• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

China to send crewed missions to Moon AND Mars!

The GAO in the past has said in the long run NASA has stimulated more tax revenue than the NASA budget.

The problem is can humans live off planet in any significant numbers. I doubt it.

What do you do about sex?
Abstinence my dear fellow. Abstinence.

Why would they need abstinence? I see no problem with sex in outer space or on Mars or the moon.

The GAO in the past has said in the long run NASA has stimulated more tax revenue than the NASA budget.

The problem is can humans live off planet in any significant numbers. I doubt it.

Why would they need abstinence? I see no problem with sex in outer space or on Mars or the moon.
I was responding to Steve B.
Sex (and its consequences) raises all sorts of issues - medical, social, emotional, logistical etc. that need to be thought of ahead of time. It would be very difficult to craft a solution to a baby whilst on a trip to Mars for example.

Sex (and its consequences) raises all sorts of issues - medical, social, emotional, logistical etc. that need to be thought of ahead of time. It would be very difficult to craft a solution to a baby whilst on a trip to Mars for example.

If they are going to have missions to Mars and in particular set up bases there people are going to have sex.

You have not socialized much.

Starting at puberty the sex drive is always there until we die, with ensuing conflicts.

If you gave 10 guys and 9 girls and one guy is left out of sex what harpoons socially?

What happens if a guy becomes abusive and aggressive?

And then there is religion. Is somebody excluded for being an Evangelical who wants to spread the gospels around the solar system?

Who wants to spend two years in a confined space being preached to?

Do you exclude a conservative Muslim who opposes fornication?

If we go to the Moon and Mars we inevitably bring all o0ur social issues.

Starting at puberty the sex drive is always there until we die, with ensuing conflicts.

If you gave 10 guys and 9 girls and one guy is left out of sex what harpoons socially?

And then there is religion. Is somebody excluded for being an Evangelical who wants to spread the gospels around the solar system?

I think you replied to the wrong poster.

The resources that it would require to safely put a handful of residents on the moon could probably fund vaccination for all humans. A Mars colony would probably cost more than supplying safe drinking water to the whole 3rd world.
I think you overestimate the cost of manned spaceflight.

The entire Apollo program cost less than American women spent in 1969 alone on lipstick (not on cosmetics in general, just lipstick), but we don't hear people whining that women should eschew makeup while people in South Sudan lack access to safe drinking water.

Doing stuff like painting ourselves unnatural colours, eating until it kills us, or strolling around the Sea of Tranquility, may be a powerful demonstration of our irrational sense of priorities, but it's that very irrationality that is the essence of being human.

:D You're getting a little out of hand dude. I remember as a kid in the early '70's we had an astronaut come to our elementary school. I wish I could remember who it was, but I believe he had already been in space, or was in training to go soon. Anyway, there was a Q & A session at the end, and someone asked what the biggest problem was being confined in a small space capsule with others. He said, the B.O. We all laughed our ass off. Is B.O. still a thing up in space in 2024?! :confused2: I remember one girl raised her hand, and her question was, "Are you married?!" :facepalm:

:D You're getting a little out of hand dude. I remember as a kid in the early '70's we had an astronaut come to our elementary school. I wish I could remember who it was, but I believe he had already been in space, or was in training to go soon. Anyway, there was a Q & A session at the end, and someone asked what the biggest problem was being confined in a small space capsule with others. He said, the B.O. We all laughed our ass off. Is B.O. still a thing up in space in 2024?! :confused2: I remember one girl raised her hand, and her question was, "Are you married?!" :facepalm:

These guys were in space for a few days. If people are going to Mars and set up bases there, they will be away from earth for months and years. BO will not be their only problem.

Menstruation would be problematic in microgravity. Realistically, that means either suppressing menstruation with hormones (which also provides hormonal birth control) or it means menstrual extraction. And menstrual extraction will terminate a pregnancy.

Menstruation would be problematic in microgravity. Realistically, that means either suppressing menstruation with hormones (which also provides hormonal birth control) or it means menstrual extraction. And menstrual extraction will terminate a pregnancy.
Well, one day when women become astronauts they’ll have to figure out how to deal with that on Earth orbit first.

Well, one day when women become astronauts they’ll have to figure out how to deal with that on Earth orbit first.
:ROFLMAO: I think Loren hasn't updated his calendar since 1983. I wonder if he knows Reagan is no longer in office? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom