• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christianity as idolatry

When I was a child in primary or elementary school. I used to feel I was missing out, when some of my classmates had their Holy communions, taking the day off. Shouldn't all Christians, not just Catholics have holy communions too? I thought to myself, whatever it was, lol.

When I was a child in primary or elementary school. I used to feel I was missing out, when some of my classmates had their Holy communions, taking the day off. Shouldn't all Christians, not just Catholics have holy communions too? I thought to myself, whatever it was, lol.
And now Jesus is a perpetual friend. You want to practice ritual cannibalism, eating the flesh and drinking the blood of a dead person?

Canabals eating a dead person to be imbued with the power of the persin.

Yiu are idealizing-idolizing a character.

You want to practice ritual cannibalism, eating the flesh and drinking the blood of a dead person?

Ritually and symbolically drinking the 'blood of the lamb' sacrifice, as formerly done with real lambs, and never human beings.

Come now steve, you know it's the wrong faith, the above is similar to the Aghori monks in India, that still practice that tradition.

You want to practice ritual cannibalism, eating the flesh and drinking the blood of a dead person?

Ritually and symbolically drinking the 'blood of the lamb' sacrifice, as formerly done with real lambs, and never human beings.

Come now steve, you know it's the wrong faith, the above is similar to the Aghori monks in India, that still practice that tradition.
As I said, ritual cannibalism.

In the RCC the priest-magician magically transforms wine and bread into blood and body.

As I recall the words when being given communion are 'body of Christ blood of Christ

To me bizarre.

Fair enough pov, I was merely reminiscing my childhood. I thought Catholics were having all the fun. I was born into one of the protestant faiths, although now, if I were to place myself among the various versions of faith, I would say I'm more non-dom. I don't agree with some of what protestant churches preach either.

A Catholic apologist I have listened to, a young fellow called Bob of 'speakers corner' rightly said as I see it, that "Catholics and Protestants can/ need to learn from each other." I agree with that absolutely - each church having a piece of the puzzle, so to speak. I would take lessons from the Catholic's Didache, on how to conduct one's self, if wanting to preach and spread the word as a good example.

Fair enough pov, I was merely reminiscing my childhood. I thought Catholics were having all the fun. I was born into one of the protestant faiths, although now, if I were to place myself among the various versions of faith, I would say I'm more non-dom. I don't agree with some of what protestant churches preach either.

A Catholic apologist I have listened to, a young fellow called Bob of 'speakers corner' rightly said as I see it, that "Catholics and Protestants can/ need to learn from each other." I agree with that absolutely - each church having a piece of the puzzle, so to speak. I would take lessons from the Catholic's Didache, on how to conduct one's self, if wanting to preach and spread the word as a good example.
Catholic catechism remains it being the one and only true church.

After 9/11 a protestant sect Lutheran I think forbade its clergy from attending a mass interfaith gathering post 9/11 at Shea Stadium because Muslims were attending, under penalty of being thrown out as pastors.

I think non den is an easy way of sidestepping issues. A Christian is anyone who says they are Christian, If you say you are Christian you may be asked buy other Christians where you were baptized.

To be accepted as Jewish and convert you have to denobstrate living to Jewish customs and pass a religious review. Yo can;t just make yourself Jewish.

Islam as the 5 Pillars Of Faith.

Buddhism has he Eightfold Path. n ethical moral code for living.

The question I ask Christians is how scripture they quote guides daisy life, usually no response. Ask a practicing Muslim or Jew and yiu will likely get concrete answers. Scripture and faith tanslate into action.

Most theologians will concede the Christian church coopted pagan religions as it spread across Europe. There is one God, but he has a big family. The pantheon of Greek and Roman Gods became the Holy Family and the corps of saints. Many Protestant sects reject what they see as the idolatry of the RCC and the only symbol found in their churches is a bare cross. Most allow portraits of Jesus, but he always has blue eyes.

Catholic catechism remains it being the one and only true church.

After 9/11 a protestant sect Lutheran I think forbade its clergy from attending a mass interfaith gathering post 9/11 at Shea Stadium because Muslims were attending, under penalty of being thrown out as pastors.

As I mentioned before, I think each church or most, have pieces or elements of the correct doctrine. If one wanted a template I'd go by the example of the seven churches. Jesus had no issues with two of them out of the seven - the Church of Philidelphia and Church of Smyrna.

I think non den is an easy way of sidestepping issues. A Christian is anyone who says they are Christian, If you say you are Christian you may be asked buy other Christians where you were baptized.

Being humans, I'm sure these individuals exists, but many non-dens I've come across, highlight their reasons; having various issues with certain practices or preaching. Highlighting corruptions, the merging or infiltrations of foreign philosophies - gnosticism, new-age, paganism etc.. Or churches adapting; being shaped by politics, or personal prosperity gains by the leading clergy.

For me, I think there are a lot of decent churches, which may be one reason, at least in my case, being non-den . I am quite happy going to different congregations, listening to good sermons from a variety of people ( obviously if they're not doing any of the above).

To be accepted as Jewish and convert you have to denobstrate living to Jewish customs and pass a religious review. Yo can;t just make yourself Jewish.

Islam as the 5 Pillars Of Faith.

You can make yourself Christian instantly. The beauty of believing in Jesus is, it's simple.

Buddhism has he Eightfold Path. n ethical moral code for living.

The question I ask Christians is how scripture they quote guides daisy life, usually no response. Ask a practicing Muslim or Jew and yiu will likely get concrete answers. Scripture and faith tanslate into action.

Jesus has the most incredible moral ethic. A concrete answer.

