• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cancel Culture

I'd be interested in the perspective of Politesse about attacks on Academia. The more I read into it, the more it seems that what's kosher to study and publish is very political for this very reason. I bought a book recently called 'The Sociobiological Imagination' which discussed this - how other fields have reacted to the issue of biological determinism. This strain of thought in academia is unpopular, despite maybe being more accurate than some past theories disciplines have held.
It likewise seems largely overblown, at least to me. I've heard the same horror stories of professors being fired over "misunderstandings" as anyone else, but even these often seem a lot less extreme if you do the work of figuring out exactly what happened and on what timeline. I see no substantive evidence that research on any meaningful topic is being hindered by "Woke" criticism. Popularity is another matter, but I don't consider simple unpopularity to be a form of censorship.

Whether it's easy or fair trying to get anything worthwhile published these days is another matter entirely, but political correctness is the last reason why.

Last edited:
I've never understood why people think cancel culture is a new thing. It's at least as old as the Roman Republic and the Greek City States.

Pete Seeger and Lee Hays were identified as Communist Party USA members by FBI informant Harvey Matusow (who later recanted) and were called to testify to the House Committee on Un-American Activities in 1955. Hays took the Fifth Amendment,[6] which allows people not to give evidence against themselves, so they could not be prosecuted without other witnesses.[7] Seeger refused to answer, however, claiming First Amendment grounds, the first to do so after the conviction of the Hollywood Ten in 1950. Seeger was found guilty of contempt and placed under restrictions by the court pending appeal, but in 1961 his conviction was overturned on technical grounds.[8] Because Seeger was among those listed in the entertainment industry blacklist publication, Red Channels, all of the Weavers were placed under FBI surveillance and not allowed to perform on television or radio during the McCarthy era. Decca Records terminated their recording contract and deleted their records from its catalog in 1953.[9] Their recordings were denied airplay, which curtailed their income from royalties. Right-wing and anti-Communist groups protested at their performances and harassed promoters. As a result, the group's economic viability diminished rapidly and in 1952 it disbanded.[5] After this, Pete Seeger continued his solo career, although as with all of them, he continued to suffer from the effects of blacklisting.

I've never understood why people think cancel culture is a new thing. It's at least as old as the Roman Republic and the Greek City States.

Pete Seeger and Lee Hays were identified as Communist Party USA members by FBI informant Harvey Matusow (who later recanted) and were called to testify to the House Committee on Un-American Activities in 1955. Hays took the Fifth Amendment,[6] which allows people not to give evidence against themselves, so they could not be prosecuted without other witnesses.[7] Seeger refused to answer, however, claiming First Amendment grounds, the first to do so after the conviction of the Hollywood Ten in 1950. Seeger was found guilty of contempt and placed under restrictions by the court pending appeal, but in 1961 his conviction was overturned on technical grounds.[8] Because Seeger was among those listed in the entertainment industry blacklist publication, Red Channels, all of the Weavers were placed under FBI surveillance and not allowed to perform on television or radio during the McCarthy era. Decca Records terminated their recording contract and deleted their records from its catalog in 1953.[9] Their recordings were denied airplay, which curtailed their income from royalties. Right-wing and anti-Communist groups protested at their performances and harassed promoters. As a result, the group's economic viability diminished rapidly and in 1952 it disbanded.[5] After this, Pete Seeger continued his solo career, although as with all of them, he continued to suffer from the effects of blacklisting.
Yes, in the years McCarthy controlled the House Un-American Activities Committee was cancel culture on steroids. The damage it did to the hundreds of blacklisted people puts the fate of doctor Jeffrey Lieberman, unjustified as it is, in the shade.

I know that people have been shut out, cancelled or whatever you want to call it prior to now. I was only interested in discussing this newest version of cancel culture, not what happened 70 or 700 years ago. I guess I had foolishly hoped we had learned from the past so this new era of diminishing the worth of respectable people was very disappointing to me. Plus, it's been getting a lot of attention lately. To me, it's sad that we can't learn from each other and forgive each other when there is a misunderstanding or in some cases, simply ignorance.

@southernhybrid, I do agree with you. The example of cancel culture cited in the OP is an absurd, unjustified reaction to what at worst can be described a result of tone deafness.

This, however, is just silly.
...the spike in crime in the. US...
Crime rates in the US have almost halved in the past 30 years. If there has been an increase in the most recent two and a bit years not shown on the graph, my guess is it can at most be described as a spikelet.

Violent-crimes-per-100-000-population-in-the-USA-1960-2019.png
Your graph ends in 2019. The big surge in violent crime began around 2020. I wake up each day to read of the most violent, insane things happening in Atlanta almost everyday. For example, this morning a customer shot a clerk in a store over a disagreement, and someone on a major interstate in ATL pulled up next to a car full of strangers and began randomly shooting, injuring 3 occupants. This is worrisome. Yes! We have too many guns in the US, but why are so many people so attached to their guns and so ready to use them over minor incidents! And, maybe you are correct and this is only a temporary spike. I've just never known of so many crazy acts of violence happening so frequently. Maybe the pandemic has made people nuts! Who knows?

On top of that we have the war in Ukraine, instituted by an obvious sociopath. Will the world remain in strong opposition to Putin or is this the beginning of something worse? Maybe Orwell was right and he just had the wrong year. I hope your are correct, but I'm not feeling very upbeat about the future of the world lately.

But back to the purpose of this thread. I would just like to see people be more understanding and forgiving when someone says something that they don't like or perhaps they don't understand. I think you get that.
Thanks for the snark. It adds so much to the discussion. /s.

You're welcome. :)

Did you bother to read the link in the OP? If so, explain to me why you think it's okay to fire and destroy the reputation of a person who has served his community as both an academic and a physician for many years, due to one stupid tweet, even after the man apologized and admitted he was wrong for saying what he did?

Did you bother to read any of my comments? Please show me where I said any variation of, "it's okay to fire and destroy the reputation of a person who has served his community as both an academic and a physician for many years, due to one stupid tweet, even after the man apologized and admitted he was wrong for saying what he did."

Yes, I read the link. I agree that it was probably wrong for the hospital to fire Dr. Liberman. (The university lifted his suspension.) Very unfair, probably. But he's still ok. He's not on the streets or bereft, and he's still working as a professor.

It would be great if you could be at least as concerned about a real aspect of culture that is ok with brutalizing women and children and the thousands of women who are harassed, stalked, terrorized, abused, and murdered as you are about affluent white doctors getting fired from their hospital job but not their professor job and who are still generally fine. Social media is also used by men who use technology and social media to access their targets and do things like post photos of women naked to shame them for having bodies. But I don't think that's the kind of cruelty that really grabs your outrage.

Society at large, at least the status quo, mainstream society that holds the bulk of power in our institutions, finds shaming and punishing women acceptable and going easy on men who abuse women. No one has to claim some ideological boogieman. We know who overwhelmingly does these things.

What part of culture would support these things going on and on with seemingly no end in sight?

What part of our culture favors and protects men, even violent predators?

What part of our culture demeans women and is slow to respond to violence against them?

No need for social media, either. This was happening long before the internet existed.

That's really the type of cancelling that I was interested in exploring when I started this thread.

There's gonna be reactive stuff arising, right or wrong. One reactive act was the hospital that fired Dr. Lieberman. Maybe they shouldn't have. But either way, he's fine. He's not ruined. He didn't seem to mind what people said about him when he supported Trump and tried to cancel doctors of actual relevant disciplines who warned about Trump's mental issues and fascist tendencies.

I am fully aware that people, including minorities and women have suffered from prejudice, hate etc. for hundreds of years. I get it,

No, you don't.

but since when do two wrongs make a right?

That's not what's happening.

I'm not a vengeful person. That may be why I have difficulty understanding this crazy condemning of anyone who says something that is't politically correct,

If you think racist comments are simply "not politically correct," then, no, you don't get it.

And vengeance is white supremacists digging up and revitalizing a racist, hate based movement reflecting an old, losing war to protect one of the most vile and depraved of institutions.

You are part of a society and your every choice and attitude toward others reverberates. If I had to choose a group to be unfairly affected by choices and attitudes reverberating through society, amplified by social media, I'd pick affluent white people. Not because they deserve it, but because by and large they can withstand it. Nobody's literally chasing them down and murdering them in the street for their comments, much less for the color of their skin.

which is often done out of simple ignorance, not out of hate or prejudice.

