stolen" types) are not interested in "unifying" the country
I'm certainly no expert politician. But I would go to the heart of every American with common values we all share. I would remind America of how I grew up middle class in Pennsylvania the rust belt. That the government is there to serve the people to bring jobs and prosperity to everyone.....I would focus on shit like that....common goals.

And I would shy away from divisive rhetoric that separates blue democrats and Republicans. And I would certainly make my speech look as pleasant as possible and not looking like it came from the death star.

Odd how you only talk about unity and reconciliation when you realise how truly unpopular your fascist heroes are. Wake me up when Biden gasses a crowd of protesters so he can get his picture taken outside a church.

Seriously, how would that come about without using Jedi mind tricks or ruthless assassinations? The hardcore Trump supporters (i.e. "the election was stolen" types) are not interested in "unifying" the country
I'm certainly no expert politician. But I would go to the heart of every American with common values we all share. I would remind America of how I grew up middle class in Pennsylvania the rust belt. That the government is there to serve the people to bring jobs and prosperity to everyone.....I would focus on shit like that....common goals.
Like giving a massive tax cut to the wealthy so that it might eventually "trickle down" to the workers?

You might have missed it, but the GOP has been on this kick for a couple decades now that the President should be a wealthy CEO type who "runs the government like a business."

What does that mean? It means that the government is supposed to serve the people at the top, and "bringing jobs" is way down the list of priorities. The most important thing is goosing the stock price so that the already-rich CEO can get a bonus that's more than even the most generously paid worker's annual salary.

This is what the Republican Party stands for. The CEO gets a private jet and stock options. The middle/working class employee gets the "gift" of a job and some table scraps.

Awhile back I got to exchange a few words with the daughter of my state's famous late Senator McCain. She insisted that he was a "man of the people" because he occasionally held town hall meetings, but I pointed out the difference. As a citizen, I might be able to line up for the chance to ask a question in a town hall meeting.

If I donate a healthy sum to his campaign? I get a meeting in his office. No waiting in line.

The GOP is not - and I'd argue has never been - the party of the "common folk." They've always been there to serve the boss rather than the workers. I grew up in middle class Michigan in the rust belt, and the Republican party has been fucking over the working class since I was old enough to vote.

And I would shy away from divisive rhetoric that separates blue democrats and Republicans. And I would certainly make my speech look as pleasant as possible and not looking like it came from the death star.
Republicans do not believe that gov't is there to bring jobs to everyone. Hell, I'm not sure they believe the gov't is there to serve the people, because there is little evidence of it in their policies.

Back
Top Bottom