• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Book Recommendation: Proof of Evolution

There are many books that will describe evidence for evolution, but basically any book that explains anything about life science is evidence for evolution (you'd need to understand evolution to get that). Anyway, the point is, evolution is true, just accept it, what you really want to do is find a book that helps you understand what evolution is.

There isn't a thing wrong with wanting to know why something is true.

True, although what I was suggesting accomplishes the same thing, just in better detail.

It comes down to what kind of book you want to read:

- a (likely) anti-creationist / scientific book
- a scientific book

I'd rather read the scientific book without any type of religious edge and understand the nitty gritty of evolution.

The most comprehensive text I've ever seen is Gould's "The Structure of Evolutionary Theory".
You read it?
As much as Gould is/was one of my heros,i could never get past the first hundred pages.

Although I think I got through it i was left with an impression that I'd just read the most self serving author ever. Scientist? You have to be out of your mind.

You read it?
As much as Gould is/was one of my heros,i could never get past the first hundred pages.

Although I think I got through it i was left with an impression that I'd just read the most self serving author ever. Scientist? You have to be out of your mind.

What?

Gould was a bit arrogant and didn't tolerate fools very well but he knew more about Evolutionary Theory than any other person alive, and his masterpiece is proof of that.

He also made major contributions to the field (punctuated equilibrium) as opposed to someone like Dawkins who isn't really much more than a popularist and never wrote anything close to Gould's "Structure of ET".

I have been reading Jerry Coyne's book. I can't believe what I am hearing. It's blowing my mind right now.

What?

Gould was a bit arrogant and didn't tolerate fools very well but he knew more about Evolutionary Theory than any other person alive, and his masterpiece is proof of that.

What? Seriously???

He also made major contributions to the field (punctuated equilibrium) as opposed to someone like Dawkins who isn't really much more than a popularist and never wrote anything close to Gould's "Structure of ET".

I'd recommend Futuyma's Evolutionary Biology over Gould's book for someone just interested in learning about evolutionary theory.

What?

What? Seriously???

Gould has been dead a while but when he was alive there was nobody but Gould who could have written TSOET.

He gets a bad reputation because like Dawkins he was a populist. But he was much more. He did serious research and as I said also made major contributions to the field.

I'd recommend Futuyma's Evolutionary Biology over Gould's book for someone just interested in learning about evolutionary theory.

That's a simpler text but it's adequate and pretty comprehensive too.

A life-altering book about evolution....Good one.

It's pretty weird to consider for the first time that evolution might actually be true. I got goosebumps listening to that book.

It's pretty weird to me that any person in the 21st Century, living in a developed nation, can reach adulthood without at least considering that simple fact.

Spoiler:

Gravitation is true as well!

It's pretty weird to consider for the first time that evolution might actually be true. I got goosebumps listening to that book.

It's pretty weird to me that any person in the 21st Century, living in a developed nation, can reach adulthood without at least considering that simple fact.

Spoiler:

Gravitation is true as well!

I learned about it in grade school, but not really since then and not like this. Besides, there are many other factors that have escaped your omniscience that you haven't considered.

Please don't call me stupid. I want to like you

There isn't a thing wrong with wanting to know why something is true.

True, although what I was suggesting accomplishes the same thing, just in better detail.

It comes down to what kind of book you want to read:

- a (likely) anti-creationist / scientific book
- a scientific book

I'd rather read the scientific book without any type of religious edge and understand the nitty gritty of evolution.

If you get any real books on science, they're only going to talk about specific details of evolution. The ones intended for argument fodder against creationists provide the kind of overview of all the evidence you don't get anywhere else. You get to see how the puzzle pieces fit together.

What?

First you're running in circles. The idea that evolution goes in fits and jerks without the need for drastic changes in the structure of or organization brought about by geological events is a very steep climb. I'm content that Gould is considered as he is by the scientifically unwashed is due primarily to his political senses and his ability to hold forth on a stage. I'm in total agreement with critics that His opus magnum contains little evidence and much folk tale and just so stories and that his theory adjusts for every criticism to the point where it is unrecognizable and detached from its Mayr origins.

Hopefully no one else claiming scientific chops will ever write anything so vaporous and self pandering as SoET.

If you want me to not hold back and let loose, just say so. :)

What?

First you're running in circles. The idea that evolution goes in fits and jerks without the need for drastic changes in the structure of or organization brought about by geological events is a very steep climb. I'm content that Gould is considered as he is by the scientifically unwashed is due primarily to his political senses and his ability to hold forth on a stage. I'm in total agreement with critics that His opus magnum contains little evidence and much folk tale and just so stories and that his theory adjusts for every criticism to the point where it is unrecognizable and detached from its Mayr origins.

Hopefully no one else claiming scientific chops will ever write anything so vaporous and self pandering as SoET.

If you want me to not hold back and let loose, just say so. :)

'Scientifically unwashed' ... That's great.

...I'm in total agreement with critics that His opus magnum contains little evidence and much folk tale and just so stories and that his theory adjusts for every criticism to the point where it is unrecognizable and detached from its Mayr origins....

Contains "little evidence"?

You're speaking from your anus.

I won't be reading Gould anyway.

Back
Top Bottom