• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Clarence Thomas corruption

She seems nice.

And not too bright. Yeah, it's easy to knock the journalist for being deceptive, but for dog's sake if you're the spouse of one of the nine most powerful judges in the country - who have a long tradition of keeping their mouths shut and speaking through their rulings - you have to understand that you are a target of some people who do not wish you well. In addition, some of those people have been working for years to garner connections that allow them to bullshit their way into places where they are maybe not supposed to be. So when someone you've never met before shows up in one of these places with a microphone and starts talking to you like they're a friend...do I even need to finish the sentence?

Or maybe we've arrived at the point where Mrs. Alito - taking her cues from Mrs. Thomas - has simply decided to say the quiet part out loud, knowing that there will be no consequences.

Either way, we're fucked.

I'd gladly take his spot for half of what he gets paid. As a Supreme Court Justice, my goal would be to ensure that every walk of life (within reason) is protected and that no law infringes on our freedoms. After all, the purpose of the Supreme Court is to provide checks and balances on the government, and American culture is rooted in individualism, right?

Not this nonsense where the Supreme Court is used as a check and balance against their opponents (which currently seems to be the liberals).

I'd gladly take his spot for half of what he gets paid. As a Supreme Court Justice, my goal would be to ensure that every walk of life (within reason) is protected and that no law infringes on our freedoms. After all, the purpose of the Supreme Court is to provide checks and balances on the government, and American culture is rooted in individualism, right?

Not this nonsense where the Supreme Court is used as a check and balance against their opponents (which currently seems to be the liberals).
Unfortunately, you'd need to know a lot about Constitutional Law. You'd only get so far with the retort "But what about Marbury v Madison?" ;)

Unfortunately, you'd need to know a lot about Constitutional Law. You'd only get so far with the retort "But what about Marbury v Madison?" ;)
Considering the arguments and rulings of the conservatives on the court, I don't think knowledge of the Constitution is that much of a requirement.

Considering the arguments and rulings of the conservatives on the court, I don't think knowledge of the Constitution is that much of a requirement.
Not past precedent

Stop picking on poor Clarence.
psq3s.jpg

About time: Senators demand special counsel to investigate Clarence Thomas

Fed up with the justice’s stonewalling, egregious violation of judicial ethics, inaccurate legal filings and gross money grubbing from right-wing billionaires with business before the Supreme Court, Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) sent a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland this week demanding a special counsel be appointed “to investigate possible violations of federal ethics and tax laws by Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Clarence Thomas.” Well, it’s about time someone took Thomas’s inexcusable conduct seriously. (Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s introduction of articles of impeachment in a Republican-controlled House, meanwhile, which followed on Wednesday, is a showy gesture but a nonstarter.)

About time: Senators demand special counsel to investigate Clarence Thomas

Fed up with the justice’s stonewalling, egregious violation of judicial ethics, inaccurate legal filings and gross money grubbing from right-wing billionaires with business before the Supreme Court, Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) and Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) sent a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland this week demanding a special counsel be appointed “to investigate possible violations of federal ethics and tax laws by Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Clarence Thomas.” Well, it’s about time someone took Thomas’s inexcusable conduct seriously. (Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s introduction of articles of impeachment in a Republican-controlled House, meanwhile, which followed on Wednesday, is a showy gesture but a nonstarter.)
I'm sorry but the separation of powers are unconstitutional.

You think the people who just ruled that the president is above the law won't do the same for themselves?
In light of their ruling in Snyder v US?

article said:
The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that a federal anti-bribery law does not make it a crime for state and local officials to accept a gratuity for acts that they have already taken. Writing for a six-justice majority, Justice Brett Kavanaugh explained that state and local governments already regulate gifts to officials, and so the federal law “does not supplement those state and local rules by subjecting 19 million state and local officials to up to 10 years in federal prison for accepting even commonplace gratuities.”
The majority almost literally ruled that what Alito and Thomas have done in completely legal, at least as far as that statute goes.

You think the people who just ruled that the president is above the law won't do the same for themselves?
In light of their ruling in Snyder v US?

article said:
The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that a federal anti-bribery law does not make it a crime for state and local officials to accept a gratuity for acts that they have already taken. Writing for a six-justice majority, Justice Brett Kavanaugh explained that state and local governments already regulate gifts to officials, and so the federal law “does not supplement those state and local rules by subjecting 19 million state and local officials to up to 10 years in federal prison for accepting even commonplace gratuities.
The majority almost literally ruled that what Alito and Thomas have done in completely legal, at least as far as that statute goes.
Poor, whiny babies!

