• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

I don't know what the answer to all this is, but the current strategy sure isn't working.
Then your political party is useless. Go home and let the adults work on solving the real problems, k?
What's my political party?
Even more useless, then.
I've been registered since 1980 as "independent". So, I don't know how to respond to the statement that my "political party is useless". :unsure:

I don't know what the answer to all this is, but the current strategy sure isn't working.
Then your political party is useless. Go home and let the adults work on solving the real problems, k?
What's my political party?
Even more useless, then.
I've been registered since 1980 as "independent". So, I don't know how to respond to the statement that my "political party is useless". :unsure:
Good for you.

Total aside but this little exchange made this thought pop into my head and I was somewhat tickled by it:
"Independent" is the political affiliation equivalent of being asked what kind of music you like and responding with "The Black Eyed Peas"

Here in the state of California, political power has been in the hands of Democrats for decades (with some exception during the Ahnold years). The state legislature has been almost entirely blue since 1959. The blue wave goes all the down to the city level in many places, San Francisco (once a nice place and now a shithole...literally!) being a prominent example. The problems (crime, drug addiction, homelessness in particular) keep getting worse and worse every year, despite all the money and housing programs being thrown at it by our state and local governments. I don't know what the answer to all this is, but the current strategy sure isn't working. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging, as they say. It may take decades to "put the toothpaste back in the tube", even if we did find the right way to deal with it.

It' almost as if the current state of affairs, the crime, the homelessness and the assault on the working classes with the green build back better bullshit, is deliberate.

Here in the state of California, political power has been in the hands of Democrats for decades (with some exception during the Ahnold years). The state legislature has been almost entirely blue since 1959. The blue wave goes all the down to the city level in many places, San Francisco (once a nice place and now a shithole...literally!) being a prominent example. The problems (crime, drug addiction, homelessness in particular) keep getting worse and worse every year, despite all the money and housing programs being thrown at it by our state and local governments. I don't know what the answer to all this is, but the current strategy sure isn't working. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging, as they say. It may take decades to "put the toothpaste back in the tube", even if we did find the right way to deal with it.

It' almost as if the current state of affairs, the crime, the homelessness and the assault on the working classes with the green build back better bullshit, is deliberate.
Yep, 80 years of systemically dismantling the very concept of modern human civilization for the sake of further enriching a handful of assholes who don't want to pay taxes was the Build Back Better plan all along!

Biden is so nefarious, he built a time machine capable of projecting government policy into the past, and he didn't even use it to stop Lincoln from ending slavery!

He is truly the worst president.

Does political alignment have a big effect on crime rate, as Mr. Swizzle and his ilk seem to suggest? I dunno, but here are some homicide rates. (Cite: https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/crime-rate-by-state) I've painted Red states Red, Blue states Blue, Mormon states Yellow and left swing states uncolored.

Louisiana 12.4
Missouri 9.8
Nevada 9.1
Maryland 9
Arkansas 8.6
Alaska 8.4
Alabama 8.3
Mississippi 8.2
Illinois 7.8
South Carolina 7.8
Tennessee 7.8
New Mexico 7.1
Georgia 6.7
Oklahoma 6.2
Ohio 6.1
Indiana 6
Arizona 5.9
Kentucky 5.9
North Carolina 5.8
Pennsylvania 5.8
Michigan 5.7
Delaware 5.6
Kansas 5.5
Virginia 5.3
Florida 5
Texas 5
West Virginia 4.7
California 4.6
Colorado 3.9
Montana 3.9
New Jersey 3.6
Iowa 3.3
Wisconsin 3.2
Washington 3.1
South Dakota 2.9
Connecticut 2.8
New York 2.8
Hawaii 2.7
Wyoming 2.6
Massachusetts 2.5
Oregon 2.5
Utah 2.4
Nebraska 2.2
Vermont 2.2
Minnesota 2
Idaho 1.9
Rhode Island 1.9
Maine 1.7
North Dakota 1.3
New Hampshire 1

Based on these data, it does not appear that the Marxist shit-hole states have crime rates as high as the Trumpist utopias.

Agreed, Brandon truly is the worst president.
#releasethetimemachine

Which youtube video did you find out about the Biden time machine from? So I know what genius to watch for in the future.

edit to add:
Man, can you even imagine being so incomprehensibly stupid that you think Biden is the worst president? Or even a notably bad one?
It is mind blowing the pants-on-head retardation that would be required to think that.

Meanwhile, there is a massive homeless problem across the United States, not just in California. Ignoring them, jailing them, or letting them die in the streets is not a solution, although that seems to be the Republican program for dealing with the problem. If there is a breakdown in civil order regarding homeless people, it is with the inhumanity that so many people seem to feel when it comes to people who find themselves with no place to live. A large number suffer from drug and alcohol addiction, but the number is nowhere near what the fearmongers claim--somewhere between 25-40%, not the majority. Many even hold down jobs and live out of their cars.

Those who live out of cars need a safe place to park near public facilities where they can safely take care of personal hygiene and perhaps get other social services to help get them back on their feet. In the suburb of Seattle where I live, they are building a safe parking project for such people supported by our tax dollars. A few local churches have programs to help, but they do not provide enough such spaces to accommodate all who need them:

Bellevue to Pilot a Safe Parking Program for Unhoused Residents in Vehicles

Is this just another misguided "woke" project to waste taxpayer dollars? Many people in this city (mainly conservatives) think so, but most people support doing something to help rather than just complaining about the problem and pretending it will go away if we ignore it and persecute those who happen to find their lives in a downward spiral.
Here in the state of California, political power has been in the hands of Democrats for decades (with some exception during the Ahnold years). The state legislature has been almost entirely blue since 1959. The blue wave goes all the down to the city level in many places, San Francisco (once a nice place and now a shithole...literally!) being a prominent example. The problems (crime, drug addiction, homelessness in particular) keep getting worse and worse every year, despite all the money and housing programs being thrown at it by our state and local governments.
You mean they peaked in the 80s like everywhere else and dropped substantially over the next few decades and now numbers are starting to crawl back up? In the meantime, the blue state was the center of the silicon and e booms helping to grow California's GDP into one of the world's largest even when comparing them to the top nations in the world?

Is this the failure of democrat leadership you are talking about?

Yes. This is the democrat leadership I am talking about. Imagine how much further along California would be if we weren't #50 (dead last) in the best states to do business in the US:

The 2020 Best & Worst States For Business

The pandemic cratered economic development for now, but it hasn’t changed CEOs’ opinions about three important things: Texas remains the best place in America to do business, in their eyes; having a capable workforce is still their top concern, despite now-record unemployment; and states’ “blue” political leanings concern them—except when they don’t.

Welcome to Chief Executive’s annual “Best & Worst States for Business” survey, Covid edition. Once again, for the 16th year out of the 16 years we have conducted our poll, Texas ranks No. 1. Despite the shutdown of much of its oil industry by the coronavirus recession, the state retains extremely business-friendly characteristics and policies. The rest of the top 10 states also remained essentially unchanged from the 2019 rankings. Similarly, the bottom 10 in the rankings were relatively frozen, with California once again in last place. (See the full list.)

Meanwhile, there is a massive homeless problem across the United States, not just in California. Ignoring them, jailing them, or letting them die in the streets is not a solution, although that seems to be the Republican program for dealing with the problem. If there is a breakdown in civil order regarding homeless people, it is with the inhumanity that so many people seem to feel when it comes to people who find themselves with no place to live. A large number suffer from drug and alcohol addiction, but the number is nowhere near what the fearmongers claim--somewhere between 25-40%, not the majority. Many even hold down jobs and live out of their cars.

Those who live out of cars need a safe place to park near public facilities where they can safely take care of personal hygiene and perhaps get other social services to help get them back on their feet. In the suburb of Seattle where I live, they are building a safe parking project for such people supported by our tax dollars. A few local churches have programs to help, but they do not provide enough such spaces to accommodate all who need them:

Bellevue to Pilot a Safe Parking Program for Unhoused Residents in Vehicles

Is this just another misguided "woke" project to waste taxpayer dollars? Many people in this city (mainly conservatives) think so, but most people support doing something to help rather than just complaining about the problem and pretending it will go away if we ignore it and persecute those who happen to find their lives in a downward spiral.
Here in the state of California, political power has been in the hands of Democrats for decades (with some exception during the Ahnold years). The state legislature has been almost entirely blue since 1959. The blue wave goes all the down to the city level in many places, San Francisco (once a nice place and now a shithole...literally!) being a prominent example. The problems (crime, drug addiction, homelessness in particular) keep getting worse and worse every year, despite all the money and housing programs being thrown at it by our state and local governments.
You mean they peaked in the 80s like everywhere else and dropped substantially over the next few decades and now numbers are starting to crawl back up? In the meantime, the blue state was the center of the silicon and e booms helping to grow California's GDP into one of the world's largest even when comparing them to the top nations in the world?

Is this the failure of democrat leadership you are talking about?

Yes. This is the democrat leadership I am talking about. Imagine how much further along California would be if we weren't #50 (dead last) in the best states to do business in the US:

The 2020 Best & Worst States For Business

The pandemic cratered economic development for now, but it hasn’t changed CEOs’ opinions about three important things: Texas remains the best place in America to do business, in their eyes; having a capable workforce is still their top concern, despite now-record unemployment; and states’ “blue” political leanings concern them—except when they don’t.

