• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

What' that they say in Ca?..Surf's up! I hope Gidget made it to high ground.

10 Day Weather-Santa Monica, CA​

As of 2:05 pm PST

Gale Warning +6 More

Today​

Rain/Wind
57°/55°
100%
SE 20 mph

I guess it's not such a lovely sunny day in Santa Monica, not with flooding and gale force winds.

The entire coastal area of California has been and will be experiencing some rather extreme weather for the next day or two, not that any of it could possibly be related to climate change./s. Stay safe Coastal Californians. Hope deniers took the warnings seriously too. ☔
So it is the apocalypse for the world now. Drat. Only if the weather in Santa Monica had remained good.

What' that they say in Ca?..Surf's up! I hope Gidget made it to high ground.
Meh, Gidget surfed for like a month and then gave it up. She also had plastic surgery like three times, because she kept looking different. After dropping surfing, she went to Hawaii and then Italy and took an automotive class, but then gave up because she was just a girl (I wish I was making that up).

10 Day Weather-Santa Monica, CA​

As of 2:05 pm PST

Gale Warning +6 More

Today​

Rain/Wind
57°/55°
100%
SE 20 mph

I guess it's not such a lovely sunny day in Santa Monica, not with flooding and gale force winds.

The entire coastal area of California has been and will be experiencing some rather extreme weather for the next day or two, not that any of it could possibly be related to climate change./s. Stay safe Coastal Californians. Hope deniers took the warnings seriously too. ☔
So it is the apocalypse for the world now. Drat. Only if the weather in Santa Monica had remained good.
What's bad about it? 55 degrees, a little windy... 20mph? That would be considered "light and variable" around here. I'll take it. it's like, 24 here now and wind gusts up to 35. Plus - we could use the moisture.

You may be right, but I've read that some of these storms will be record breaking. I was just tired of reading how beautiful the weather was every fucking single day in sunny Santa Monica. And, no. I'm not wishing harm on anyone, just pointing out that even sunny Santa Monica sometimes has terrible weather, which may or may not be related to climate change. Still, I would never choose to live near a coast at this time in history. I had wanted to live in Northern Florida when we retired, but instead we sold our little condo and decided to stay inland. Considering what Florida has become politically, that was a good decision.

A perfect example of the rapture like cult the climate doomsters are in. You really do see a bit of bad weather as the coming rapture. You WANT it to be the rapture, you NEED it because that would prove me wrong somehow. :hysterical:

I thought California was in a drought because of climate change?!!!! Wait, it's raining? Climate change!!!!111!!!1!!!!
Climate catastrophe when it's dry and climate catastrophe when it is wet. :hysterical:

It is a catastrophic 54 degrees today with some drizzle.

You may be right, but I've read that some of these storms will be record breaking. I was just tired of reading how beautiful the weather was every fucking single day in sunny Santa Monica. And, no. I'm not wishing harm on anyone, just pointing out that even sunny Santa Monica sometimes has terrible weather, which may or may not be related to climate change. Still, I would never choose to live near a coast at this time in history. I had wanted to live in Northern Florida when we retired, but instead we sold our little condo and decided to stay inland. Considering what Florida has become politically, that was a good decision.

A perfect example of the rapture like cult the climate doomsters are in. You really do see a bit of bad weather as the coming rapture. You WANT it to be the rapture, you NEED it because that would prove me wrong somehow. :hysterical:

I thought California was in a drought because of climate change?!!!! Wait, it's raining? Climate change!!!!111!!!1!!!!
Climate catastrophe when it's dry and climate catastrophe when it is wet. :hysterical:

It is a catastrophic 54 degrees today with some drizzle.
Well, I'm glad the weather. has improved and nobody ever said that the temps in California were awful, but there was a lot of flooding and gusts up to 80
MPH, not exactly a beautiful day. And, the verdict it still out regarding whether this type of weather is related to climate change, as scientists are still evaluating the impact of climate change on this type of weather. They don't simply jump to conclusions. They actually study the long term impact of factors that influence climate, not just weather.

So, you can pretend the weather wasn't that bad in California. Are you saying that all those photos I saw of cars floating down streets on the news were made up? Are you saying that the more than 800,000 people who lost power were lies? If you noticed I never said that your weather over the last few days was related to climate change, I just said it wasn't the usual, "It's a lovely 70 degrees in Santa Monica." Stop pretending that all you had was light rain all weekend, unless you happen to live in the one and only neighborhood that had no bad weather.

It was in the 70s here in Georgia the week before last, extremely unusual for late January. It's cold today, not by Elixer's standards, of course, but it will back in the 60s by the end of the week, not at all normal for north central Georgia in February. Just sayin'. If this only happened once ever 10 years or so, that would be one thing, but when it becomes a pattern, it's an example of climate change No. I'm not trying to convince you you're wrong because you are the type of denialist who's home will be floating out to sea while you yell that climate change is a hoax.

Nobody wants claimed change to be real, but the facts are overwhelming that it's coming our way, whether we deny it or not.

Last edited:
Here ya go. Is this fake news?

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/0...1.TE0.OsFM.kJvdjtxTRFei&bgrp=g&smid=url-share

Here are the latest developments.

A record-breaking storm stalled over the Los Angeles area on Monday as California surveyed damage from a ferocious atmospheric river. Nearly half a million homes and businesses remained without power as residents encountered blocked roads, rising floodwater and a relentless downpour that was expected to last for another day.

Nearly 10 inches of rain had been recorded by sunup in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Bel Air — more than half its average annual rainfall. The Hollywood Hills had been inundated, with morning traffic crawling past fallen trees and mud on narrow roadways. Rain totals in downtown Los Angeles had passed six inches after smashing a century-old daily rainfall record for Feb. 4, according to the National Weather Service.

Forecasters cautioned that the most dangerous part of the storm might still lie ahead, with less intense but nonstop showers expected to continue until Tuesday. Eight to 14 inches of rain could fall on Monday in parts of Southern California, potentially matching Los Angeles’s average annual rainfall total — 14 inches — in a single day.
Officials warned of the potential for more flooding and mudslides.
“We’ve got more rain coming, heavy rain, through the overnight hours,” said Joe Sirard, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Oxnard, north of Los Angeles. “Plus the existing rain that we’ve had, plus the rain we had earlier this week.”
Here’s what else to know:
  • The Weather Service warned of an “extremely dangerous situation” from landslides in the Hollywood Hills. Parts of the Santa Monica Mountains received more than seven inches of rain over two days, spawning mudslides that covered canyon roads in and out of Malibu. And in Los Angeles’s Studio City neighborhood, firefighters evacuated at least six people from their homes.
  • Despite the bad weather, many school districts in Southern California, including Los Angeles Unified, the nation’s second largest, were planning to keep their classrooms open.
  • Urgent warnings from Los Angeles officials telling people to stay off the roads didn’t put a damper on the Grammy Awards on Sunday night — although Miley Cyrus, the night’s first award winner, said she nearly missed the start of the ceremony.
  • In Northern California, an 82-year-old man was killed by a falling redwood in his Yuba City backyard as the storm swept through on Sunday, drenching the region and toppling trees that blocked streets in San Francisco. Here’s how the Bay Area fared.

Well, I'm glad the weather. has improved and nobody ever said that the temps in California were awful, but there was a lot of flooding and gusts up to 80
MPH, not exactly a beautiful day.

Yeah, there have been a couple of storms that brought high winds and a lot of rain. That is usual California weather at this time of the year.

So, you can pretend the weather wasn't that bad in California.
I'm not pretending anything, there is a lot of wind and rain. Nothing I haven't seen before in the 30 years I have lived in California.

