• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Clarence Thomas corruption

25/ And when we asked Leo about arranging the meeting for the Singer-affiliated donors with Justice Thomas at the Supreme Court, he sent this response:
(Singer declined to comment. Thomas didn't respond.)
with
Leo told ProPublica that while not all of the alliance's donors give money to his causes: "They are thought leaders who should know more about the Constitution and the rule of law. I was happy I to arrange for them to hear about these topics from one of the best teachers on that I know, Clarence Thomas." Singer declined to comment. The Supreme Court didn't respond to a request for comment.
Finally,
26/end
OK, that’s plenty of tweeting — X-ing? — for now.
Thanks for following along.
One final plea:
If you liked this 🧵
Please listen to our three-part podcast with @onthemedia about Leo, his life, and his power.
Listen here:
We Don’t Talk About Leonard — ProPublica - "The conservative legal movement in the United States is more powerful than ever. One largely unknown man has played a significant role in pushing the American judiciary to the right: Leonard Leo. "

SCOTUS privilege is insane.

Justice Thomas’s R.V. Loan Was Forgiven, Senate Inquiry Finds - The New York Times

The terms of the private loan were as generous as they were clear: With no money down, Justice Clarence Thomas could borrow more than a quarter of a million dollars from a wealthy friend to buy a 40-foot luxury motor coach, making annual interest-only payments for five years. Only then would the principal come due.

But despite the favorable nature of the 1999 loan and a lengthy extension to make good on his obligations, Justice Thomas failed to repay a “significant portion” — or perhaps any — of the $267,230 principal, according to a new report by Democratic members of the Senate Finance Committee. Nearly nine years later, after Justice Thomas had made an unclear number of the interest payments, the outstanding debt was forgiven, an outcome with ethical and potential tax consequences for the justice.

“This was, in short, a sweetheart deal” that made no logical sense from a business perspective, Michael Hamersley, a tax lawyer who has served as a congressional expert witness, told The New York Times.

I was wondering, should we all pitch in and help buy Thomas a large boat to convince him to retire?
Well, we kinda are, right. We pay his salary.
Sure. But he’s not getting boats, trips, motor homes, and houses with his salary.

And that's the problem. We don't pay for his lifestyle. His salary isn't sufficient to his needs and appetites, but his lifetime government job still gets him the lifestyle he craves, and there is almost no chance that anyone can deprive him of that. Congress will never have the votes sufficient to impeach him while he is still alive.

I was wondering, should we all pitch in and help buy Thomas a large boat to convince him to retire?
Well, we kinda are, right. We pay his salary.
Sure. But he’s not getting boats, trips, motor homes, and houses with his salary.

And that's the problem. We don't pay for his lifestyle. His salary isn't sufficient to his needs and appetites, but his lifetime government job still gets him the lifestyle he craves, and there is almost no chance that anyone can deprive him of that. Congress will never have the votes sufficient to impeach him while he is still alive.
I keep hearing republicans say there is a solution to that sort of thing.

There's now a timeline with regards to Clarence Thomas. Yes, the quiet part is being said out loud.

Thomas’ comments in 2000 were to Florida Rep. Cliff Stearns, a vocal conservative who’d been in Congress for 11 years and occasionally socialized with the justice. They set off a flurry of activity across the judiciary and Capitol Hill. “His importance as a conservative was paramount,” Stearns said in a recent interview. “We wanted to make sure he felt comfortable in his job and he was being paid properly.”

The best justice money can buy.

As we knew, his opinions weren't being bought and paid for. What we are learning is that his sitting on SCOTUS was... so his opinions would be part of Constitutional Law. This is resignation territory.

Back
Top Bottom