• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Black Woman calling a White Woman a "Karen"

I said it wasn't sexist because it isn't about the gender of the person, it is about their attitude and what they are doing. If it were men doing it, they would probably be Darens, but it still wouldn't be about their gender, it would be about what they are doing.

Exactly. This all started with videos going viral of women calling the police because they saw black people. So it is racial in that it was showing people being racist. There was BBQ Becky, Permit Patty, etc, but somewhere along the line people gave up making new names and just settled on Karen. There have been a few guys in the mix, but there is some debate if they should be called Kens, Kevins or what. An example would be that couple that went out with guns to ‘defend their house’ from passing protesters.

While it started off about over privileged arrogant white people being racist, it expanded to other bitchy people, most often complaining about being required to wear a mask. Oh yea, and there was that one woman that bought up all the toilet paper in one store, filling two trucks, at the time we were experiencing shortages.

Blacks can and do make racial slurs and not just on whites, surprise!!!!

Blacks are human like everybody else. As was said, for me blacks and whites are usably nice with each other as most people are.

My mother-in-law first name is Karen, and she largely fits the profile...beyond being narcissistic...so yippee ki yay

Imagine if there were, say, a bunch of videos of black men loosing their cool, in the style of Dave Chapelle's infamous "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong" skits, and a new term, Tyrone, was invented to describe people who loose their cool... I am convinced the people defending the term "Karen" wouldn't 't be making this argument that of course that isn't racist it's about their behavior and not their race. I mean, Jesus fucking Christ, behavioral stereotypes that are racially tinged are racist. Behavioral stereotypes that are sexually tinged are sexist. Fat. Fucking. Chance. the people in this thread that are defending Karen would let that slide.

It's extremely disturbing to me how easy ideological possession is. The culture wars in the last decade have made this crystal clear to me.

I am fine with some degree of racial humor back and forth like used to happen in the old Friar's Club roasts. Just don't lie about what is happening.

Reactions: WAB
it's another sad desperate attempt by white people to make themselves the victim.
Why do you say that white people can't be victims of racism?
"Karen" is most definitely a racist slur and yes, Lori Lightfoot is being racist. Had Keighliegh McCanney used a similar word that is in reference to black women (e.g. "Shaniqua") against Lori Lightfoot, she'd have been decried as "racist" and you would agree. So why do you think it's ok for black people to engage in racist stereotyping?

karen is used derogatorily towards entitled women of all races
Wrong. "Karen" refers specifically to white women.

who are freaking the fuck out over something stupid, the memes are references to 'karen' that spawned this colloquialism are race-neutral and target a behavior, not an ethnic group.
Bullshit. I have never seen a black woman described as a "Karen".

Last edited:
So back when Opie and Anthony used Tyrone and maybe Shaniqua as a shorthand for any black person it was similar to this now.

"Shaniqua" should be the term for a black woman who demands to speak to the manager. Or demands that a news organization take the name of her boyfriend/husband who was wanted for felony murder (he's since been arrested) off their sites.

I don't know her real name, but she's such a Shaniqua. ;) Especially when she started insulting the mother of the murdered 8 year old girl.

Blacks are human like everybody else. As was said, for me blacks and whites are usably nice with each other as most people are.

It is a surprise to the hardcore leftists because they always insist that black people can't be racist. It's an article of faith, kind of like how women never lie about rape.

Bullshit that it isn't a gendered pejorative. Of course it's gendered, and yes, it has a racial implication. This is easy to see if there were a similar pejorative that used a stereotypically black, female name, e.g. Shaniqua, to mean something unsavory.

I don't think it is a big deal, but then again, I'm pretty consistent that many slurs, be they gendered or even slightly racially tinged, aren't a big deal. At least, in certain contexts (and can become big deals in other contexts, say, an employer saying them to an employee).