If you noticed I never said that your weather over the last few days was related to climate change, I just said it wasn't the usual, "It's a lovely 70 digress in Santa Monica." Stop pretending that all you had was light rain all weekend, unless you happen to live in the one and only neighborhood that had no bad weather.

What on earth are you on about? The worst of the storm has already passed. The wind has died down and the rain is a little more than drizzle right now. Why are you so obsessed with the weather in Sothern California?

I'm not trying to convince you you're wrong because you are the type of denial who's home will be floating out to sea while you yell that climate change is a hoax.
Where have I ever claimed such a thing? Link please.

A rapture like cult.

MPH, not exactly a beautiful day.

Yeah, there have been a couple of storms that brought high winds and a lot of rain. That is usual California weather at this time of the year.

So, you can pretend the weather wasn't that bad in California.
I'm not pretending anything, there is a lot of wind and rain. Nothing I haven't seen before in the 30 years I have lived in California.

If you noticed I never said that your weather over the last few days was related to climate change, I just said it wasn't the usual, "It's a lovely 70 digress in Santa Monica." Stop pretending that all you had was light rain all weekend, unless you happen to live in the one and only neighborhood that had no bad weather.

What on earth are you on about? The worst of the storm has already passed. The wind has died down and the rain is a little more than drizzle right now. Why are you so obsessed with the weather in Sothern California?

I'm not trying to convince you you're wrong because you are the type of denial who's home will be floating out to sea while you yell that climate change is a hoax.
Where have I ever claimed such a thing? Link please.

A rapture like cult.
You would make a good straight man for a comedy act. Like Abbot and Hardy.

How much damage did it do, though?

Half of our summer hiking areas are still closed from the residue of Hilary that hit us.

A rapture like self delusion and willful ignorance.

Or, 'Ignorance is bliss'.

Tornadoes in February.

CNN —

Among the cocktail of extreme weather events that plow through the United States, tornadoes can be the most destructive and the most deadly especially for those unprepared for what’s to come.

As severe weather events intensify, occur more often and exacerbate the country’s growing economic toll, science is running to keep up to answer emerging questions of whether climate change is worsening every single disaster.
But unlike heat waves, floods and hurricanes, scientific research about the connection between the climate crisis and tornadoes has not been as easy to make; though climate researchers say uncertainty doesn’t mean it is unlikely, and experts are already seeing changes in how recent tornado outbreaks are behaving.

CNN —

A crucial system of ocean currents may already be on course to collapse, according to a new report, with alarming implications for sea level rise and global weather — leading temperatures to plunge dramatically in some regions and rise in others.

Using exceptionally complex and expensive computing systems, scientists found a new way to detect an early warning signal for the collapse of these currents, according to the study published Friday in the journal Science Advances. And as the planet warms, there are already indications it is heading in this direction.

The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (the AMOC) — of which the Gulf Stream is part — works like a giant global conveyor belt, taking warm water from the tropics toward the far North Atlantic, where the water cools, becomes saltier and sinks deep into the ocean, before spreading southward.

The currents carry heat and nutrients to different areas of the globe and play a vital role in keeping the climate of large parts of the Northern Hemisphere relatively mild.

For decades, scientists have been sounding the alarm on the circulation’s stability as climate change warms the ocean and melts ice, disrupting the balance of heat and salt that determines the currents’ strength.

While many scientists believe the AMOC will slow under climate change, and could even grind to a halt, there remains huge uncertainty over when and how fast this could happen. The AMOC has only been monitored continuously since 2004.

Reactions: DBT
Wasn’t the “Atlantic Conveyor shutdown” a threat of issue back in like, the 70s? Surprising if it has only been monitored for 20 years.

I watched a show on ocean ad air currents. Cold water sinks at the poles.

Tornadoes in February.

CNN —

Among the cocktail of extreme weather events that plow through the United States, tornadoes can be the most destructive and the most deadly especially for those unprepared for what’s to come.