Last edited:
What are elements the correct doctrine? Something not present in any philosophy or religion to the date of Jesus? Buddhism predating Jesus by about 300 yeras has a very clear code of life and ethics.

That is not a concrete answer, it is a declarative subjective sentence. How do you practice what is in the NT in your daily life?

I knew a Muslim who was part of a loose group of charitable Muslims none rich. They pool money and find people in need. A sense of community.

You are exhibiting idolatry and hero worship of someone who left very few recorded words.

Exodus 20:4-5
“You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God"

I think that would include a crucifix....
Don't understate the ability of any religion to rationalize what they do no matter how inconsistent it might be. Catholics will tell you that they only "venerate" objects like crucifixes and statues--they don't actually worship them or pray to them. Such objects are merely symbols of the people they represent.

Maybe so, but it sure looks like idol worship to me!
20190709T1023-28686-CNS-BURKE-IRELAND%20crop2.jpg

Ah! Nothing like the Cappa Magna!!!

Or to "get there"...

Arrival_001.jpg

Last edited:
What are elements the correct doctrine? Something not present in any philosophy or religion to the date of Jesus? Buddhism predating Jesus by about 300 yeras has a very clear code of life and ethics.

That is not a concrete answer, it is a declarative subjective sentence. How do you practice what is in the NT in your daily life?
Ah yes, sorry about that. You put in your post the Five pillars of Islam, the eightfold paths of Buddhism. Thats why I posted the Jesus line. It seemed you were suggesting Christianity didn't have a good moral code..

Jesus simply made It is easier - Jesus accepts there will be short falls, especially when the bar for such perfect righteousness is very high. All it requires is the belief in Jesus, and doing good to others (as best as you can achievably do), praying ike other religions. You get a pass at the very beginning, simply by accepting Jesus etc.. further study comes after, should one want to study rigourously.

I knew a Muslim who was part of a loose group of charitable Muslims none rich. They pool money and find people in need. A sense of community.

I see, but in your mind, only Muslims have ever done this?

You are exhibiting idolatry and hero worship of someone who left very few recorded words.

25 thousand manuscripts support His words - 4 Gospels from different individuals support His words.

Last edited:
I s don't think your words are your own. Sounds like you are derfering responses to someone else, if so that is dishonety.

I am not infering, I am saying directly Christians have no consistent morality, there is none in scripture. Jews have extensive historical; side teachings.

No, Muslims are not the only charitable people. Christians insist they have a lock on marality. As yo said, Jesus in your opionom is the most ethical person of all time. Have you read Confucius and hos idea of the superior man?

Give me a few examples of which words of Jesus guide your actions in daily life?

If I ask a practcing Muslim or Buddhist I will likely get an articulate response. If I asked a protestant or Catholic cleric I wouf likely get an articulate response.

Ask a non denom self appointed Christian and it is usually invoking Jesus as graet and invoking the gospels. Simplistic.

Jesus was baptized by John The Baptist, have you been baptized?

Jesus simply made It is easier - Jesus accepts there will be short falls, especially when the bar for such perfect righteousness is very high. All it requires is the belief in Jesus, and doing good to others (as best as you can achievably do), praying ike other religions. You get a pass at the very beginning, simply by accepting Jesus etc.. further study comes after, should one want to study rigourously.
Very similarly to Pure Land Buddhism, except that Amitabha doesn't threaten to torture you for eternity if you fall off the wagon somehow.

We thread a thread where people can put images and video.

Very similarly to Pure Land Buddhism, except that Amitabha doesn't threaten to torture you for eternity if you fall off the wagon somehow.

Yes, I suppose, there's the chance that wagon will stop and wait for them to get back on, since they did not have that intention to get off . Then there are those who jump off.

I s don't think your words are your own. Sounds like you are derfering responses to someone else, "if so" that is dishonety.

Fortunately. ..it isn't so.

I am not infering, I am saying directly Christians have no consistent morality, there is none in scripture. Jews have extensive historical; side teachings.

No, Muslims are not the only charitable people. Christians insist they have a lock on marality. As yo said, Jesus in your opionom is the most ethical person of all time. Have you read Confucius and hos idea of the superior man?

Give me a few examples of which words of Jesus guide your actions in daily life?

Not a hard question. where do I begin?

Repenting from my sins. Ask for forgiveness by saying the Lords prayer everyday (twice or three times a day), other prayers depending on the day......

“Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matt 26: 41

“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” Matt 7:12

“Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.” Matt 12:15

“But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” (Matt 6:33).

These examples, naming but a few... I aim for. I don't, claim I get these perfect trying, as I'm sure this goes for many others too.... but examples like the above, do guide our daily lives!!!

If I ask a practcing Muslim or Buddhist I will likely get an articulate response. If I asked a protestant or Catholic cleric I wouf likely get an articulate response.

Ask a non denom self appointed Christian and it is usually invoking Jesus as graet and invoking the gospels. Simplistic.
Protestant and Catholics clerics giving articulate responses? Previously you seemed to suggest otherwise. And now, you have a viewpoint on non-denoms... wonderful. Further more, I am absolutely ok with that simplistic illustration, - because at that level of Christianity I try to discuss here, (a learner) - I would delightfully wonder - 'what more if you discussed or debated with the non-simplistic Christians?'

So.... how did you appoint yourself an atheist?

Jesus was baptized by John The Baptist, have you been baptized?

The criminal that was crucified next to Jesus became a believer ... Jesus said He will be with Him in paradise. Baptised by the Holy spirit happens once you belive in Christ. That could happen anytime in any place....especially when there's no water!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom