• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Celebrate World Homeopathy Awareness Week with homeopathyawarenessweek.org

phands

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Hardcore Atheist
http://boingboing.net/2014/04/12/celebrate-world-homeopathy-awa.html

Love it....giving the homeocretins a good kicking....

It's World Homeopathy Awareness Week, so the Good Thinking Society (a nonprofit devoted to promoting rational thought) has put up a new site at homeopathyawarenessweek.org in which you will be made aware of a bunch of facts that homeopathy advocates are often slow to mention -- like adults and children who've died because they were treated with homeopathic sugar-pills, the tragic foolishness of Homeopaths Without Borders, who are memorably described as "well-meaning folk [who fly] into places of crisis in the developing world carrying suitcases full of homeopathic tablets that contain nothing but sugar. It is not so much Médecins Sans Frontières as Médecins Sans Medicine."

More at the above link.

Homeopathy awareness week?

Is that when we are supposed to try to raise awareness of how useless it is?

Homeopathy awareness week?

Is that when we are supposed to try to raise awareness of how useless it is?

I honestly can't tell if the site of World Homeopathy Awareness Week is cynical or sincere.

This page: http://www.worldhomeopathy.org/inde...good-reasons&catid=9:uncategorised&Itemid=435 "12 Good Reasons About Homeopathy".... The title doesn't parse. Good reasons....to use H? To feel good about H?
To avoid H?

1. NO HARMFUL SIDE EFFECTS - Yes. Nothing, taking in responsible doses, does lead to nothing...
2. GENTLE - Can't really imagine someone shouting "CLEAR!" and pummeling a patient in a homeopathy crisis.
3. HOLISTIC - A word i remember from my New Age days.
4. INEXPENSIVE - Water rates are stable even in this economy....
5. PREVENTATIVE- You're really well positioned for your body to take care of itself in the next crisis, by being forced to take care of itself in this one.
6. NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS - SEE? SEE? How the HELL are we supposed to tell if this is sarcasm or not?
7. EASY TO TAKE - Just a spoonful of sugar helps the 1cc of sugar go down....
8. PATIENT INVOLVEMENT - Placebos DO need you to understand what you're not taking.
9. INVALUABLE FOR FIRST AID - This one slays me.
10. THE MEDICINE OF THE FUTURE - Similar claims were made by every snake oil salesman between here and the Civil War....
11. RESEARCH
12. SCIENCE Maybe it's just me, as the son of a pharmacist, and ggrandson of a pharmacist, but i'd like to think that science was the 1st goodest reason to accept (or reject) anything.

Homeopathic sleeping pills? Pretty much harmless, but I've seen a homeopathic inhaler for asthma, and that shit is just crying for a class action lawsuit. I was having a cat allergy reaction, and I was glad I read the fine print.

Surely the only activity for Homeopathy awareness week should consist of posting out billions of completely blank fliers, that were once carried past a printing press. If that doesn't raise awareness, then there is something seriously wrong with the whole idea.

I propose homeopathy awareness should be diluted in one tenth part per million. :D

I propose homeopathy awareness should be diluted in one tenth part per million. :D

If we take it to the recommended 30C dilution that would be 1 homeopathy awareness per 100 cubic light years. This sounded suitably silly until I realised the only place with any awareness of this nonsense in that volume is right here.....
So we have to dilute the awareness amongst the planetary population, taken to the recommended 30C again that would be one aware person per 10^54 people, making it very unlikely that there would be one such person amongst the 7^9 people on earth :D

If we take it to the recommended 30C dilution that would be 1 homeopathy awareness per 100 cubic light years. This sounded suitably silly until I realised the only place with any awareness of this nonsense in that volume is right here.....
So we have to dilute the awareness amongst the planetary population, taken to the recommended 30C again that would be one aware person per 10^54 people, making it very unlikely that there would be one such person amongst the 7^9 people on earth :D

Actually there are 7x109 people on Earth, which is almost 200 times as many as 79; nonetheless, there is still only about a 1:1045 chance that there is someone alive who fits the bill...

The Two Rules of Homeopathy:

1. To cure something, take what causes it.

2. Don't do that.

So, I was recently listening to a skeptic podcast (a 2006 edition of SGU) and I heard them not just stating flatly that there is no evidence for homeopathy, and it makes no sense since if you dilute something that much all you'll have is water, but they also went on to express confusion over why would anybody believe it.

I don't think its that un-intuitive. It sounds a little like immunization, building an immunity, prompting your body to fight something by giving it small doses of that something, so it can kick into overdrive and fight bigger cases of that same something. I sort of see why it catches on amongst those who want to believe it.

How many homeopaths does it take to screw in a light bulb?

And how do they get in the light bulb? Another problem: why would someone engage in homeopathic sex?

I don't think its that un-intuitive. It sounds a little like immunization, building an immunity, prompting your body to fight something by giving it small doses of that something, so it can kick into overdrive and fight bigger cases of that same something. I sort of see why it catches on amongst those who want to believe it.
Except, you're not getting small doses of the bad thing to build an immunity. You're getting doses of water that was once next to the bad thing, hoping water remembers the bad thing in a way that helps you.

But, if water has memory, and there's only a finite amount of the stuff on the planet, then the water in my tap could equally remember being Woolly Rhinocerous piss, and Allosaurus saliva, and Julius Caesar's sweat.
It should remember being in a puddle during the Black Plauge and an eddy in rivers that ran with blood, brain fluid in Manson, Typhoid Mary's blood, and rain on the roofs of Auschwitz....

How do you make water forget being off the Bikini Island Atoll but remember having shaken hands with a remedy?

Except, you're not getting small doses of the bad thing to build an immunity. You're getting doses of water that was once next to the bad thing, hoping water remembers the bad thing in a way that helps you.

But, if water has memory, and there's only a finite amount of the stuff on the planet, then the water in my tap could equally remember being Woolly Rhinocerous piss, and Allosaurus saliva, and Julius Caesar's sweat.
It should remember being in a puddle during the Black Plauge and an eddy in rivers that ran with blood, brain fluid in Manson, Typhoid Mary's blood, and rain on the roofs of Auschwitz....

How do you make water forget being off the Bikini Island Atoll but remember having shaken hands with a remedy?

It stands to reason that ALL water;

(1) Has already been in contact with ALL homeopathic remedies and
(2) has had its strength increased by dilution by a far greater amount than any homeopath would have the patience to do.

Therefore EVERY homeopathic treatment for EVERY condition is available, free of charge (from homeopaths at least) and at full strength, from your tap.

Back
Top Bottom