As severe weather events intensify, occur more often and exacerbate the country’s growing economic toll, science is running to keep up to answer emerging questions of whether climate change is worsening every single disaster.
But unlike heat waves, floods and hurricanes, scientific research about the connection between the climate crisis and tornadoes has not been as easy to make; though climate researchers say uncertainty doesn’t mean it is unlikely, and experts are already seeing changes in how recent tornado outbreaks are behaving.

CNN —

A crucial system of ocean currents may already be on course to collapse, according to a new report, with alarming implications for sea level rise and global weather — leading temperatures to plunge dramatically in some regions and rise in others.

Using exceptionally complex and expensive computing systems, scientists found a new way to detect an early warning signal for the collapse of these currents, according to the study published Friday in the journal Science Advances. And as the planet warms, there are already indications it is heading in this direction.

The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (the AMOC) — of which the Gulf Stream is part — works like a giant global conveyor belt, taking warm water from the tropics toward the far North Atlantic, where the water cools, becomes saltier and sinks deep into the ocean, before spreading southward.

The currents carry heat and nutrients to different areas of the globe and play a vital role in keeping the climate of large parts of the Northern Hemisphere relatively mild.

For decades, scientists have been sounding the alarm on the circulation’s stability as climate change warms the ocean and melts ice, disrupting the balance of heat and salt that determines the currents’ strength.

While many scientists believe the AMOC will slow under climate change, and could even grind to a halt, there remains huge uncertainty over when and how fast this could happen. The AMOC has only been monitored continuously since 2004.

Europe is unusually warm, warmed by the AMOC. Paris is farther north than any major U.S. city in the "lower 48" yet has about the same average temperature as Kansas City.

Decades ago there was fear that Global warming might cause European cooling! (Since cold freshwater is less dense than warm salt water, the melting of Greenland's ice would lower the temperature of the ocean's surface water at Europe.)

But instead Europe has been the fastest-warming continent. IIUC most scientists are now less worried about this possible AMOC cooling.

But instead Europe has been the fastest-warming continent. IIUC most scientists are now less worried about this possible AMOC cooling.
About twenty years ago, climate modelling showed that a collapse of the thermohaline circulation in the North Atlantic was unlikely to occur this century; It's not been a concern because it's likely to be imminent, but because if and when it does occur, it will be catastrophic.

However, more recent models have suggested that a transition in the bi-stable state of this system could be considerably more likely to occur in the current century, with a very wide uncertainty about exactly when, but with a distribution of dates centred around 2057.

This remains an important and imminent concern, that we would do well to take extremely seriously.

But politicians get votes from coal mining communities, and donations from fossil fuel companies. And support for effective reductions in fossil fuel use is therefore non-existent.

So we are probably going to have to cope with the disease, because nobody is interested in the cure.

This remains an important and imminent concern, that we would do well to take extremely seriously.

Waddya mean “we”?
I’d be 107 in 2057. Even if still alive I doubt I’d be concerned with the Atlantic thermohaline heat conveyor.
But all y’all kids would probably be well advised to pay heed.

Waddya mean “we”?
I’d be 107 in 2057. Even if still alive I doubt I’d be concerned with the Atlantic thermohaline heat conveyor.
But all y’all kids would probably be well advised to pay heed.
The paper I linked provides a spread of possible dates; 2057 is the peak, but:

"We predict with high confidence the tipping to happen as soon as mid-century (2025–2095 is a 95% confidence range)".

If you look at the surface tenperature anomaly in recent years (NASA animations are at: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5207/), you can see in recent years a large cold spot south of Greenland, that makes me a little nervous (though it fades away in the final frame of the animation, and as we all know, the weather is fine in Santa Monica, so that's reassuring).

So you can't relax yet, grandpa. ;)

Tipping point? I am opting out. They get you for everything these days even self service. They want you to pay them for doing their job! They think they’re Tom Sawyer or something.
you can't relax yet, grandpa.
Watch me!
🤗

Back
Top Bottom