• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bill O'Reilly's combat experiences....hmmm?

tupac chopra

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
I am god
These Are the Questions Bill O'Reilly Won't Answer
On Thursday, Mother Jones published an article by Daniel Schulman and me that documented how Fox News host Bill O'Reilly has mischaracterized his wartime reporting experience. Most notably, he has more than once said that during his short stint as a CBS correspondent in the 1980s, he was in the "war zone" during the Falklands war between the United Kingdom and Argentina in 1982. He even once told the story of heroically rescuing his cameraman in this "war zone" while being chased by army soldiers. Yet according to O'Reilly's former CBS colleagues in Argentina and other journalists there during the war, no American journalist reached the war zone in the Falkland Islands and other territories iin the southern Atlantic Ocean during this conflict. O'Reilly and his colleagues covered the war from Buenos Aires, which was 1200 miles from the fighting.

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/568588373658636288/photo/1

Last edited:
Fox viewers don't know how long Argentina is.

O'Reilly never claimed to be in the Falklands. He claims Buenos Aires was a combat zone.

O'Reilly never claimed to be in the Falklands. He claims Buenos Aires was a combat zone.

On his television show on April 17, 2013, Mr. O'Reilly said, "I was in a situation one time, in a war zone in Argentina, in the Falklands, where my photographer got run down and then hit his head and was bleeding from the ear on the concrete. And the army was chasing us. I had to make a decision. And I dragged him off, you know, but at the same time, I'm looking around and trying to do my job, but I figure I had to get this guy out of there because that was more important." When and where did this happen?

Not the only time he's claimed this, either, so it's doubtful that he simply misspoke and much more likely that he's just a lying fuckbag.

He's also claimed to have seen the police "gun down" people in Latin America and that "many" were killed during the protest in Buenos Aires, when there are no other accounts to corroborate this. There are no reports of any fatalities, just two journalists being wounded with rubber bullets. He's been caught in a blatant lie. Not that it matters, because if lying were enough to get you fired from FOX, none of their current lineup would be working there.

He probably misremembers getting bounced out of a bar...

No one does righteous indignation better than Bill, except Jon Stewart, pretending to be righteously indignant Bill.

I can't wait for Jon to catch the O'Reilly Falklands story.

And O'Reilly responds, predictably, with venom, bile, and no actual response to the substance of the MJ article.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/02/20/bill-oreillys-talking-points-memo-22015-airing-tonight-8pm-et

But I'm sure his knuckledragging fanbase will be convinced that he "handled" another assault from the "liberal media." :rolleyes:
I'm curious, how did he think that addressed the issue of him lying about being in the Falklands after the fact. That he was in Argentina wasn't in doubt.

And now I Brian Williams will address the claims of the military and show this picture of me being Iraq. Therefore the claim actually made against me is wrong. *slam dunk*

I'm curious, how did he think that addressed the issue of him lying about being in the Falklands after the fact. That he was in Argentina wasn't in doubt.

He is fully aware it didn't, but it doesn't matter. He knows his viewers will accept any bullshit that comes out of his mouth as long as he says it loudly and with enough self-righteous anger, and then brings his sycophantic panelists on to pour the bullshit on a bit thicker.

Any objective reader can see that his response does not address the charges against him, but it won't matter. It happened too long ago, there are no outraged soldiers for the media to exploit and so this won't gain much traction, it'll just get added to the already extensive list of FOX News lies and fuckups.

In other news, all reporters, and in fact, all people, anywhere, who have ever reported on or even been near a riot situation or any form of civil unrest, are now "combat veterans," according to FOX. :rolleyes:

He is fully aware it didn't, but it doesn't matter. He knows his viewers will accept any bullshit that comes out of his mouth as long as he says it loudly and with enough self-righteous anger, and then brings his sycophantic panelists on to pour the bullshit on a bit thicker.

Any objective reader can see that his response does not address the charges against him, but it won't matter. It happened too long ago, there are no outraged soldiers for the media to exploit and so this won't gain much traction, it'll just get added to the already extensive list of FOX News lies and fuckups.

In other news, all reporters, and in fact, all people, anywhere, who have ever reported on or even been near a riot situation or any form of civil unrest, are now "combat veterans," according to FOX. :rolleyes:
I was observing a mild protest by the Native population on the South Shore of Massachusetts one time during Thanksgiving. Does that make me a veteran?

I was observing a mild protest by the Native population on the South Shore of Massachusetts one time during Thanksgiving. Does that make me a veteran?

Hell that's nothing. I was at Pearl Harbor. On the USS Arizona no less. Surrounded by Japanese.

In 2005, but still...the country was at war!

If being in the capital city of a country that is at war counts as being in a "war zone," then I guess the Department of Defense got my medal lost in the mail?

We're all heroes by Bill-o's standard.

Yep. I would forgive something like this in certain situations, like if the person wasn't a bullying, pontificating blowhard and a warmonger who's used this particular lie to try to boost his credibility over the years but, well...you can see where the problem lies here.

Remember when Ghengis Khan died and the Mongol armies turned back from Europe to go and fight over the throne and never ended up coming back?

That was me.

You're welcome.

It's called hypocrisy. He's dissing Williams for doing the same thing that he did.

Back
Top Bottom