• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

I’d be 107 in 2057.
Me too. Whenever I forget how old I am I just examine the YEAR. This is 2024 so I am 74.

There are other parallels between the two of us. I was born in Colorado. I was tear-gassed in an SDS demonstration, but it wasn't in 1966 as you reported. Did you skip a year of high school? Or were you gassed while still in HS?

I’d be 107 in 2057.
Me too. Whenever I forget how old I am I just examine the YEAR. This is 2024 so I am 74.

There are other parallels between the two of us. I was born in Colorado. I was tear-gassed in an SDS demonstration, but it wasn't in 1966 as you reported. Did you skip a year of high school? Or were you gassed while still in HS?
I was gassed while in high school; a progressive private high school near mount Diablo in the Eastbay region, operating in its first year. It was somewhat experimental. By the end of the school year, half the student body (myself included) and a third of the faculty were asked not to come back. Two of those un-reinvited faculty approved and provided transport to the SDS rally in Berkeley, where all hell broke loose.

Last year, one of those two tracked me down. I was more than astonished (beside by the fact he and his wife were both still alive and well) when he told me I was his favorite, most creative student he ever taught, even though it was just one year.
I thought he was a better judge than that; I was a TERRIBLE student whose main creative outlet was making trouble, inciting discontent and trying to get close to girls.
🤷‍♂️
How did you end up in … Thailand?

It is not just about weather. The currents spread nutrients and O2 would probably drop.

It's becoming clear that EVs are not the answer. At least not yet.
They are not very green to make, and it takes a long time for them to be net zero carbon.
We went the wrong way over 100years ago with transportation, and we can not fix that.
Hybrids should have bridged the gap until the grid was ready.
More public transit. More small cars and tax on heavy trucks and SUVs .
Gas tax pays for roads. EVs are heavy and don't pay gas taxes. Heavy vehicles are harder on roads.

It's becoming clear that EVs are not the answer. At least not yet.
They are not very green to make, and it takes a long time for them to be net zero carbon.
We went the wrong way over 100years ago with transportation, and we can not fix that.
Hybrids should have bridged the gap until the grid was ready.
More public transit. More small cars and tax on heavy trucks and SUVs .
Gas tax pays for roads. EVs are heavy and don't pay gas taxes. Heavy vehicles are harder on roads.
Has anyone stated that EVs are the answer? They are part of the answer and not even a major part until the bulk of electricity generation can be moved to non-carbon sources. A multi-decade plan starting in the 1980s (at the latest) to convert our power infrastructure is what was needed.

A multi-decade plan starting in the 1980s (at the latest) to convert our power infrastructure is what was needed.

Way back in 1980, Presidential candidate John Anderson proposed a 50¢ tax on gasoline. Of course he was laughed at and booed off the stage. Yet almost every sane economist has also stressed the importance of a gas tax.

"But a gas tax would be regressive!" Wrong again! You make up for that by sending gas tax revenue to SocSec and to General Fund. SocSec taxes would be reduced; Win-win! "But what about low-paid workers driving gas guzzlers on long commutes?" :confused2: The whole idea of the gas tax is to change behavior.

But only puny gas taxes were ever imposed. What do we see now? The total gas tax paid in an average U.S. state is only 4% of the current retail price ... and politicians are proposing to CUT even those taxes!

5 Years of the Green New Deal | Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - YouTube
Five years ago, we introduced a vision for social and ecological transformation big enough to save our planet—the Green New Deal. Since then, we have made major strides in tackling the climate crisis and creating millions of jobs by building together a diverse coalition of people committed to a better future. The world we are fighting for is here, and the next decade of the Green New Deal is is not only necessary, but far more possible than ever before. Join us and let's finish the job.
AOC bragged about recent accomplishments, like getting President Biden to pause approval of natural-gas export facilities.

A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez - YouTube - 4 years ago
What if we actually pulled off a Green New Deal? What would the future look like? The Intercept presents a film narrated by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and illustrated by Molly Crabapple.

