• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Brazil 2014--The FIFA World Cup Thread

MarkW

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
With the kickoff of the World Cup less than 24 hours off, a thread for it seemed appropriate. Discuss the surprises, the disappointments, the controversies both on and off the pitch, and everything else to do with the World Cup here.

Well, USA is screwed. Germany, Portugal, and Ghana in their Group (G). All good teams. I doubt the US will win a game.

Well, USA is screwed. Germany, Portugal, and Ghana in their Group (G). All good teams. I doubt the US will win a game.

The US is always behind the 8-ball in the World Cup even when we aren't in the Group of Death. Heck, the fact that we're good enough to be considered part of the Group of Death is a mark of how far we've come.

Does Canada have a team? If so, I'll cheer for them. I don't think we have one, though, so I'll pick England to win.

10356165_281408035364142_2717479989894514783_n.jpg

Does Canada have a team? If so, I'll cheer for them. I don't think we have one, though, so I'll pick England to win.

Canada is in CONCACAF, which can send two teams to the World Cup. These days, those two teams are practically guaranteed to be the US and Mexico.

Canada is in CONCACAF, which can send two teams to the World Cup. These days, those two teams are practically guaranteed to be the US and Mexico.

That's racist. Just because they're better than us at soccer, they get to play in the championship tournament? That's not the way we do things up here. :mad:

I generally support Australia and England in the group stage.

One day I hope to be able to support one of them in the final, but I am not holding my breath.

Australia are drawn with Spain, Netherlands and Chile; we might, perhaps, be able to beat Chile, but I can't see us getting one of the two spots in the round of 16 - Spain will likely win group B, and Netherlands I reckon will be second.

England are a better prospect to get past the group stage, drawn with Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica; I would expect Italy to win the group, with England second; if so, England will play the winner of the relatively weak Group C (Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan) in the round of 16, but then face the likelihood of meeting Brazil in the quarter final.

The survivors of the group G 'group of death' - probably Germany and Portugal - should brush past the top two from group H (Belgium, Russia, South Korea and Algeria), so my pick for the Quarter finalists are:

Brazil v England
France v Germany
Spain v Italy
Portugal v Argentina

Semi finals:

Brazil v Germany
Spain v Portugal

Final:

Brazil v Spain

Brazil must be favourites to win the title on home soil.

Of course, with my record for picking matches, this probably means Bosnia-Herzegovina will beat Algeria in the final :D

I cheer like crazy for Mexico, unless they're playing the US. Then they're a bunch of bastards who need to die in a fire.

I think a bunch of fans will die.Someone will score two goals...I am not sure if i could care any less about fotbal.

Actually, CONCACAF has four finalists this time--Costa Rica and Honduras are there along with the US and Mexico. And Mexico had to huff and puff to make it this time, as they had to play New Zealand in an elimination match to qualify.

USA-Ghana could easily go either way, but it would be a serious upset if the US took even a point from either Portugal or Germany.

Actually, CONCACAF has four finalists this time--Costa Rica and Honduras are there along with the US and Mexico. And Mexico had to huff and puff to make it this time, as they had to play New Zealand in an elimination match to qualify.

That's not much of an intimidating qualification match. I reckon the third string Mexican outfit could handle the kiwi footballers even if they spent the night before chainsmoking hash and snorting cocaine out of feed bags.

But really I have to echo bleubird's sentiment. I pretty effectively tune out the background noise of football enthusiasm but then every 4 years the WC comes along and it becomes difficult to ignore. This year, in addition to the talking/advertising/mania over what is essentially a terrible game/acting on a big green stage, we have the sad fact it is being hosted by a developing country that spent $11 billion for the privilege. When people in the most football mad country in the world are rioting against hosting the sports premier event you know all is not well and it's a sad edge to what is usually just a few weeks of annoyance.

The US will beat Ghana on Monday then draw with Portugal and lose to Germany. 4pts will be enough to advance where we will lose to Belgium in OT in the round of 16.

That's racist. Just because they're better than us at soccer, they get to play in the championship tournament? That's not the way we do things up here. :mad:

You should send in the Army. Oh, wait, that's not the way you do things either.

That's not much of an intimidating qualification match. I reckon the third string Mexican outfit could handle the kiwi footballers even if they spent the night before chainsmoking hash and snorting cocaine out of feed bags.

Mexico did, in fact, handle the All Whites without too much trouble, winning their two-leg playoff by an aggregate score of 9-3. But the thing is, the playoff was set up to match the winner of the Oceania region with the 4th place team from CONCACAF--so the fact that Mexico was that 4th place finisher indicates how tough their qualifying road was.

Just watched the end of the Brazil - Croatia match.

Brazil 3 - 1 Croatia. Not a big surprise, but not the most convincing home ground opener from the highly favoured Brazilians. The score line doesn't do the Croatians justice, they were a good chance for a 2-2 draw until the 90th minute. Then again, Brazil did score all of the goals :D

(Spoilers hidden in case anyone is in a timezone that is not conducive to watching live).

The most accessible matches kick off at 7am our time, with many at 2am or 4am; so I will be watching quite a few delayed broadcasts and/or recorded matches myself.

Not a great opening match but not the worst I've ever seen in nearly 30 years of following World Cups. Details hidden to avoid spoilers for those unable to watch live.

As bilby noted, the scoreline was flattering to Brazil. They didn't play an outstanding game--their offense looked out of synch most of the time and they seemed shaky at the back.

We also get our first officiating controversy of the Cup with the very tight call on the penalty.

Oscar was a bright spot for Brazil--industrious and energetic throughout; his goal was a just reward for his hard work.

Back
Top Bottom