• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Climate Change(d)?

I'm fucking melting. I have A/C, but it was clearly not designed for a challenge of this magnitude. Seriously considering hopping on the BART and going to one of those colder neighborhoods for the rest of the morning, only everyone else is also going to be doing that...
Fortunately, we live in a place hot enough that the codes are serious about having enough capacity. We are looking at a forecast of 119 for Sunday--all time record here is 117.

76° today in Santa Monica.
Y’all need to move there.
Currently 49°F here in the upper Arkansas River Valley, on our way to a high of 82°.
Bright sunny skies… nice day for a ride and a swim.

I'm fucking melting. I have A/C, but it was clearly not designed for a challenge of this magnitude. Seriously considering hopping on the BART and going to one of those colder neighborhoods for the rest of the morning, only everyone else is also going to be doing that...
Fortunately, we live in a place hot enough that the codes are serious about having enough capacity. We are looking at a forecast of 119 for Sunday--all time record here is 117.
Forecast is back down to 118. And again on Tuesday.

6 to 10 inches of rain in Texass! I hope that dam holds.
Is there higher ground near Houston?

Forecast is back down to 118. And again on Tuesday.
And all the forecasts were wrong. 120F. Some other nearby cities also set all-time records.

It's actually not surprising given the termination shock from cleaning up shipping fuel.

Well, it was definitely cooler on the beach. But now my ass is on fire. Never enough sunscreen...
It's not a problem that you can solve with quantity.

I'm pretty light, I hike in SPF 30 or 50, often in attire that exposes some pretty white skin and it never even tans one bit. There are two important things: 1) Chemical sunscreens (anything that doesn't make you look pale when you apply it) wear out as they block UV. You must reapply periodically. 2) Any sunscreen can end up rubbed off. Your ass is probably on fire because you sat on it and messed up the sunscreen. Since I use the mineral stuff I only reapply if I did anything that might have compromised the protection--but I do always reapply if I do so. I've only been burnt when I made mistake with it.

The Maldives are well known as a bucket list getaway. Hearing the country's name conjures up images of luxury huts overlooking an aqua blue ocean. But climate change may cross the country off the map completely. The archipelago, which is made up of over 1,100 coral islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean, is the lowest lying nation in the world. Therefore, sea level rise caused by global climate change is an existential threat to the island nation. At the current rate of global warming, almost 80% of the Maldives could become uninhabitable by 2050, according to multiple reports from NASA and the U.S. Geological Survey. "Our islands are slowly being inundated by the sea, one by one," Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, the president of the Maldives, told the U.N. Climate Change Conference, or COP26, earlier this week. "If we do not reverse this trend, the Maldives will cease to exist by the end of this century."

ABC News

Low-lying tropical island nations were expected to be early victims of rising seas. But research tells a surprising story: Many islands are stable. Some have even grown. Scientists have come to understand some but not all of the reasons for this. Which is why a team of them recently converged in the Maldives, on an island they’d spend weeks outfitting with instruments and sensors and cameras.

NYT

Wait, the science isn't settled?

Low-lying tropical island nations were expected to be early victims of rising seas. But research tells a surprising story: Many islands are stable. Some have even grown. Scientists have come to understand some but not all of the reasons for this. Which is why a team of them recently converged in the Maldives, on an island they’d spend weeks outfitting with instruments and sensors and cameras.

NYT

Technically more islands shrank than grew, with the exception of reclaimed land via human means. That implies overall land loss still.

I remember the Maldives government stunt of holding a cabinet meeting underwater in 2009;

The government of the Maldives has held a cabinet meeting underwater to highlight the threat of global warming to the low-lying Indian Ocean nation. President Mohamed Nasheed and his cabinet signed a document calling for global cuts in carbon emissions. The president said the UN climate change conference in Copenhagen this December cannot be allowed to fail. At a later press conference while still in the water, President Nasheed was asked what would happen if the summit fails. "We are going to die," he replied.

BBC

A catastrophic 81 degrees in Santa Monica. Third Street Promenade is safe for now.

NYT

MAGAts are cute! Like acrobats they leap from one unsupported pole to another, though theirs are contradictory memes. Usually they don't even see their own contradictions!

First he'd have us believe that all climatologists are in the pay of George Soros, who needs their lies so he can use his space lasers to short Truth Social stock. (Or whatever Don Jr. and Mike Lindell are pushing now -- I don't try to keep track.) Now he pretends to believe that scientists are doing real science!
A catastrophic 81 degrees in Santa Monica. Third Street Promenade is safe for now.

You were asked what the gasoline cost would be to drive to nearby Edwards AFB and tell us about the balmy weather there, but you never got back to us. Nevermind. Here are temperatures so far in July:

1 July -- 101.5°F ... unusually cool
2 July -- 105.6°F
3 July -- 108.9°F
4 July -- 109.6°F
5 July -- 112.3°F
6 July -- 115.0°F ... warmer than nearby Santa Monica?
7 July -- 114.4°F
8 July -- 114.8°F
9 July -- 111.6°F

I remember the Maldives government stunt of holding a cabinet meeting underwater in 2009;

The government of the Maldives has held a cabinet meeting underwater to highlight the threat of global warming to the low-lying Indian Ocean nation. President Mohamed Nasheed and his cabinet signed a document calling for global cuts in carbon emissions. The president said the UN climate change conference in Copenhagen this December cannot be allowed to fail. At a later press conference while still in the water, President Nasheed was asked what would happen if the summit fails. "We are going to die," he replied.

BBC
You act like the idea of a rising sea level being considered a threat for a nation built an an atoll is ridiculous. I must have missed those TSwizzle OP's going into how soil particle redistribution caused by rising seas would lead to island shape modifications and not necessarily island disapperance. And of course, as the NY Times article you cited indicated, nearly half of the islands have shrunk.
Man, you take science illiteracy to a whole new level. It is currently approaching 100 degrees up in Portland, Oregon. It is typically cooler than your current temperature there.

You act like the idea of a rising sea level being considered a threat for a nation built an an atoll is ridiculous.

A cabinet meeting underwater is a ridiculous stunt worthy of the Just Stop Oil cultists. Sea levels have risen and fallen many, many times naturally. If these places are under threat from sea levels rising (and there is no evidence to suggest they are) putting extra bike lanes along Santa Monica and taking a few ICE cars off the road and replacing with EVs is not going to make any difference.

Man, you take science illiteracy to a whole new level. It is currently approaching 100 degrees up in Portland, Oregon. It is typically cooler than your current temperature there.

It's summer weather.

It really is a rapture like cult.

Back
Top Bottom