• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Chinese anti-black racism

Overall, I highly doubt a significant enough amount of the Chinese population is actually racist (by Transatlantic slave trade standards).
On the right is the original - on the right side is "Finn" - a black character

Anyway. The black Character is still there. Who they actually removed was Chewbacca.
Poor Chewie just can't catch a break. First, no medal at the end of A New Hope, and now this. :pouting:

If the OP's right about the Chinese being racist against blacks, them actually keeping the black guy and kicking off Chewbacca makes it more of an insult.

That's not The Karate Kid. That is Will and Jada's low-talent child cosplaying.
Actually your statement is not entirely true. He did play the Karate Kid in a recent remake. You do have it right though, that he is a low talent child. There is an earlier remake where the Karate Kid is a girl, played by Hillary Swank. I'll leave it to your imagination regarding the race and gender of the next Karate Kid remake.
Yes, because if we don't have a white boy playing the role of the martial arts student... it must be woke. Because white boys doing Asian martial arts is so much less ridiculous than black boys.
"Silly Caucasian girl likes to play with samurai swords."

MEDIAM_81d3e27b-7328-4917-9228-a5d3fd6260ee_01.jpg

What was really ridiculous was making a "Karate Kid" movie about a Kung Fu student. That's got to count as racist...

Meanwhile I await excreationist's next post of an AI's censoring of the Star Wars poster based on Chinese standards.
China is very racist, period.

My wife has a relative that doesn't want some more distant relatives to know that my wife married outside her race--he sees that as a negative that reflects negatively on him. (And I'm white, not black!)
That's silly, you can't discriminate against me, I'm white.
The point is that it's not confined to blacks. There's some pretty major racism against anyone who isn't Chinese.
I know, I get it, but there is a lot more beneath the layers. I can only imagine being black or Hispanic in America and reading that from a White person.
If the OP's right about the Chinese being racist against blacks, them actually keeping the black guy and kicking off Chewbacca makes it more of an insult.
You know, personally, I think Finn was worse than Jar Jar Binks, by a good deal. His character, or lack of any, was one of the worst things in the latest trilogy. If only Rose had let him die, or killed him straight up instead of shocking him, or if he actually died after getting split open like a T-day turkey by Kylo... we literally had all these chances to end Finn... and nothing came of them! Oi!

So if we must erase anyone... Finn would be a great choice.

Anyway. The black Character is still there. Who they actually removed was Chewbacca.
You're right!!! Well it was a YouTube video who said that Finn was removed so I believed them....

BTW the Karate Kid movie set in China has a black main character.... then he gets a Chinese girlfriend....

5f9dbcc1ce694bfd05e743425c620d62.jpg
Actually your statement is not entirely true. He did play the Karate Kid in a recent remake. You do have it right though, that he is a low talent child. There is an earlier remake where the Karate Kid is a girl, played by Hillary Swank. I'll leave it to your imagination regarding the race and gender of the next Karate Kid remake.
I know he played the Karate Kid in a remake. I was taking a swipe at him and the remake film, in which he does not even learn karate in the plot.

BTW the Karate Kid movie set in China has a black main character.... then he gets a Chinese girlfriend....

For someone who has championed protecting children from CRT and sex talks you sure are mean to them.
I knew somebody would say something like this, but I expected it to be Toni. I'm not sure where you are getting this 'sex talks' business from. What 'sex talks' have I suggested children need protection from? And as for protecting children from CRT - since the left agrees nobody anywhere in the United States has ever taught a primary or secondary school child CRT nor have they ever been influenced by its ideology, it seems like it is the left that agrees that children should not be taught CRT.

Yes, I was mean to Jaden Smith. I wouldn't have said mean things to his face. But I suspect Jaden Smith is too busy counting his millions and being 24 years old and lacking time travel to have his childhood feelings be hurt.

You're right!!! Well it was a YouTube video who said that Finn was removed so I believed them....
Finn's original level of prominence was reduced in the Chinese poster compared the original American poster, and it was indeed to cater to Chinese audiences.

Yes, because if we don't have a white boy playing the role of the martial arts student... it must be woke. Because white boys doing Asian martial arts is so much less ridiculous than black boys.
In Australia in the 1980s and 1990s, many non-Asian heritage children did martial arts. I recall taekwondo and karate were the most popular.

Finn's original level of prominence was reduced in the Chinese poster compared the original American poster, and it was indeed to cater to Chinese audiences.

In your eyes that's the case. In my eyes the Chinese version seems more symmetrical. If they did it for the reasons you claim how do you explain Chewie getting the 🪓and not the Finn?

In your eyes that's the case. In my eyes the Chinese version seems more symmetrical. If they did it for the reasons you claim how do you explain Chewie getting the 🪓and not the Finn?
Why would that need to be something to be 'explained' in conjunction with Finn's demotion? I don't know why they removed Chewbacca.

American television is saturated with 'queer' characters compared to American blockbuster movies. Ever wondered why that is? Because American blockbuster movies need to be marketed all over the world, especially China.