I agree. It's when they're brought to task on it and instead of apologizing and humbling themselves they dig in with defensiveness and excuses and NO intention of learning anything.

And guess what? A lot of minorities don't like being told by white people what they should be insulted by.

Can you show me a white person telling minorities what they should be insulted by? I can show you people who understand the power of words and attitudes reverberating through society and having by orders of magnitude much worse consequences on your fellow human beings than being insulted.

And that is not so much insulting as it is abhorrent and wrong. Do you understand the difference?

Do you understand that not saying certain things is far easier than saying them and potentially contributing to harm done to human beings? Even if I shared your contempt for people who are not like you or not mainstream or do not fit the status quo, I'd still always have that question in my mind of just how certain am I that my words won't contribute to harm done to others? Is the urge to assert my opinion really so important that I would choose to potentially contribute to a culture of racism? No. No, it fucking isn't.

If you're busy whitewashing bigotry and believing racism doesn't exist except in the most extreme and obvious cases, then maybe you deserve to be ruined when you test out that belief.

Nobody, even Black people, needs to tell me that words and attitudes reverberate and potentially contribute to harming others. No one needs to tell me that even just the potential of contributing to those well known streams of bigotry and violence is enough for me to easily choose to simply not say things even if they were my own views. It's a no-brainer.

When I talk about racism, I only talk to white people. White people are the ones who need to be told some things. Black people don't need my words at all, of any kind, opinion, advice, anything, and I don't give them to them. The only thing they need from me is to not contribute to the racist society that punishes them by every means possible, at minimum. At most, they need for me to turn my voice toward other white people, which I do. Black people who speak on racism often ask white people to talk to other white people about how our society and its institutions are fundamentally racist, and to hold other white people accountable, which I do.

It's one thing to defend and be supportive of others when asked or when needed. It's another thing to patronize them by telling them they are victims.

Is that what you do? Because it's not what I do. What I do is challenge other white people to humble themselves and listen to people of color. They have so much that they can teach us. You don't even have to pester any Black person to teach you. You have at your fingertips a whole universe of Black people talking. On Youtube alone, there are bajillions of Black people with channels dedicated to racism and other social issues, some of them specializing in talking to white people.

White people have a hard time humbling themselves. Other human beings are just not worth the effort, I guess. I don't even know how most of the white people I know could even recognize what humility is. Most of us have been raised to believe that humbling yourself equates to humiliation, which is a word we define a little differently, to mean something cruel that someone does to another person or that society does to a person and is not desirable, not something a person does to themselves as an act of self reflection and desire to be more than just an obedient animal walking upright and emitting human words out of their face.

When did it become unacceptable to forgive someone after they apologized for making a dumb mistake?

Meaningless question. It's not unacceptable to forgive someone after they apologized. No one thinks that. It's also not a given that every apology should be met with forgiveness.

I don't know why you seem to refuse to understand the points I'm trying to make, but based on some of the above comments, it's obvious that you don't, as you've taken many things out of context. No! I'm not equating racist comments with being politically incorrect. Sorry if I didn't do a good job of expressing myself.

I've stood up to white people who made racist remarks since I was a teenager, including a former supervisor when I worked in public health in the late 70s. But you know what? That supervisor was a good person who treated her Black employees and patients with the utmost care and respect. She simply used a racist term, mostly out of ignorance and I told her she was wrong for doing it. She grew up in a small rural southern town. I made her think and she never took it out on me. My point is that sometimes people don't realize the impact of their words. It's fine to correct them, to discuss what was wrong with what they said. But, don't judge one's total character based on one stupid remark. Educate them. Enlighten them. If they realized they were wrong, then forgive them. You have no idea what I've done over the course of my life, just as I don't know what you do in your personal life. You've misinterpreted a few things I've said and I've apologized for not expressing myself clearly. I know you've been through a terrible time lately and I can only wish you the best and hope that in the future we can discuss something without misunderstanding each other. Now I know why so few people are willing to start threads.