Jackson's thoughts on that case reflect my own:
Because reading §666 to prohibit gratuities—just as it always has—poses no genuine threat to common giftgiving, but does honor Congress’s intent to punish rewards corruptly accepted by government officials in ways that are functionally indistinguishable from taking a bribe, I respectfully dissent.
In order to "correct" an intentional misreading of the law, they made the law meaninglessly easy to evade. I'd be upset, too, if I was threatened with a jail sentence every time a student slips me a gift card with their final exam. But of course, that was never how the law was executed in the first place. Simply legalizing post facto bribery is not solving a real problem, it's creating one.

But that is par for this Court.

Clearly, the majority has taken some "creative legal review" classes over the past couple of years.

On July 1, AOC xweeted
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "The Supreme Court ...." / X
The Supreme Court has become consumed by a corruption crisis beyond its control.

Today’s ruling represents an assault on American democracy. It is up to Congress to defend our nation from this authoritarian capture.

I intend on filing articles of impeachment upon our return.
I was concerned that she was not going to follow up her announcement, but I'm happy to announce that she has.

Ocasio-Cortez Introduces Articles of Impeachment Against Justice Thomas and Justice Alito | Representative Ocasio-Cortez
The first impeachment resolution includes the following impeachment articles against Justice Thomas:
  1. Failure to disclose financial income, gifts and reimbursements, property interests, liabilities, and transactions, among other information.
  2. Refusal to recuse from matters concerning his spouse’s legal interest in cases before the court.
  3. Refusal to recuse from matters involving his spouse’s financial interest in cases before the court.
The second impeachment resolution includes the following impeachment articles against Justice Alito:
  1. Refusal to recuse from cases in which he had a personal bias or prejudice concerning a party in cases before the court.
  2. Failure to disclose financial income, gifts and reimbursements, property interests, liabilities, and transactions, among other information.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Introduce Articles of Impeachment against Justices Thomas and Alito - YouTube
TRANSCRIPT: Rep. AOC Delivers Major Floor Speech on Articles of Impeachment Against Justices Thomas and Alito | Representative Ocasio-Cortez

All that I could find in congress.gov - Congressional Record | Congress.gov | Library of Congress - INTRODUCING ARTICLES OF IMPEACHMENT AGAINST ASSOCIATE JUSTICES THOMAS AND ALITO; Congressional Record Vol. 170, No. 114 - (House - July 10, 2024)

Clarence Thomas has received a ton of gifts while on the Supreme Court – Kevin Drum -- about 20 times more per year than the next one has received: Sam Alito.

AOC understands the stakes: The "high crimes" of Clarence Thomas and Sam Alito must be prosecuted | Salon.com
Despite her strong social media presence and lefty credentials, Ocasio-Cortez has earned a reputation as a serious leader and not one prone to cheap political stunts. She wouldn't be doing this if she weren't serious, even though she fully admits it will go nowhere in a GOP-dominated House.

It's also a big deal, because Ocasio-Cortez is known for being a nuts-and-bolts politician. While she is conversant in more abstract topics, she's celebrated for her skill at explaining, in an accessible way, how economic and health care policy impacts people's lives. She has been one of the most effective elected officials speaking out against Dobbs, for instance. This is precisely why she's the perfect person to take the lead in keeping the corruption story alive. She's well-positioned to explain how elite corruption is a big reason why the Supreme Court keeps issuing dangerous opinions that hurt ordinary people.
Then noting Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "Corruption, without consequence, infects all it touches. ..." / X
Corruption, without consequence, infects all it touches. Congress must exercise its powers to impeach.

The corruption of Justices Thomas & Alito constitutes a clear danger to our democracy. I moved to impeach them because it is the right thing to do for the American people.
Back to Amanda Marcotte's article.
It's likely easier for journalists and voters to see the direct link between the bribery-shaped behavior of Thomas and Alito and decisions that benefit businesses at the public expense. This term had many such decisions, most notably Loper Bright Enterprises v. Raimondo, in which the six conservative justices hamstrung the ability of bureaucracies like the Environmental Protection Agency to pass regulations. With so-called "social" issues like abortion rights, however, mainstream journalists still tend to act as if the justices aren't being influenced by money and power to rule against human rights. For instance, Michel Martin of NPR recently asked Ocasio-Cortez if it's possible billionaires are "giving them these gifts because they know [how] they're going to vote on" issues like abortion rights, not as a way to influence their vote. As if a thank-you gift is somehow functionally different from a bribe.
noting
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says ‘dark money’ sways the Supreme Court | Hawai'i Public Radio
“The fact that millions of dollars of undisclosed gifts are funneling directly to the conservative justices is, in and of itself, a crisis,” Ocasio-Cortez told NPR’s Morning Edition.
“The mere appearance of being exposed or connected to any party in a judicial proceeding or in a court proceeding, in a way, is in and of itself compromising,” Ocasio-Cortez, the vice ranking member of the oversight committee, said in her interview with Michel Martin.

"Let him eat cake": AOC responds to Kavanaugh's run-in with protesters while dining out | Salon.com - July 9, 2022 4:00AM (EDT) - "AOC weighs in on Kavanaugh exiting a D.C. steakhouse through the back door due to protester ridicule"

Andy Campbell on X: "Politico clutching pearls ..." / X
Politico clutching pearls today after a handful of "unruly" protesters "targeted" Brett Kavanaugh by standing outside during his steak dinner.

Just an absolutely terrifying night for Kavanaugh, who "did not hear or see the protesters and ate a full meal but left before dessert."
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on X: "Poor guy. ..." / X
Poor guy. He left before his soufflé because he decided half the country should risk death if they have an ectopic pregnancy within the wrong state lines. It’s all very unfair to him.

The least they could do is let him eat cake 🍰

I will never understand the pearl clutching over these protests. Republicans send people to protest me all the time, sometimes drunk and belligerent.

Nobody cares about it unless it’s a Republican in a restaurant. Can someone please explain the obsession because I don’t get it

Amanda Marcotte concludes
Leo, the former Federalist Society head who has spent so much time setting up benefactor relationships between billionaires and the justices, also happens to be motivated by a frankly unhinged obsession with banning abortion. Reporting after the Dobbs decision shows that some of the conservative justices had been skittish about ending Roe v. Wade, but caved to pressure from Alito and Thomas to go as radical as possible. That level of conviction to strip basic rights from millions of women is a lot easier to maintain if your rich friends are telling you to stick it out, in between rounds of free caviar and another glass of outrageously expensive wine. Perhaps more than anyone else in Congress, Ocasio-Cortez gets that connection.
The inside story of how John Roberts failed to save abortion rights | CNN Politics
Chief Justice John Roberts privately lobbied fellow conservatives to save the constitutional right to abortion down to the bitter end, but May’s unprecedented leak of a draft opinion reversing Roe v. Wade made the effort all but impossible, multiple sources familiar with negotiations told CNN.

It appears unlikely that Roberts’ best prospect – Justice Brett Kavanaugh – was ever close to switching his earlier vote, despite Roberts’ attempts that continued through the final weeks of the session.
Seems like it was some antiabortion hardliner who leaked that draft opinion, to force the antiabortion Justices to support a hardline position.

Clarence Thomas accepted a free yacht trip to Russia and got flown out on a complimentary helicopter ride to Putin's hometown, 2 Democratic senators say
  • Democratic senators have accused Justice Clarence Thomas of accepting undisclosed gifts and trips.
  • They say he accepted gifts such as a yacht trip to Russia and a chopper ride to Vladimir Putin's hometown.
  • The senators want an investigation into potential tax fraud and ties between Thomas and Harlan Crow.
Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island and Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon filed a letter to US Attorney General Merrick Garland on July 3, asking to open an investigation into the Supreme Court judge.

The letter's appendix, which lists 35 undisclosed gifts, shows a "yacht trip to Russia and the Baltics" and a "helicopter ride to Yusupov Palace, St. Petersburg," both listed under the year 2003.

St. Petersburg, Russia, is Putin's birthplace and where he grew up. The president now resides in Moscow.
noting
2024-07-03-Letter-to-AG-Garland-re-Special-Counsel-FINAL.pdf

Back
Top Bottom