Why would that need to be something to be 'explained' in conjunction with Finn's demotion? I don't know why they removed Chewbacca.

American television is saturated with 'queer' characters compared to American blockbuster movies. Ever wondered why that is? Because American blockbuster movies need to be marketed all over the world, especially China.
Is American television saturated with queer characters?

I hadn’t noticed that to be especially true.

EDIT: You dishonestly asked a question based on a claim I did not make. I said it was saturated with queer characters compared to American blockbuster movies. However, given the below, I am willing to upgrade the claim without qualification as a comparison, because queer characters are over-represented compared to US population estimates.
I'm surprised you failed to notice. Did you watch television in the 1980s or 1990s? Do you watch it now?

A new report has found LGBT representation on US TV is at a high, with nearly 12% of regular characters who are LGBT, up 2.8% from last year.

I'm surprised you failed to notice. Did you watch television in the 1980s or 1990s? Do you watch it now?

A new report has found LGBT representation on US TV is at a high, with nearly 12% of regular characters who are LGBT, up 2.8% from last year.

I'm certain that black people appearing on TV was at a all time high at some point in American TV history. Hell, even Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Jewish (you name it) had all time highs at some point. I'm sure Australians had the same. What's your point?

I'm certain that black people appearing on TV was at a all time high at some point in American TV history. Hell, even Asian, Japanese, Irish, Jewish (you name it) had all time highs at some point. I'm sure Australians had the same. What's your point?
I would have thought my point was obvious. Queer characters are relatively absent from American blockbuster films because blockbuster films cost a shit tonne to make and need to make revenue in multiple countries. That is, Hollywood responds to market realities. Queer characters are not relatively absent from American television because they do not cost a shit tonne to make (except Amazon's billion dollar already-a-disaster Lord of the Rings series) and don't rely on the dollar revenue of conservative countries and regimes.

Anti-black Chinese racism is well known, though the racism is hardly limited to black people, including and perhaps especially any kind of Asian that isn't their exact ethnicity. "All Asian people hate all other kinds of Asian people and that's just a fact" is how an Asian friend put it to me.

You can't take the black characters out of American blockbusters but you can reduce their prominence in marketing materials in countries where black characters are not as popular. So, Disney does exactly that.

Because you called it a demotion and haven't explained how it was a demotion. Have you seen the movie? Based on how each role was played in the movie verses the imagery (which is based on the movie) how do you consider it a demotion?

Because you called it a demotion and haven't explained how it was a demotion. Have you seen the movie? Based on how each role was played in the movie verses the imagery (which is based on the movie) how do you consider it a demotion?
No. I watched one hour of the original Star Wars at a friend's insistence and I was bored and turned it off. I have no interest* in the franchise except as it reflects popular taste.

*I take that back. I would pay good money to get a 4K restoration of the Star Wars Holiday Special, because let me tell you if the franchise had more Bea Arthur doing musical numbers in alien cantinas I might have become a fan.

I'm certain that black people appearing on TV was at a all time high at some point in American TV history. Hell, even Asian, Japanese, Irish, Jewish (you name it) had all time highs at some point. I'm sure Australians had the same. What's your point?
I would have thought my point was obvious. Queer characters are relatively absent from American blockbuster films because blockbuster films cost a shit tonne to make and need to make revenue in multiple countries. That is, Hollywood responds to market realities. Queer characters are not relatively absent from American television because they do not cost a shit tonne to make (except Amazon's billion dollar already-a-disaster Lord of the Rings series) and don't rely on the dollar revenue of conservative countries and regimes.

Anti-black Chinese racism is well known, though the racism is hardly limited to black people, including and perhaps especially any kind of Asian that isn't their exact ethnicity. "All Asian people hate all other kinds of Asian people and that's just a fact" is how an Asian friend put it to me.

You can't take the black characters out of American blockbusters but you can reduce their prominence in marketing materials in countries where black characters are not as popular. So, Disney does exactly that.

Oh? I thought we where talking about TV. The cinema and TV are different. At least to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No. I watched one hour of the original Star Wars at a friend's insistence and I was bored and turned it off. I have no interest* in the franchise except as it reflects popular taste.

*I take that back. I would pay good money to get a 4K restoration of the Star Wars Holiday Special, because let me tell you if the franchise had more Bea Arthur doing musical numbers in alien cantinas I might have become a fan.

Then my best suggestion is to STFU about it.

"Silly Caucasian girl likes to play with samurai swords."

MEDIAM_81d3e27b-7328-4917-9228-a5d3fd6260ee_01.jpg

What was really ridiculous was making a "Karate Kid" movie about a Kung Fu student. That's got to count as racist...

Bruh, I almost died choking on that one.

Oh? I thought we where talking about TV. The cinema and TV are different. At least to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know how to make this clearer. I said TV was saturated with queer characters as part of a point I was making. Toni claimed she 'hadn't noticed' and so I provided evidence of my claim. Now perhaps you don't think 'an all time high' is the same thing as 'saturated', and I agree, but while that's true, the number itself - which vastly over-represents the US queer population - is the point.

Back
Top Bottom