Again, all I was asking when I started this thread, is it okay to remove someone from their job, and damage their reputation based on one dumb comment that they made? You agreed that it's wrong. Thanks for answering. I'm well aware that women and minorities are often brutally attacked, murdered etc. but what does that have to do with this subject? We can discuss those problems if you'd like, but that was never the purpose of this thread.

We know it's not a new thing, but it's certainly been revived. I was born during the McCarthy era. It's been a long time since I've seen book banning and people being ostracized based on some remarks they made, even when those remarks or opinions were never meant to be insulting, racist or sexist. Someone else suggested I start a thread on this topic. I guess I shouldn't have honored that request. :)

We know it's not a new thing, but it's certainly been revived. I was born during the McCarthy era. It's been a long time since I've seen book banning and people being ostracized based on some remarks they made, even when those remarks or opinions were never meant to be insulting, racist or sexist. Someone else suggested I start a thread on this topic. I guess I shouldn't have honored that request. :)

It's an interesting thread, with some good points raised, but the social science forum here seems to struggle with the social science part.

From what I can tell we have a lot of posters at IIDB who are versed in politics, but social science.. not so much.

The social sciences are an increasingly obscure body of knowledge (themselves frequently subject to "cancellation" if by cancellation one means as above unpopularity in the public sphere, attacks from political media outlets, social media, etc).

The social sciences are an increasingly obscure body of knowledge.

The only reason I've had a whiff of it is via my access to a university library. Not many people can afford to buy these titles (or would buy them) without trialing them, and many public libraries may not even have them.

A lot of Black people have been critical of cancel culture, including one of my friends. We discussed one of McWhorter's recent articles the other day. McWhorter was saying that old books that used the words, "colored people" should not be cancelled as some have been. That usage was acceptable back in the day, despite it no longer being acceptable. His points are often about how words and actions that in their time were considered normal or acceptable are not any longer. We should take that into consideration before we cancel something.

In the 19th century, Mark Twain used the word "nigger" deliberately, intending its connotations. Yet he and his books were the opposite of racist.

Is Huckleberry Finn still taught in high schools? It is a real shame to cancel this book, one of the greatest novels ever.
Ernest Hemingway said:
All modern literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn… It's the best book we've had. All American writing comes from that. There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good since.

Is Huckleberry Finn still taught in high schools? It is a real shame to cancel this book, one of the greatest novels ever.

Raised by white racist admirers of Mark Twain, I prefer to think that the epiphanies of Huck Finn regarding race were not an unintended consequence. It evoked my first real visceral anger at the treatment of blacks.
It would not surprise me if it was banned (cancelled) in some regions of the US.

Yes, Huckleberry Finn is still taught in high schools commonly across America, though not as many as in former times. Though, if you think that it's status as the bestest book ever is something that should be assumed beyond question, or that we shouldn't critique Twain's use of either language or the character of Jim more generally, I am not sure your high school teacher did their due diligence in walking you through it critically. It's interesting that here, on a forum with no language restrictions I'm aware of, most of our adult posters would be too bashful or polite to use the word nigger directly. But, you're fine with the implications of including it in a classroom context where a teacher may or may not be trying to ensure respectful use of the term and (more importantly to my view) its brutal original context.

For the record, I also think its a good book, and I don't mind it's being used as a textbook. But, we should be mature enough to realize that one social class' twee coming-of-age novel could, from the perspective of the social group mocked and used as a disposable resource in its pages, come across as just another weapon lodged against them, and adjust our approach to curriculum accordingly. I would not want Finn to be the only book a child ever reads about the enslaved South, for instance. And considering the problems it routinely causes, I would think twice about using it in my own classroom. There are other good coming-of-age novels, and definitely other good novels about race in the South. Why put my black students in an ugly situation for little reason, when alternatives are easily available?

Yes, I understand Politesse. It was my own over-indulgence in nostalgia that led me to a too-simplistic one-sided view. This same "nostalgia" (if that's how to describe it) makes me resent the denigration of the great Thomas Jefferson.

At first I was disgusted to read that an addition of Huck Finn replaces each 'nigger' with 'slave,' but perhaps that's a good compromise.

Huckleberry Finn, Of Mice and Men, and To Kill a Mockingbird have been challenged and/or banned in some school districts.

