• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Big Lie Two Is Here, and It’s Far More Insidious Than Big Lie One

It's a mixed bag. The Alvin Bragg case was most certainly politically motivated, and him going first with the indictment did not do much for the public perception of the later, much stronger cases.

But then again, Alvin Bragg has shown over and over again that he is a partisan hack and not very smart besides.

It's a mixed bag. The Alvin Bragg case

You mean the 34 count felony indictment of Donald Trump by the Manhattan District Attorney for falsifying business records?

was most certainly politically motivated, and him going first with the indictment did not do much for the public perception of the later, much stronger cases.

What makes you think the business fraud case is weaker than other cases? Two of Trumps co-conspirators (American Media Inc. and Michael Cohen) have admitted their guilt in court. Those guilty pleas and the business records tied to Trump and the Trump Organization are pretty solid evidence of criminal conduct.

If the Manhattan District Attorney delayed formal charges, you *might* be able to show evidence that politics was a factor. But since it appears he charged Trump in a timely manner once sufficient evidence to support the charges had been collected, I don't see how you can.

But do they still think they’re crimes worth indicting? Even if they were politically motivated the motivation doesn’t change the facts in the cases.

My impression is that the various District Attorneys in NYC and the State of New York have known for decades that Donald Trump is a cheat, a scammer, and a habitual lawbreaker, but it's only recently that his wall of lawyers has started to crack and leak.

Well duh the prosecution is politically motivated but that doesn't mean he didn't do it! I watched jan 6 live on my lunch break!

I don't see why there's a problem with political motivations. By nature, politicians will have political opponents. All politics is politically motivated. If a political opponent is engaged in illegal activity, are we supposed to grant them some kind of immunity because their chosen career is closely connected with law enforcement?

It's not any different in private business. If one owned a pizza parlor and you had evidence your chief competitor was dumping cooking grease in the sewer, while you pay to have your grease disposed of properly, should you ignore the crime that puts you at a competitive disadvantage?

Trump's problem is not political motivation, it's political incompetence, which is compounded by a general incompetence.

Well duh the prosecution is politically motivated but that doesn't mean he didn't do it! I watched jan 6 live on my lunch break!
It isn't politically motivated. The guy conspired to overthrow an election and conspired to a fake electorate fraud, strong arm Georgia into breaking the law, and rustled up a riot too (technically not being brought up on charges of inciting a riot). He stole documents he had no right to have and conspired to destroy evidence of people hiding them. The ass breaks every rule he can and when people call him on it, he whines about how unfair it is.

It isn't politically motivated. The guy conspired to overthrow an election and conspired to a fake electorate fraud, strong arm Georgia into breaking the law, and rustled up a riot too (technically not being brought up on charges of inciting a riot). He stole documents he had no right to have and conspired to destroy evidence of people hiding them. The ass breaks every rule he can and when people call him on it, he whines about how unfair it is.
Hell yeah he's fucking guilty and I want him under the jail, but his crimes in Georgia and around Jan 6 interrruted THE SHOW which is why he is being prosecuted whereas other corporate figures and politicians get away with their particular crimes because they don't interrupt THE SHOW, the pretense of democracy.

Hell yeah he's fucking guilty and I want him under the jail, but his crimes in Georgia and around Jan 6 interrruted THE SHOW which is why he is being prosecuted whereas other corporate figures and politicians get away with their particular crimes because they don't interrupt THE SHOW, the pretense of democracy.
He called the SoS of GA to personally demand changing the result of the election. That isn't "interrupting" the show. It is ELECTION FRAUD.

He called the SoS of GA to personally demand changing the result of the election. That isn't "interrupting" the show. It is ELECTION FRAUD.

Read my post. You missed my pint.

It's a mixed bag. The Alvin Bragg case was most certainly politically motivated, and him going first with the indictment did not do much for the public perception of the later, much stronger cases.

But then again, Alvin Bragg has shown over and over again that he is a partisan hack and not very smart besides.
They're small potatoes compared to the coup-related ones but that doesn't make it political. He was dirty, the hard part was proving it. The federal mess caused enough people to talk that he could finally prove some of the dirt.

Bottom line is of course that if he committed the crime, the “motivation” behind charging him for it doesn’t matter…but there’s another distinction worth making in this context:

For myriad reasons, and much to our detriment, we’ve gravitated into a landscape where essentially EVERY aspect of American life is “politically motivated.”
Sports isn’t just sports now—it’s which player knelt for the anthem, which team featured a Pride jersey, which team did or didn’t refuse a White House visit after a championship.
Movies aren’t just movies now—it’s which film was “woke” because they had a Black princess, which map of China was behind Barbie, which film has Conservatives convinced their kids are being hunted.
We can’t escape it in music, which has become another front in the virtue/signaling wars—by both armies— and it’s more about which artist is/was/should be “cancelled” for [insert latest outrage here.]
Health care isn’t just health care now, judges aren’t just judges now, library books aren’t just library books now.

A safe, free, and effective vaccine for a global pandemic became a litmus test for where the potential victims stood politically.

For fuck’s sake, we’re at the point where the WEATHER has to be filtered through a political lens. Whether or not climate change contributed to this hurricane or that wildfire becomes the passionate debate, not how we can help those affected, or mitigate future disasters.

So, IF, for discussion’s sake, we concede that Trump’s hush money case may have been at least in part “politically motivated”…so fucking what? Is there some special attribute connected to (the politician) Trump’s crimes that makes them unique within American society, and immune from a political dimension?

“The lie is that the indictments against Trump represent a collective effort to stop him from running for president.”

That’s not a lie. Of course the people who know what he’s done don’t want him to win. But many of us want him to run because he’s a LOSER.
“Trump won in 2020” is a lie. It would also be a lie if they were saying that Trump didn’t do the things with which he has been charged. But I don’t hear much of that from him or his idiots.

Trump talks of this all the time; “election interference” is the phrase he often uses.

And it’s not inaccurate. Not many of us want a gangster, multiple felon, thief and liar running the Country. Godswilling an’ th’creek don’t rise, these charges will interfere mightily with any chance that the fucker gets re-elected.

They can’t stop me legitimately, he says—they know I won in 2020, and they know I’ll win again …”

THOSE are lies. Nobody “knows” things that are not so. Putting his crimes on display is a perfectly legitimate process that accrues to criminals who get caught.

But the BIG lie is still the BIG lie.

Back
Top Bottom