Welcome to Chief Executive’s annual “Best & Worst States for Business” survey, Covid edition. Once again, for the 16th year out of the 16 years we have conducted our poll, Texas ranks No. 1. Despite the shutdown of much of its oil industry by the coronavirus recession, the state retains extremely business-friendly characteristics and policies. The rest of the top 10 states also remained essentially unchanged from the 2019 rankings. Similarly, the bottom 10 in the rankings were relatively frozen, with California once again in last place. (See the full list.)

You are citing a magazine survey alleged to be based on the opinions of less than 700 anonymous "CEOs and business owners". Given the readership, it can hardly be expected to say anything good about states that have strong regulatory practices and high taxes on corporations. Basically, it is a survey of Republicans. That is, California ranks "#50 (dead last) in the best states" to do just about anything as far as Republicans are concerned.

I'm really shocked to hear that. Really shocked! :hysterical: :horsecrap: :slowclap:

A leadership that forces retailers to have “gender neutral” areas for certain products.

Meanwhile the junkies get to shit in the gutter and shoot up heroin in the parks.

Agreed, Brandon truly is the worst president.
Man, can you even imagine being so incomprehensibly stupid that you think Biden is the worst president? Or even a notably bad one?
It is mind blowing the pants-on-head retardation that would be required to think that.

It gets worse. Biden has life-long stutter? That's proof he's demented. Trump brags about passing a test doctors give when checking for senile dementia? His supporters think he aced an IQ test!

Biden names Neil Kinnock as the source of quotes he likes but forgot one time? He's a filthy plagiarist! Melania gives a speech which is Michelle Obama's word for word? You're just jealous you can't afford a hooker that "high-class"!

The more literate Trumpists understand this is "all stinking turds and no elephant" (to paraphrase a famous Texan quote) and is just rhetoric to gull racist idiots who never check fact-based news. But the guy you're arguing with, prideandfall, has never impressed me as being so aware.

I did agree with you Brandon is truly the worst president, evaaaah!!!
The question is "Why?"

Have you ever looked objectively at the state of the USA when Slick Willy Clinton took office compared to when he left?

Have you ever looked objectively at the state of the USA when Bush II took office compared to when he left?

Seriously. Make a comparison of the last several decades, comparing the results of a Republican president versus a Democratic president.
Tom

A leadership that forces retailers to have “gender neutral” areas for certain products.
That did always strike me as rather stupid.

We already have gender neutral clothing departments. It's called "Boys and Menswear".

Tom

That did always strike me as rather stupid.

We already have gender neutral clothing departments. It's called "Boys and Mens".

Tom
The law doesn't apply to clothing retailers, only large department stores, and only certain items like toys and toothbrushes that have no logical need to be gendered at all. If they already have an aisle that could be reasonably construed as gender-neutral, there's no problem; it's stores where every item is aggressively marketed through gender propaganda of some kind that were the issue. Under this law, Target can have boy toothbrushes and girl toothbrushes, they just can't have only boy or girl toothbrushes, there have to be a reasonable number of toothbrushes that aren't gendered, and they all have to be in the same place (in the past stores were able to use gender segregated aisles to disguise how much more expensive girl's products were). If they do already, there's no problem. And there is no problem; the short list of retailers that would have been affected had already made the shift before the bill even became law, so there's been no need to fine anyone. Even if they did, the thought that Target Corp would crumble under the mighty weight of a $250 fine is a bit silly.

The law doesn't apply to clothing retailers, only large department stores, and only certain items like toys and toothbrushes that have no logical need to be gendered at all.

Tell me again.
Who, exactly, needs to protected from gender specific children's toothbrushes and toys?

By law!

Seriously, that still sounds very stupid to me.
Tom

And there is no problem; the short list of retailers that would have been affected had already made the shift before the bill even became law, so there's been no need to fine anyone.

So what we're really talking about is a bunch of politically correct virtue signaling by Californian politicians?

A lot of Sound and fury, signifying nothing...

Tom

And there is no problem; the short list of retailers that would have been affected had already made the shift before the bill even became law, so there's been no need to fine anyone.

So what we're really talking about is a bunch of politically correct virtue signaling by Californian politicians?

A lot of Sound and fury, signifying nothing...

Tom
No, just communication with retailers via the mechanism of state law. The (salutory, imo) changes did occur, it just wasn't as dramatic as right-wing rags wanted to make it out to be. It was a reasonable change, so there was no reason for the businesses themselves to make a fuss over it. Gently regulating businesses is a normal thing for a state to do, and here in California we tend to believe they should act in the best interest of consumers when possible.

By the way, the phrase "politically correct" is extinct, you funny old dinosaur you. Don't you know you're supposed to call it "woke bullshit" now?

Back
Top Bottom