Yes, I understand Politesse. It was my own over-indulgence in nostalgia that led me to a too-simplistic one-sided view. This same "nostalgia" (if that's how to describe it) makes me resent the denigration of the great Thomas Jefferson.

At first I was disgusted to read that an addition of Huck Finn replaces each 'nigger' with 'slave,' but perhaps that's a good compromise.
There is no good compromise in adulterating literature. Better to exclude the book than to degrade it.

Any book included in a curriculum is a teaching tool. Properly taught, any of those books is a good addition to the curriculum. Literature teaches us about the human condition within the contexts of the time and place of the story. Any book that is not taught properly is a poor addition to the curriculum.

Banning a book or taking it out of the curriculum because of the imagined effects from poor teaching is an insult to the teachers and to basic reasoning.

Oh yeah, the Jefferson problem. Unlike Huck Finn, that one I actually do have to tackle in the classroom, as Jefferson was an influential figure in early US anthropology/archaeology and thus hard to avoid having a conversation about. I try to err on the side of "don't censor the good, but don't censor the bad either".

Any book included in a curriculum is a teaching tool. Properly taught, any of those books is a good addition to the curriculum. Literature teaches us about the human condition within the contexts of the time and place of the story. Any book that is not taught properly is a poor addition to the curriculum.

Banning a book or taking it out of the curriculum because of the imagined effects from poor teaching is an insult to the teachers and to basic reasoning.
I think most educators, at least, would agree with you on that. Book banning is a sledgehammer approach to claw hammer problem, and it creates as many issues as it could possibly resolve. Alas, we're never the only voices in the conversation. Whether public or private, school content becomes a matter demanding of a public policy statement the second a complaint is lodged, and those who need to make the call don't always gravitate toward nuance. Simpler to just say "it's all good" or "it's all bad" and refuse to budge.

Why put my black students in an ugly situation for little reason, when alternatives are easily available?
Far far beyond my pay grade to answer that. (Why you get the big bucks, right?)
I was never assigned to read HF. My mother told me it was a great book, and I read it best I could (almost as well as I could now) at about seven years of age.

In addition to being really saddened and angered by it, it made me laugh and introduced me to "gage". Not only introduced, by made some recommendations that I would take up a decade or so later, regarding the separation of "light gage" from the "heavy gage".

For the life of me, I'm uncertain why Huck Finn is taught in High School (I even had it in the curricula for a lit class I took in college). Certainly Huck Finn could be a middle school book. We read To Kill a Mockingbird in 8th grade, and I don't think I really was ready for it. Huck Finn would work ones way up to that.

Again, often my problem with "cancel" is the reason for it. Is a book being banned because of intent of the author or intent of the reader. And altering a work, that seems very problematic.

Maybe schools could assign some of Twain's work, along with Frederick Douglas, outstanding book, "Narrative of a Slave". I've read that two or three times and I think everyone should read it at least once. But, some of those on the right, don't want the little kiddos to feel bad about being white. Where did the silly notion come from! There is no reason why anyone should feel bad about the color of their skin. We should all be outraged that some people have been treated poorly due to the color of their skin.

The book that made me the maddest was the contemporary book, "White Rage", written by Carol Anderson, a black woman who teaches at Emory. It's a non fiction book about the history of racism throughout the country, not, just in the old South. She opened my eyes to some horrid things that happened as former slaves made their way to the Northern parts of the country. It's an excellent book, one that would be good to include in US History classes. In the current climate, red states would do their best to forbid these books to be part of a high school curriculum. That's cancel culture coming from the right. I hope nobody cancels the author for using the term "slaves" instead of enslaved people. ;)

And, now that I think about it, children should be taught about how many immigrants have been treated as they entered the country, including the Irish and the Polish. I once saw a sign when I was researching racism and xenophobia that read, "No Blacks, no dogs and no Irish. Decades ago, I was at a wedding reception where almost everyone at the table was bashing the Irish. Considering that I had a grandfather who was the son of an Irish immigrant, I listened quietly and then said, "Oh, by the way, I'm Irish". Those at my table were so embarrassed they didn't know what to say, while I felt very satisfied. I know damn well that white immigrants haven't been treated as poorly as African, Hispanic or Middle Eastern immigrants, but sadly, there has always been plenty of hate to go around.

Back
Top Bottom