• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Chomsky: Trump is a distraction

Horatio Parker

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Platonist
Basically,

1. Trump is harming US power
2. Through his obsessive domination of media with often nonsensical things, he distracts from the real issues
3. Nuclear war and global warming
4. The current Republican leadership, from among the most supported and educated people in history, are consciously pursuing a path destructive to organized human life.

Eight minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQvig0KvUaE

Douglas Adams said:
The President in particular is very much a figurehead — he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it. On those criteria Zaphod Beeblebrox is one of the most successful Presidents the Galaxy has ever had — he has already spent two of his ten presidential years in prison for fraud.

An interesting comparison, yes?

Douglas Adams said:
The President in particular is very much a figurehead — he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it. On those criteria Zaphod Beeblebrox is one of the most successful Presidents the Galaxy has ever had — he has already spent two of his ten presidential years in prison for fraud.

That particular quote has run through my mind (ins search of something to connect with) pretty regularly over the last year.

Douglas Adams said:

Yes. I think Adams is a bit more conspiracy flavored than I'm comfortable with. And while Trump is a distraction while others pursue their agendas, he believes he's wielding power. His understanding is superficial, but he has boundless faith in himself.

Douglas Adams said:

Yes.

Douglas Adams said:

Yes. I think Adams is a bit more conspiracy flavored than I'm comfortable with. And while Trump is a distraction while others pursue their agendas, he believes he's wielding power. His understanding is superficial, but he has boundless faith in himself.

As did Zaphod...

As did Zaphod...

Which means nothing to me, alas.

We miss out on a lot of news around the world because the media is constantly rubber-necking the unfolding disaster of Donald Trump and his kakistocratic administration.

I've heard this claim, which is echoed in Douglas Adams' satirical fiction, that the US president is really something of a figurehead. In fact, the day that Trump was elected, one of his supporters overheard me complaining to friends, and he stopped to correct me on my understanding of how things work. He explained that the US president had far less power than people realized and that he really couldn't accomplish much without the help of others. What this foolish man got wrong was that presidents have far more power than people realize. They are charged not only with enforcing the laws, but in crafting interpretations, objectives, and goals with respect to the administration of those laws. Trump has used that power to effectively tear down decades of hard-won evolution of federal policies. He has gutted federal agencies by refusing to fill essential positions in them. He has handed out lifetime appointments to horribly unqualified federal judgeships. He has set a new very low standard of conduct in office. He has shown future presidents that they can get away with far more than was believed possible in the past.

But that man was right about one thing. Trump could not have done much without the support of a passive rubber-stamp Congress that exercises little or no oversight. He could not have done it without the overwhelming conviction of Republican officeholders that they needed to curry favor with his enthusiastic supporters or risk being booted from office. Trump had to have support from large numbers of American voters and politicians. And he got that. Roughly 90% of Republicans and 50% of the people continue to support him and his behavior in office.

So American presidents less power on paper than they wield in reality.

As did Zaphod...

yep.

And yes to Jason's question, too

Ugh. Okay, Trump is a distraction from other things, but not significantly so.

All of us can be concerned about more than one thing. Take the EPA and Scott Pruitt. Trump's a corrupt fuck, which bothers me, and Pruitt is corrupt fuck of a Trump appointee. The EPA has to do with the environment, which I am concerned about. Boom: three concerns at one time.

This also shows that Trump does hold real power. He has the power to appoint people to positions that make important decisions.

At the same time, I'm also worried about healthcare, quality and costs of education, retirement, the looming possibilities of war, etc.

See? I can hate Trump and still be concerned about all the same shit I was concerned about before Trump.

All of us can be concerned about more than one thing. Take the EPA and Scott Pruitt. Trump's a corrupt fuck, which bothers me, and Pruitt is corrupt fuck of a Trump appointee. The EPA has to do with the environment, which I am concerned about. Boom: three concerns at one time.

This also shows that Trump does hold real power. He has the power to appoint people to positions that make important decisions.

At the same time, I'm also worried about healthcare, quality and costs of education, retirement, the looming possibilities of war, etc.

See? I can hate Trump and still be concerned about all the same shit I was concerned about before Trump.

Without looking, is Trump killing more or less people with drones than Obama?

I've never been against the drone program, so I don't care.

Less. Trump prefers cruise missiles over drones because they give higher TV ratings. I wish I was being facetious.

Yeah, I’ve never understood why any of my fellow liberals argue against drones. They are far better than any previous ordinance we’ve ever deployed in regard to “smart” weaponry and their collateral damage and exponentially less harmful than sending in troops, let alone invading armies.

The Afghanistan and Iraq “wars” have killed, maimed and otherwise destroyed the lives of countless millions of completely innocent men, women and children. Ask any Iraqi if they would have rather had invasion forces or one strategic “regime change” drone attack.

Now, of course, the larger question of “should we ever be involved/who do we think we are/we’re not the world’s police” is a different matter, but compared to the kind of hell from above we used to deploy, Obama’s strategic use of drones was unquestionably more humane than Bush’s use of hundreds of thousands of soldiers and unknown millions of bullets and grenades and bunker busters and cruise missiles, etc., etc., etc.

And Trump?

Judging from Trump’s embrace of the use of air power — the signature tactic of U.S. military intervention — he is the most hawkish president in modern history. Under Trump, the United States has dropped about 20,650 bombs through July 31, or 80 percent the number dropped under Obama for the entirety of 2016. At this rate, Trump will exceed Obama’s last-year total by Labor Day.

As for the OP, Chomsky always sings this song. It was a revelation when I was a freshman in college thirty five years ago, but it’s getting awfully tiresome these days. It’s also low hanging fruit. Who can ever prove him wrong? It’s the intellectual equivalent of whataboutism. All anyone can ever do is go, “Well, yeah, probably, but that doesn’t really mean we should stop looking at Trump or try to do something about Trump” and as you point out, we are actually all capable of multi-tasking.

It’s a way for Chomsky to still remain relevant without ever actually saying anything relevant; to sound better informed than you are, without necessarily being better informed than you are.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Chomsky is one of our greatest living intellectuals and used to read his opinions all the time, but after a while it does tend to all bleed together into the same white noise narrative over and over. He’s not wrong, but he’s also not right, but it’s always qualified in such a way as to self-aggrandize without it seeming like that’s what he’s doing.

I'll mirror what Koyaanisqatsi said about Chomsky. I'll add to it too. If there's a true distraction somewhere around here. His name is Chomsky. I have never been a fan, myself.

Less. Trump prefers cruise missiles over drones because they give higher TV ratings. I wish I was being facetious.

More, according to the internets...my point is wtih Obama, coverage of drone strikes was an ongoing thing. Now strikes are accelerated, but it's not even on the mainstream radar. An example supporting Chomsky's argument.

- - - Updated - - -

So you support a program you don't care about. Ok.

More, according to the internets...my point is wtih Obama, coverage of drone strikes was an ongoing thing. Now strikes are accelerated, but it's not even on the mainstream radar. An example supporting Chomsky's argument.

- - - Updated - - -

So you support a program you don't care about. Ok.

No. As Koyaanisqatsi, pointed out, it's a better than invading entire countries. For some reason you think you've caught me in some godawful contradiction, but the fact is that the drone program is something I don't think is relevant to this discussion, nor is it of primary importance right now. Take up this particular argument with someone else.

Back
Top Bottom