• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Brazil 2014--The FIFA World Cup Thread

All of this talk that Messi needs to win a World Cup to be considered truly great is nonsense. Until he's able to play every position on the field simultaneously what he's accomplished already is enough.

So far ten matches are in the books, and 34 goals have been scored. That's a pretty high scoring rate; by contrast, in 2010 there were a mere 16 goals in the first 10 matches, while in 2006 there were 23 goals in that period. If the ESPN announcers during the France-Honduras match were correct, this is the most goals scored in the first ten matches since the 1958 World Cup.

Well, today is America's best chance at a victory in this group. Unfortunately, it's also Ghana's best chance at a victory, so they'll be just as scrappy and desperate as our team. Theoretically, we're ranked higher and should be able to pull this out, but I'm still nervous.

Some good stuff so far. Uruguay loss was unbelievable. Costa Rica didn't just win, they won the game outright. Missing Suarez hurt a lot. I don't know who is a bigger dark horse, Belgium or Switzerland. Belgium I think are being given a chance of winning it, so that would make the Swiss the dark dark horse. The Swiss scored on a brilliant last second counterattack after Ecuador blew a good chance of their own.

Ghana v US up next. I see the US winning this game, short of a ref fart like we saw in the Brazil game.
Best goal so far...Robin Van Persie!
So far? Maybe ever. That was incredible! Keeper did the right thing and Van Persie still makes him pay. Maybe the Dutch have a shot at finally winning this year. Their win was incredible.

Some good stuff so far. Uruguay loss was unbelievable. Costa Rica didn't just win, they won the game outright. Missing Suarez hurt a lot. I don't know who is a bigger dark horse, Belgium or Switzerland. Belgium I think are being given a chance of winning it, so that would make the Swiss the dark dark horse. The Swiss scored on a brilliant last second counterattack after Ecuador blew a good chance of their own.

Ghana v US up next. I see the US winning this game, short of a ref fart like we saw in the Brazil game.
So far? Maybe ever. That was incredible! Keeper did the right thing and Van Persie still makes him pay. Maybe the Dutch have a shot at finally winning this year. Their win was incredible.

I agree. Van Persie is one of my favorite players. Check this out...He's a wizard! Enjoy! :)

That's just it: we're expected to win this game because we're actually ranked higher than them. This is new territory for me, and I don't think I liked it. I liked it better when every single win was a surprise; now, if we lose I will be that much more disappointed and if we win it won't feel as special because I was expecting it. Bah.

Did Pepe really deserve that red card?

The German player fouled Pepe, then acted like the victim, rolling on the ground in dramatic fashion. That head butt Pepe gave him was probably unintentional, and he got ejected for it? Yeesh.

That's it. That's the game. Portugal is not going to be able to come back from this. No way. This is bad for the US because we play Portugal next after Ghana, and they're going to be angry and looking for someone to take out their frustrations on.

I wouldn't say we are favorites because of any ridiculous FIFA ranking system. I just feel that the US team is in a different place right now. I think 4 to 6 points is possible.

The German player fouled Pepe, then acted like the victim, rolling on the ground in dramatic fashion. That head butt Pepe gave him was probably unintentional, and he got ejected for it? Yeesh.

That's it. That's the game. Portugal is not going to be able to come back from this. No way. This is bad for the US because we play Portugal next after Ghana, and they're going to be angry and looking for someone to take out their frustrations on.
They won't have Pepe now.

I wouldn't say we are favorites because of any ridiculous FIFA ranking system. I just feel that the US team is in a different place right now. I think 4 to 6 points is possible.

They won't have Pepe now.

Is our offense good enough to capitalize on that, though?

Pepe thew back his hand to push the guy back off the ball, which is a foul. The German then embellished the foul like all futbol players always do. Then everything that followed was all the fault of Pepe and clearly an intentional act of post-play contact, taunting, and aggression. He deserved a red.

Given badly Portugal did the rest of the match, I'm not too worried about their ability to exact revenge on the US in their next game. If the US loses to them it will be because the US isn't good enough to even beat a hampered Portugal team.

Germany looked like a probable semi-finalist, at the least.

Between Portugal losing by a large margin, Pepe being suspended when the US plays them, and Ghana having to keep two of their best players out of the starting eleven today (Essien and Boateng), the US has a golden opportunity to advance. Whether they will be up to taking advantage--I just don't know.

Well, that one was a nail biter for fans of the US today. It was almost a heartbreaker, but John Brooks justified his inclusion on the US roster with his late game-winner. What was surprising to me was that the US was able to win despite getting such a weak game from their ostensible best player, Michael Bradley.

USA! USA! USA!

Even as an American that chant use to annoy me. That is until I found out just how much Europeans hated it. Now I love it.

I hope Altidore is OK. Beating Germany or Portugal with Altidore will be hard enough, but without him? Yeesh. What a costly victory.

I think you are dreaming. 4 points would require a win and a tie. It would be a surprise if US can get more than 2 points (two ties).
I'm not one to say I told you so... oh wait... yes I am. Told you so! This is a team. It feels like '02 again.

I hope Altidore is OK. Beating Germany or Portugal with Altidore will be hard enough, but without him? Yeesh. What a costly victory.
I'm not worried about that. What matters is the team. An individual player doesn't make a team. These are all pretty good individual players. They need to put themselves into a circumstance that can lead to victory and then take advantage. Our chances of getting out of the group stage didn't hang on Donavon and they don't hang on Altidore.

The Portugal game will be very interesting, being in a Rain Forest and all. Fitness will have a big hand in the game.

Back
Top Bottom