I said it wasn't sexist because it isn't about the gender of the person, it is about their attitude and what they are doing. If it were men doing it, they would probably be Darens, but it still wouldn't be about their gender, it would be about what they are doing.

I believe the male version is Ken.

It is a surprise to the hardcore leftists because they always insist that black people can't be racist. It's an article of faith, kind of like how women never lie about rape.

Sure thing, Tommy..

Sure thing, Tommy..

I am not lying. The position that black people can't be racist is held by many on the Left.

Funny clip, although Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature dude!

Sure thing, Tommy..

I am not lying. The position that black people can't be racist is held by many on the Left.
You already shifted from "I hardcore leftists because they always insist that black people can't be racist" to "held by many on the Left".

And, of course, it may very well be that their meaning of "racist" is different than yours.

Sure thing, Tommy..

Heh, I was expecting this Tommy.

You already shifted from "I hardcore leftists because they always insist that black people can't be racist" to "held by many on the Left".

And, of course, it may very well be that their meaning of "racist" is different than yours.

It is a tenet of critical race theory that only white people can be racist, though black people can be prejudiced by race (but that isn't racism).

This has been further developed by race theorists like Robin DiAngelo to all white people are racist.

Of course, DiAngelo is a self-described racist so who knows if you can trust what she says.

Reactions: WAB

It is a tenet of critical race theory that only white people can be racist, though black people can be prejudiced by race (but that isn't racism).
I am not an expert on critical race theory, but none of the readings I have seen claim that only white people can be racist. At least none of the writings of Derrick Bell that I have read.

Racism used to mean the idea that some races are inferior to others. Additionally, some people use "racism to mean that a race has the power to subjugate or keep the inferior races under their control.

So, I grew up learning that while a racist is most likely also a bigot, a bigot need not be a racist.

Why do you say that white people can't be victims of racism?
at what point did i come even remotely close to saying that?

"Karen" is most definitely a racist slur
no it isn't, and your utter lack of understanding of meme culture doesn't magically make it otherwise.
you and J84 are so woefully ignorant on this point of fact that it doesn't even bear engaging over, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Wrong. "Karen" refers specifically to white women.
no, i'm not wrong. you are extremely ignorant on this subject.
and i don't say that in the typical nyeh-nyeh forum insult way, i mean you just lack context or accurate information about the subject under discussion - you are literally ignorant of the cultural history of this.
i don't say this to denigrate you, but i must point out your ignorance means your position is hinged on declarations so monumentally detached from actual physical reality you might as well be screaming that pumpkins are volvos.

Bullshit. I have never seen a black woman described as a "Karen".
so by that logic australia doesn't exist because i haven't seen it, right?

not to put too fine a point on it but you spend your days trawling the internet for any whisper of an article about 'feminism' you can post here and scream about, you don't know fuck-all about meme generator culture or the websites where that sort of thing is a thing. you don't have a leg to stand on here, you are so far out of your depth you're not even in the same geologic strata.

I am not an expert on critical race theory, but none of the readings I have seen claim that only white people can be racist. At least none of the writings of Derrick Bell that I have read.

http://www.aclrc.com/myth-of-reverse-racism

Some history of the term:
https://www.nas.org/blogs/article/where_did_we_get_the_idea_that_only_white_people_can_be_racist

Racism used to mean the idea that some races are inferior to others. Additionally, some people use "racism to mean that a race has the power to subjugate or keep the inferior races under their control.

So, I grew up learning that while a racist is most likely also a bigot, a bigot need not be a racist.

I was also taught that racism was seeing some races as inferior to others. That is not the definition used by sociologists or anybody on the hard left:

https://stateofopportunity.michigan...le-being-called-racist-theory-white-fragility

Then, if someone comes along and talks about racism the way DiAngelo does – that racism is a system of oppression. That anyone can be prejudiced, but in America, only white people are racist. And, actually, all white people are racist because, as DiAngelo says:

"Racism comes out of our pores as white people. It's the way that we are."

Back
Top Bottom