Set a couple of decades from now, the film is a flat-out rejection of the idea that a dystopian future is a forgone conclusion. Instead, it offers a thought experiment: What if we decided not to drive off the climate cliff? What if we chose to radically change course and save both our habitat and ourselves?

We realized that the biggest obstacle to the kind of transformative change the Green New Deal envisions is overcoming the skepticism that humanity could ever pull off something at this scale and speed. That’s the message we’ve been hearing from the “serious” center for four months straight: that it’s too big, too ambitious, that our Twitter-addled brains are incapable of it, and that we are destined to just watch walruses fall to their deaths on Netflix until it’s too late.

This film flips the script. It’s about how, in the nick of time, a critical mass of humanity in the largest economy on earth came to believe that we were actually worth saving. Because, as Ocasio-Cortez says in the film, our future has not been written yet and “we can be whatever we have the courage to see.”
Utopian, maybe, but it's a nice production.

What she introduced in Congress:
Remarks at each introduction:

The full text on its second introduction: Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) reads Green New Deal on House floor - YouTube

Scarier than anything roaming the streets on Halloween.

Note how the line deviates from the pack nearly a year ago. I really hope this is a broken satellite.

Sorry it's a URL rather than an image but it's dynamic.

Last edited:

Scarier than anything roaming the streets on Halloween.

Note how the line deviates from the pack nearly a year ago. I really hope this is a broken satellite.

Sorry it's a URL rather than an image but it's dynamic.
Link has quotation marks around it, and comes back as insecure. Click at your own risk.
Argh, I don't know what the board is doing with it. The link looked right, I didn't check that it didn't actually load and I'm having no luck fixing it.

Dispense with the quotes and it's a normal, secure site.

This video ("I Was Worried about Climate Change. Now I worry about Climate Scientists") by Sabine Hossenfelder may be interesting. Despite the title, she worries that temperatures may increase faster than the "consensus" predicts.
The estimates only include the factors where we can make reasonable predictions.

We know the methane hydrates are out there, we know they're nasty but we do not have enough data to make estimates. Of course the estimates are low.

Even without that the pessimist is right far more often than the optimist. (In this situation--expect reality to be somewhere between the "prediction" and the worst-case prediction.)

This video ("I Was Worried about Climate Change. Now I worry about Climate Scientists") by Sabine Hossenfelder may be interesting. Despite the title, she worries that temperatures may increase faster than the "consensus" predicts.
Having watched multiple of her videos now and especially those that address my field, which is not her own, I have found that though I appreciate a scientist having a youtube channel to address science in a thoughtful, intellectual manner she is still often simply misguided in her explanations of fields not her own.

Anton Petrov goes into papers and paints out the uncertainty well. SB often is just speaking on opinions. A little too much noise to info ratio.

More disappointing news for the climate collapse doomsayers;

Even before the major storm forecast for this weekend, a wet February has eased fears that California would end the rainy season with too little water. In fact, many parts of the state are now likely to wrap up with average or above-average rain and snow totals. Null said the system is helping put the wet season on track to be “pretty close to normal.”

News

Rapture delayed, stand down.

Catastrophic 56f just now. #prayforsantamonica.

So are you saying you won't be triggered by the term "atmospheric river" now?

More disappointing news for the climate collapse doomsayers;

Even before the major storm forecast for this weekend, a wet February has eased fears that California would end the rainy season with too little water. In fact, many parts of the state are now likely to wrap up with average or above-average rain and snow totals. Null said the system is helping put the wet season on track to be “pretty close to normal.”

News

Rapture delayed, stand down.

Catastrophic 56f just now. #prayforsantamonica.
Scoreboard:

IMG_3827.png
Move along now…

1709658619227.png

Four of the top five warmest winters in NE Ohio, the last 8 years. No, not the warmest day, the warmest week, or month, but the entire season. One of the main reasons why it sucks to get drill rigs off road this time of year. Spring used to be the worst, but winter is so difficult now.

Back
Top Bottom