• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Brazil 2014--The FIFA World Cup Thread

Does Canada have a team? If so, I'll cheer for them. I don't think we have one, though, so I'll pick England to win.

Canada is in CONCACAF, which can send two teams to the World Cup. These days, those two teams are practically guaranteed to be the US and Mexico.

Actually, CONCACAF has four finalists this time--Costa Rica and Honduras are there along with the US and Mexico. And Mexico had to huff and puff to make it this time, as they had to play New Zealand in an elimination match to qualify.

Holy crap, CONCACAF got more slots? That's epic!

- - - Updated - - -

Not a great opening match but not the worst I've ever seen in nearly 30 years of following World Cups. Details hidden to avoid spoilers for those unable to watch live.

As bilby noted, the scoreline was flattering to Brazil. They didn't play an outstanding game--their offense looked out of synch most of the time and they seemed shaky at the back.

We also get our first officiating controversy of the Cup with the very tight call on the penalty.

Oscar was a bright spot for Brazil--industrious and energetic throughout; his goal was a just reward for his hard work.

You make it sound so boring

Brazil started off the festivities with an own goal. I have to imagine the Brazilian press is being unkind to them right now.

Does Canada have a team? If so, I'll cheer for them. I don't think we have one, though, so I'll pick England to win.

Canada is in CONCACAF, which can send two teams to the World Cup. These days, those two teams are practically guaranteed to be the US and Mexico.

Actually, CONCACAF has four finalists this time--Costa Rica and Honduras are there along with the US and Mexico. And Mexico had to huff and puff to make it this time, as they had to play New Zealand in an elimination match to qualify.

Holy crap, CONCACAF got more slots? That's epic!

- - - Updated - - -

Not a great opening match but not the worst I've ever seen in nearly 30 years of following World Cups. Details hidden to avoid spoilers for those unable to watch live.

As bilby noted, the scoreline was flattering to Brazil. They didn't play an outstanding game--their offense looked out of synch most of the time and they seemed shaky at the back.

We also get our first officiating controversy of the Cup with the very tight call on the penalty.

Oscar was a bright spot for Brazil--industrious and energetic throughout; his goal was a just reward for his hard work.

You make it sound so boring

Brazil started off the festivities with an own goal. I have to imagine the Brazilian press is being unkind to them right now.

Well I did mention that

Brazil scored ALL the goals :p

Incredible how the ref pretty much declared Brazil the winners.

What is more odd is that the Croatia goalie really got beaten on two less than great shots, though well placed, and got both hands on the PK, but still didn't stop it.

I think Maradona got more hand on the ball than the Croatia defender had contact on the Brazil striker that drew the PK.

The US is also, not in the group of death. There are two groups that are worse. The US can get 4 points in this group, maybe even 6. If they can't get 4 points, they should bother to send teams anymore.

The US is also, not in the group of death. There are two groups that are worse. The US can get 4 points in this group, maybe even 6. If they can't get 4 points, they should bother to send teams anymore.
I think you are dreaming. 4 points would require a win and a tie. It would be a surprise if US can get more than 2 points (two ties).

- - - Updated - - -

Spain got crushed 5-1 by Holland...holy shit.
Indeed. And it could have been 6-1 or 7-1 since the Oranjes kept pushing.

Spain got crushed 5-1 by Holland...holy shit.
Indeed. And it could have been 6-1 or 7-1 since the Oranjes kept pushing.

Yeah, definitely. Spain just collapsed in the last 15 minutes. Only a lucky save or two kept the scoreline from getting more embarrassing.

10342451_975246402504813_6378591986160897650_n.jpg

Good on the Aussies for not giving up and getting back into the game. Chilean defenses look quite shaky at times and that will be problematic for them going forward.

Very interesting second day.

I didn't see Mexico-Cameroon; it sounds like the 1-0 scoreline was a bit flattering to the Indomitable Lions.

Spain-Netherlands--what a shellacking. Spain's defense was torn apart in the second half. Casillas made some blunders, in particular when he gifted van Persie with his second goal. But he was also victimized by the poor play of his central defenders, Ramos and Pique, who were seriously at fault on Arjen Robben's two goals. Chile is their next opponent and they're not going to let Spain get away with sloppy defending any more than the Dutch did. Meanwhile, fabulous game for Robben, and the Dutch have a nice addition to their back line in Daley Blind, who set up their first two goals with long, well-placed passe.

Chile-Austrailia. Of the four matches so far I enjoyed this one the best. It was a good contest--the 3-1 scoreline, while it did reflect Chile's overall superiority, did not really capture how well the Socceroos pulled themselves together after Chile's two early goals, or how real their chances were of taking a point from Chile. Tim Cahill has now scored in three consecutive World Cups--"Cahill doing what he does best" seems to have been a common reaction. Chile have a few problems at the back; however, they showed some good, enterprising attacking, and (unlike Brazil yesterday), all three of their goals were solid and well-deserved.

Roddy Doyle. Two pints.

I reckon this is the essence of soccer.

18/9/11

-Have yeh recovered yet?
-Ah fuck, man. What a day. I'm still a bit - I don't fucking know - overwhelmed.
-Know wha' you mean. I had to lie down on the bed for a bit.
-I cried.
-Me too.
-Fuckin' hell.
-I never thought I'd see it happen again.
-No - same here. It's been so long- I'd given up hopin'.
-But the way he took tha' ball.
-Incredible.
-Fuckin' incredible. Here look it. Give us a hug.
-Hang on, hang on. We're not upstairs in the fuckin' lounge.
-Sorry.
-No, you're grand. Have a suck o' your pint.
-Yeah - thanks.
-You're grand.
-Somethin' to tell the grandkids, wha'.
-Exactly, yeah.
We saw it.
-That's it. The day Fernando Torres scored a fuckin' goal.

Man Utd 3 - 1 Chelsea

My citizenship is Canadian, my homeland is Scotland. Deciding who to root for in the World Cup has always been a bit weird. Mostly I just look to watch good teams play.

Back
Top Bottom